Church discontinues Saturday Evening Conference Sessions

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Lem
God

Re: Church discontinues Saturday Evening Conference Sessions

Post by Lem »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:43 pm
Lem wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:25 pm

“This change is being made because...”

I don’t get the logic of that sentence. What does that mean?
:lol: I can’t read lips, but for some reason it was perfectly clear what was being said in your gif.
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

Lem wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:25 pm
Beginning with October’s general conference and continuing thereafter, the Saturday evening sessions will be discontinued. Previously, a Saturday evening session was held for women (in October) and priesthood holders (in April). This change is being made because all sessions of general conference are now available to anyone who desires to watch or listen.
“This change is being made because...”

I don’t get the logic of that sentence. What does that mean?
My wife just read the announcement to me a couple of minutes ago - before I saw it here.

We kinda looked at each other and said: "Huh!?! What?!? Is that actually a reason - does it actually mean anything?

But to faithful members it is just one more sign that god is in control - with or without meaning.
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
consiglieri
Prophet

Post by consiglieri »

I guess stopping the live broadcast of Priesthood Session would be too obvious.
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

Kishkumen wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:04 pm
Looks like a smart move. It really doesn't impact me since I don't waste my time on GC anymore. I struggle to get through podcasts critiquing GC, even by the the best podcasters like RFM.
I look forward to GC!

I listen to the sustaining of the leaders, raise my hand in opposition to the FP and Q12, and then email my Branch and Stake Presidents to ask them to be sure that my opposition is noted (or at least counted) on the official record.

What could be more fun and uplifting than that!
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

The first draft was sent back for ponderizing, and the final product heavily redacted. Here is the original.
This change is being made because live stream viewership data indicated dramatically lower popularity of Saturday evening sessions, and subsequent member surveys indicate growing preference toward concentration of key messages. In the ongoing restoration, as our understanding expands, the Church believes that a pareto optimal solution for both attention-poor youth and abundantly-penitent boomers is a home-centered, church-supported 4-session general conference.
pistolero
Deacon

Post by pistolero »

Kishkumen wrote:
Looks like a smart move. It really doesn't impact me since I don't waste my time on GC anymore. I struggle to get through podcasts critiquing GC, even by the the best podcasters like RFM.
I don't know how they do it. I mean sit through so much guff.

It's strange, I used to lap-up General conference and those 10 hours were the best of my life once upon a time. I can barely get through a single talk these days. To make me further question my sanity, I also used to fast to make sure I could get the maximum out of it.

Every so often, once or twice within the last 15 years there has been a talk, or part of a talk that I've found really uplifting and glad I listened to/or watch. Elder Kearon, you know who you are. But in general they are dross.

I find the podcasts critiquing GC dull as well unfortunately. Although I have found some analysis of individual talks to be genius and laugh-out-loud funny. eg. RFM047: A Whale of A Tale.

Anyway, good news about Priesthood session. These things were a bit divisive anyhow. Also a bit of a sausage-fest. The sisters conferences was so clearly of secondary importance with the way everything was set up.
Sledge
Area Authority

Post by Sledge »

malkie wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:21 pm
Kishkumen wrote:
I look forward to GC!

I listen to the sustaining of the leaders, raise my hand in opposition to the FP and Q12, and then email my Branch and Stake Presidents to ask them to be sure that my opposition is noted (or at least counted) on the official record.

What could be more fun and uplifting than that!
Seems like a lot of work for nothing.
pistolero
Deacon

Post by pistolero »

Sledge wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:53 pm
Seems like a lot of work for nothing.
I've been saying this about GC for years now.
TheSonOfKorihor
Nursery

Post by TheSonOfKorihor »

drumdude wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:22 pm
I prophesy that within the next 10 years, conference will only be once per year.

In the name of Cheese and Rice, Ramen.
*Ramen*

But Drumdude, do you think the beloved leader Russell M. Nelson will last another ten years? I can’t see President Hoaks making that type of change. Rusty seems to really want to reshape the church in his image of what it should look like.
consiglieri
Prophet

Post by consiglieri »

I can’t imagine President Nelson giving up another opportunity to address the Saints unless there was a good reason behind it.