Midgley continues to re-write (and degrade) gemli’s in real life personal history

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Sledge
Area Authority

Re: Midgley continues to re-write (and degrade) gemli’s in real life personal history

Post by Sledge »

Lem wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:27 am
Sledge wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:18 am
....you clearly have no idea what it means to be Mormon.
you said that to doc Cam? :lol: that's the funniest thing I've read all day.
You should get out more.
Lem
God

Re: Midgley continues to re-write (and degrade) gemli’s in real life personal history

Post by Lem »

Sledge wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:34 am
Lem wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:27 am

you said that to doc Cam? :lol: that's the funniest thing I've read all day.
You should get out more.
Sharks are smooth.
Sledge
Area Authority

Post by Sledge »

Lem wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:43 am
Sledge wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:34 am

You should get out more.
Sharks are smooth.
Yes that is your go-to nonsensical term for when you’ve lost.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Say it with me: sharks are smooth no matter what angle you’re touching it from

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:17 am
Say it with me: sharks are smooth no matter what angle you’re touching it from

- Doc
:lol:
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Sledge wrote:
They don't "worship the dollar."
Yes, they just happen to have a 300 billion dollar hedge fund called Ensign Peak Advisors. As one does, who does not worship money..

"Look at what a modest 6 figure stipend the general authorities draw, and look how our lay leadership have all the burden of running the church with zero pay"

You're not painting your queer little religion in a good light with any of those arguments, but you can't see that from within the cult.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

On the point of Catholicism vs Mormonism I'll just leave this personal experience.

When I volunteered at the Bishop's storehouse, I spent my hours giving out food to needy ward members.

When I volunteer at the Catholic food pantry, I spend my hours giving out food to any needy person off the street who comes to the window to be helped.

It's not hard to see which church follows Christ and which follows mammon.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Sledge wrote:
What is an "MG" is that some kind of insult?
Yes.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

Without being able to say all that much about Mormonism as it actually is, the "uncanny valley" is the term I was missing for my own impression of Mormonism.

I'm not saying that this perception of mine is necessarily accurate or objective or anything, or that anyone should care about my perception, but for what it's worth it is a fact of my perception that Mormonism seems particularly weird and, well, made up. And I don't just find all religions that way, or all unfamiliar religions. Some flavors of Christianity seem less weird to me because they're familiar, and plenty of other world religions seem foreign to me, because they are, but I have no trouble assuming that they're genuine and authentic and such. Mormonism is in an uncanny valley for me, where it's too close to the Christianity I know to just seem exotic and foreign, but also definitely off in a lot of ways that might well not seem major to a complete outsider but that seem huge to me.

I think it's really exactly the uncanny valley effect, where something is close enough to the familiar for its discrepancies to stand out sharply. And as with those nearly-realistic computer graphics people that look like ghouls, when less realistic cartoons just look cute, Mormonism keeps seeming not just different to me, but disturbingly wrong.

I try not to let that instinctive reaction affect my conscious judgements too much. Maybe this recognition of the uncanny valley effect will help me in compensating for it.
I was a teenager before it was cool.