Midgley continues to re-write (and degrade) gemli’s in real life personal history

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Philo Sofee
God

Re: Midgley continues to re-write (and degrade) gemli’s in real life personal history

Post by Philo Sofee »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:44 am
Moksha wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:31 am
Did Midgley have a chance to insult Riskas?
I’m sure it’d go some thing like:

Louis Midgley > Riskas

Riskas: "...makes credible sense" to whom? To ignorant, opinionated Riskas. We must keep in mind that this is the same dogmatic Riskas who, when I asked him if actually read something by Nibley or Gee, since hence boasted that he had once been a Latter-day Saint, and knew exactly how wonderful our faith is. Riskas admitted that he had never read of either author. All Riskas knows about the faith of the Saints, which is essentially nothing, is what Riskas does not now remember from those teaching seminary students back in high school yet.

Riskas is a certifiable fake and fraud. Riskas demonstrates that this is the case every time he opines.

- Doc
:lol: :lol: :lol: The best Midgley impersonation online! Well done!
Lem
God

Re: Midgley continues to re-write (and degrade) gemli’s in real life personal history

Post by Lem »

Louis Midgley gemli • 2 days ago

One must keep in mind that gemli was recently telling us what all theologians believe. But gemli has not been able to name a single author who self-identifies as a theologian. gemli merely asserts things without ever providing supporting evidence.

gemli Louis Midgley • 2 days ago

I don't care who says what. I care about what they say, and whether it makes credible sense.

Louis Midgley gemli • 21 hours ago

gemli: "...makes credible sense" to whom? To ignorant, opinionated gemli. We must keep in mind that this is the same dogmatic gemli who, when I asked him if actually read something by by Augustine or Thomas Aquinas, since hence boasted that he had once been a Roman Catholic, and knew exactly how absurd that faith is. gemli admitted that he had never heard of either one. All gemli knows about the faith of Roman Catholics, which is essentially nothing, is what gemli does not now remember from those teaching Nuns back in grade school yet.

gemli is a certifiable fake and fraud. gemli demonstrates that this is the case every time he opines.

gemli Louis Midgley • 19 hours ago

Perhaps we need to take a break.

http://disq.us/p/2hi
:roll: gemli is too kind.
Tom
Area Authority

Post by Tom »

Louis Midgley gemli • 2 days ago • edited
It seems that gemli has been posting his clumsy version of intellectual "slight of hand magic."

I doubt that gemli has actually read any of these "many books on atheism." If he has, let him name these books, with the names of their authors. I have urged gemli to read a book about the varieties of atheism. I would shocked if gemli even owns that book.

gemli Louis Midgley • 2 days ago

For whatever good it might do for me to list them, here are the books on atheism and related topics that I currently own and have read:
The Art of Worldly Wisdom, Baltasaar Gracien
The Ancestor's Tale, Richard Dawkins
Treatise on the Gods, H.L. Mencken
Letter to a Christian Nation, Sam Harris
The End of Faith, Sam Harris
The Moral Landscape, Sam Harris
The Origin of Species, Charles Darwin
god is Not Great, Christopher Hitchens
Atheist Universe, David Mills
The God Argument, A.C. Grayling
The Quotable Atheist, Jack Humerman
The Devil's Chaplain, Richard Dawkins
The God Delusion, Richard Dawkins
Freethinkers, Susan Jacoby
The Great Agnostic, Susan Jacoby
Breaking the Spell, Daniel C. Dennett

Louis Midgley gemli • 10 hours ago

And this is a list of books that gemli claims he has actually read, and but that Katrina destroyed? Or is this the list of books that gemli now claims to have assembled Katrina and has read? Could gemli right now indicate which of these books supports his ideology, and exactly how any of them ramble on as he does in his comments on sic et non. If gemli needs some help in doing this, I can actually provide some assistance.
(Emphasis added)

To quote the Sic et Non proprietor, "Reading is so hard."
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Midgley is such an ass. Here’s the post on which he apparently based his deeply insensitive and rude comments about the effect of hurricane katrina.
gemli Louis Midgley • 3 days ago

Although Hurricane Katrina took all of my books, family photos, journals and everything else I owned in 2005, I've collected a few books since then. I'm looking at my bookshelf now, and there are many books on atheism, cosmology, physics, electronics, computer programming and a few books of piano music. I was interested in sleight of hand magic and have a small library of books and DVDs on that subject. I've also published articles in three academic library technical journals. But why do you think this is important, and what would constitute proof?

http://disq.us/p/2hhg0dc
Tom
Area Authority

Post by Tom »

Lem wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:04 pm
Midgley is such an ass. Here’s the post on which he apparently based his deeply insensitive and rude comments about the effect of hurricane katrina.
gemli Louis Midgley • 3 days ago

Although Hurricane Katrina took all of my books, family photos, journals and everything else I owned in 2005, I've collected a few books since then. I'm looking at my bookshelf now, and there are many books on atheism, cosmology, physics, electronics, computer programming and a few books of piano music. I was interested in sleight of hand magic and have a small library of books and DVDs on that subject. I've also published articles in three academic library technical journals. But why do you think this is important, and what would constitute proof?

http://disq.us/p/2hhg0dc
Thanks for adding that, Lem.
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Tom wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:14 pm
Lem wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:04 pm

Thanks for adding that, Lem.
You are quite welcome. It always amazes me that simple kindness and basic sensitivity to the tragedies that others experience doesn't seem to be a part of the lds church Midgley believes in.
Dr LOD
Nursery

Post by Dr LOD »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:54 am
Mormonism is the Uncanny Valley of religions. It’s intentional, because its ‘aesthetic’ is that of a corporation at its core. Mormon leadership, since its inception, worships the dollar, and have defiled Christianity with a grotesque defilement of Jesus’ ministry and example, and replaced it with cheap chapels, carpeted wainscoting, and try-hard temples that look as if they were designed by a sister from Panguitch, UT - all of it to maximize these revenue centers to be as dull as stupid possible while extracting as much money and labor from the flock as possible. Their corporate-speak any given Sunday is as dull and dim as their members are. Who else could dedicate a life to endless pablum taught to children and adults alike? Members revel in their emotional and intellectual mediocrity as if they’re brilliant spiritualists and philosophers - what a foolish people they are.

- Doc
Doc,

I love your first sentence of that paragraph.

I have a kid who just received a mission call, reading all the pre-mission material from the Church really does feel like a visit to the "Uncanny Valley."

As far as how we the parents feel we didn't encourage it. And for the most part feel it has the potential to be more of a negative for his future. But we did raise him in the religion, and most of his social group is LDS. So I guess it is expected. At least he is being sent out of the country and to a frontier type of mission. And avoided becoming the equivalent of a full time "stake missionary" in the states. I'm pretty sure my GA contact/friend, who is also a mentor to this kid pulled some strings on the mission placement.

Oh, and Midgley is a pompous racist a$$, that was only able to have a so called "academic career" by prostituting himself as an Mopologist.
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

gemli Louis Midgley • a day ago

Perhaps we need to take a break.

-------
Louis Midgley gemli • 3 hours ago

gemli simply cannot provide evidence, and so he wants "to take a break." So up goes the White Flag.

I am confident that dogmatic gemli will soon be back posting the same rubbish again. gemli will again make assertions and hence he will, without realizing it, assume the burden of proof, which he has never once been able to provide.

gemli wrongly imagines that something is true merely because he makes an assertion.

----−
Louis Midgley Philip Leaning • 19 hours ago

gemli does not expect to be taken seriously. He just needs some attention before he believes hopes or expects to cease to exist as a conscious being. We might even say that gemli has a tiny little faith or even hope to which he clings. Those nice Nuns seem to have put a fear of God i,

http://disq.us/p/2hivib5
No honey. gemli, like many others, is worried that you might be having a series of strokes, as evidenced by the incoherence in your recent posts.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

dogmatic gemli

gemli will again make assertions and hence he will, without realizing it, assume the burden of proof

gemli wrongly imagines that something is true merely because he makes an assertion.
I wish the midge had intelligence enough to realize the irony in this being said by a Mormon apologist.
DrStakhanovite
Elder

Post by DrStakhanovite »

Sledge wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:58 am
Philo Sofee wrote: Lol.... oh I am just sure you have read it and grasp it. Please do tell me all about it.
Looks like your own comrade took him to task and they came out looking like a deer in headlights.

https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?5,897642

And Bro. Christensen deals the final blow, Mortal Kombat style

https://journal.interpreterfoundation.o ... Mormonism/
Looking back on Riskas made me laugh, I caught a ban there at exmormon.org for that stunt. Probably not the approach I’d take today, but I also doubt time would improve my estimation of Riskas. I’m not really his audience though and neither is Kevin Christensen for that matter, that book was written for Ex-Mormons by an Ex-Mormon in my estimation.

Thomas Riskas comes from the world of counter-apologetics, a small but active sphere on the internet that churns out a steady stream of content of blog posts, books, and podcasts. The similarities between that community and mopologists are numerous and striking in my opinion. Both tend to be wildly insular and overestimate their abilities, often making liberal use of bombastic writing to make their content conform to the standards of clickbait. These communities have some well credentialed content creators and go to some lengths to present themselves as “academic adjacent”, but the merits of their work is mixed at best and crass polemics at the worst.

Gemli also bears the unmistakable marks of being a traveler in counter-apologetics, that book list Dr.Cam helpfully posted reveals someone who has made numerous purchases from the “Atheism & Agnosticism” section at a bookstore; with people like David Mills on that list, probably a used bookstore too. There really isn’t anything objectionable about the list, Gemli doesn’t present as anything other than a regular dude voicing his opinions in the comments section of a website.

While it seems apparent that Riskas had developed some kind of relationship with the late Kai Nielsen (he died in April of 2021), I think John Loftus exerts far more influence on Riskas. Nielsen was first and foremost someone primarily concerned with ethical behavior and governance and his entry into the philosophy of religion was due to his encounters with religious thinkers in politics. What made him so visible was the fact he was a philosopher who was very willing to debate Christian apologists, this is probably how Riskas discovered him. By the time Riskas was putting together his book, Nielsen was already part of a dying breed of philosophers whose influence was at an all time low. The time where Nielsen’s moral philosophy would have had currency in his field was long gone by the time he retired and his contributions to the philosophy of religion are either introductory in nature or echo what English philosophers at Oxford and Cambridge said in the 50s and 60s were already saying. None of this should reflect poorly on Nielsen, but very little of what Riskas has to say about Mormonism stems from him reading Nielsen.

Loftus on the other hand has his fingerprints all over the text. If you wanna see Loftus in action, pull up google and search for “Debunking Christianity” and enjoy the circus. Loftus is one of those goons who has decided to turn his past as a Christian minister turned atheist into a secular ministry dedicated to reaching the lost Christians who need to be taught how to think properly. If you peruse the man’s blog you will be treated to a self-serving array of image macros called “Cure-for-Christianity-Knockout-Quotes” which takes an image and overlays a text quote on it. The quotes range from things John Loftus has said or his friends, including past comments on his blog. All of this is done without a hint of self awareness, at first you might think it is a parody but let me assure you, this is absolutely done in the spirit of utmost confidence and seriousness. Here is a random example:

If you look at Riskas under the light of counter-apologetics, his work makes much more sense. ‘Deconstructing Mormonism’ isn’t a formal analysis conducted in a thorough manner with an eye for detail, it is a polemic that details how and why Riskas stopped being a Mormon. His “research” isn’t anything more than an amalgamation of different books he has read that he links through the common thread of Mormonism. He delivers his judgments about the intellectual viability of Mormonism in the same manner a professional wrestler performs strikes on an opponent: exaggerated and a little dramatic. There is value in this kind of writing and it has its place.

The real drawback of Riskas is that he doesn’t fully understand the ideas and concepts he imports into the book. Adopting Kai Nielsen’s stance on metaphysics and language is a major liability unless you came to those same conclusions yourself as a result of working through the various issues. Riskas doesn’t really seem to grasp that a personal journey from a believer to ex-believer doesn’t constitute a meaningful education and doesn’t confer upon him any unique access to the topic of religion. The unwarranted confidence Riskas has in himself is just a symptom of immersing yourself in the world of counter-apologetics; when “refuting the apologists” becomes a team sport your vision becomes clouded and narrowed.

Would I recommend the book? Sure, if it looks interesting at all and you want to read it, please do! Did I like it? Not at all. Does it constitute a meaningful challenge to Mormonism? Only inasmuch the sources Riskas uses do, he adds very little of value on top of that. I imagine that a Daniel McClellan or a Tarik LaCour wouldn’t be at all perturbed by the contents of this book and could meet its challenges in such a way that I would end up siding with them over Riskas, even though he and I are not believers and the other two gentlemen are.

Alas, the Interpreter Foundation doesn’t exactly have people like McClellan or LaCour on their active duty roster. That honor gets handed down to Kevin Christensen who has been recycling the same ideas for over two decades and is one of the most boring people to read. If I had to sum up Christensen in a word, that word would have to be “sedated”. To make matters worse, his grasp on philosophical topics is about even with Riskas. A “Christensen reads Riskas” type situation is like dumping old styrofoam coolers onto an active tire fire. Nobody comes away from it better off.

I’d place Thomas Riskas in the same category as most Mopologists in terms of substance, ironically though his book actually exceeds the standards that FAIR or the Interpreter Foundation use for their own in-house contributors. In that sense, Riskas is probably the kind of critic they deserve.