Midgley continues to re-write (and degrade) gemli’s in real life personal history

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Physics Guy
God

Re: Midgley continues to re-write (and degrade) gemli’s in real life personal history

Post by Physics Guy »

Huh. I can't say whether Colvin's valley is the same as mine, seen from another side, or a whole different valley. But I think you're right that the sense of "almost but not quite, and it makes a surprisingly big difference" is indeed the uncanny valley phenomenon. If I mentioned the uncanny valley sometime in the past in connection with Mormonism, I don't remember that now. In this thread I picked it up from Doc, thinking it was his contribution.
I was a teenager before it was cool.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: Midgley continues to re-write (and degrade) gemli’s in real life personal history

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

That Little crap continues to spin in circles and slap himself on the head. After being chided for not picking up an obvious and clever handle by a user known as Defund the Police (he has an avatar of The Police, which put together is a fun and playful take on BLM’s DtP mantra). A little background:
Defund The Police > Louis Midgley

Louis, “Professor Peterson (a.k.a. Dan) was responding to someone posting under the truly stupid and also impossible and fully stupid slogan "defund the police." Do we not need the FBI? And agents checking passports at Airports and so on and so forth? Or some people who can come to our assistance if we have problem on our highways, or in our neighborhoods? Should not there be police to protect the nations capitol from a mob sent to trash it?”

Louis, you might want to look at my avatar pic. It’s a picture of one of the most successful and influential bands of all time, “The Police.”
Louis Midgley > Defund The Police

DTP: Sorry, but police power is in the USA the power to protect the public health, welfare, safety and morals is exercised at both the State and National level by a great many agencies that are not by the name police. One ought to know that I got a PhD in Political Science, and taught in a department know as Political Science, and briefly as Government. I when I first arrived at BYU, I taught what is still known as American Government.

And if you were ever drafted into the US Army, and went through Basic Training, you were frequently told to police the area, that is pick us something--anything--on the ground. They shouted that they wanted to see nothing but elbows and one other part of the human anatomy, if I remember correctly. And they used the English word police correctly.
I mean, the sheer level of pigheadedness and insecurity oozing through the above post is so cringe that it’s hard to really wrap your mind around what it’d be like being around this daft dope as a student or colleague. He literally had no comprehension about what DtP was telling him, but that didn’t stop him from doubling down by assuming DtP’s was an insult, and launching into some weird nonsense post about what kind of degree he obtained or what he taught at BYU. Good Lord, I feel bad for those students that had to suffer this fool.

Anyway, someone must’ve clued him in because he posted this begrudging and kind of crappy mea culpa to DtP:
Louis Midgley > Defund The Police

DTP: Sorry, but I was no more interested in or aware of Pop Culture then than I am now. I don't think that I am guilty of a crime for this proclivity.
That comment was followed by this slight chiding:
Brother North > Louis Midgley

Then you shouldn't be commenting on things you know nothing about. You're like the joke of a person who refuses to learn anything about what they're commenting upon.
That Little crap, of course, feels himself victimized by Brother North’s reproach:
Louis Midgley > Brother North

Brother North: I am sorry that you dislike me. And think that I am a kind of "joke of a person who refuses to learn anything about what they're commenting upon."
Sister Midgley was a goddamn Saint.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Self-absorbed but not self-reflexive
Spot damned on, Ms. Colvin. I’d like to add:

Humble, but arrogant as “F”.

And DCP was mystified why anyone would think a Mormon could be a hayseed and dimwit. He sees that every day with Midgley posting like one.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:49 pm
Self-absorbed but not self-reflexive
Spot damned on, Ms. Colvin.
PG pointed out to me you brought up the uncanny valley idea; I think your definition here gets to the heart of a lot of Colvin's comparisons, no matter how sincere an individual believer may be, they are pushed in this direction:
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:54 am
...Mormonism is the Uncanny Valley of religions. It’s intentional, because its ‘aesthetic’ is that of a corporation at its core...
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Speaking of uncanny, I find it absolutely astonishing Dowsing the Dan doesn’t help a lapdog out when he makes yet another gaffe in a long, never ending, string of gaffes:
That Little crap > Jack

John Gee has demonstrated, I believe, that those training for the ministry are most often bored still by courses in theology. If you will read my remarks above, you will see why. We all, even if we do not realize it, live in and by stories. The only question is which stories offer something beyond the ignorant present, and hence also how we are to seek to be what God wants us to become, of course, with his help, if we genuinely seek his help. Otherwise we are all merely caught in the miseries of this world, even with we are now seemingly currently wealthy, powerful and famous.
It’s ‘bored stiff’ you nitwit. Also, has anyone noticed the robot never uses contractions? Does he believe he sounds more sophisticated if he tries to one up Data’s autism? Dan, do your idiot poseur friend a solid and either edit his posts for him, or review them before he makes himself look like more of a fool than he already has.

OR.

Censor his ad hominem attacks on others over trivialities, like, you know, a misspelling or grammar gaffe. It’s nonsense.

- Doc
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

John Gee has demonstrated, I believe, that those training for the ministry are most often bored still by courses in theology. If you will read my remarks above, you will see why. We all, even if we do not realize it, live in and by stories.
Right, which is what Givens and the new MI have been trying to tell you guys: it's all about the stories and the lessons the stories can teach us. Not about whether the story is historical, or taken from an ancient manuscript.

When Jesus told the parable of the talents, to understand the point of the story, it doesn't matter if there were three laborers in the vineyard in reality that did exactly as explained in the story. The truth of fiction is measured not by the degree the story represents an accurate newscast, but the degree it picks up on reality and interprets it in a way that is feels meaningful to us. Moby Dick might not have been about people or a whale that actually existed, but it's far more about reality than the latest episode of the Kardashians, even though what you're seeing on the episode really did happen exactly as it says because it's being filmed live.

It's odd then that Midgley doesn't see the light and embrace liberal fictionalists as his brothers.

I've written a lot on this site about the Book of Mormon as "faithful fiction". This has nothing to do with the stories being meaningful. It has everything to do with the Book of Mormon being magical -- unable to be explained. People have this impulse that any kind of wisdom saying is that much more powerful if it's ancient or if it is something that really happened a long time ago. These kinds of people are more interested in the story about the story, rather than the story itself. The story itself fades into the backdrop as a victim of its own supposed truthfulness.

I think it's very difficult to live in both worlds. If you're a person uncompromising on historicism, then it's unlikely you're the person spending spending all day looking for the meaning in the (historically accurate) story itself.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:59 am
Speaking of uncanny, I find it absolutely astonishing Dowsing the Dan doesn’t help a lapdog out when he makes yet another gaffe in a long, never ending, string of gaffes:
That Little crap > Jack

John Gee has demonstrated, I believe, that those training for the ministry are most often bored still by courses in theology. If you will read my remarks above, you will see why. We all, even if we do not realize it, live in and by stories. The only question is which stories offer something beyond the ignorant present, and hence also how we are to seek to be what God wants us to become, of course, with his help, if we genuinely seek his help. Otherwise we are all merely caught in the miseries of this world, even with we are now seemingly currently wealthy, powerful and famous.
It’s ‘bored stiff’ you nitwit. Also, has anyone noticed the robot never uses contractions? Does he believe he sounds more sophisticated if he tries to one up Data’s autism? Dan, do your idiot poseur friend a solid and either edit his posts for him, or review them before he makes himself look like more of a fool than he already has.

OR.

Censor his ad hominem attacks on others over trivialities, like, you know, a misspelling or grammar gaffe. It’s nonsense.

- Doc
It’s nice to see Mr. Peterson reach out to his friend and implement our suggestion. Louis edited his post above:
Louis Midgley Jack • 4 days ago • edited

John Gee has demonstrated, I believe, that those training for the ministry are most often bored stiff by courses in theology. If you will read my remarks above, you will see why. We all, even if we do not realize it, live in and by stories. The only question is which stories offer something beyond the ignorant present, and hence also how we are to seek to be what God wants us to become, of course, with his help, if we genuinely seek his help. Otherwise we are all merely caught in the miseries of this world, even with we are now seemingly currently wealthy, powerful and famous.
Hey, Dowsing. I know you’re busy letting your blog’s commenters who irk you know you’re much too busy to engage them in, well, whatever it is you do. But, you know you can scratch that itch here on the Celestial forum, yes? We’ve invited you to participate for years on the Celestial forum where heavy moderation is enforced. If you’re going to spend so much time on this board reading all the threads, you’d be happier sparring with gentile opponents there instead of exchanges burger banalities on Patheos, no?

- Doc
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Peterson enjoys "punching down" on the commenters to his blog. Engaging with the posters here would be "punching up" and potentially expose him to great personal and professional embarrassment.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:54 am
...Mormonism is the Uncanny Valley of religions.
Interestingly the term Uncanny Valley was used by E.T.A. Hoffmann, who is also familiar to LDS people for his earlier work, The Golden Pot.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace