Recent Threadjacks

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
malkie
God

Recent Threadjacks

Post by malkie »

Is it only me, or does anyone else notice a pattern here.

1. Someone starts a thread.
2. Others comment on topic.
3. Someone highjacks the thread, usually with some little quibble.
4. Half the thread devolves into side discussions that are completely off topic.
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
Mixman76
Nursery

Re: Recent Threadjacks

Post by Mixman76 »

Yep, Sledge is really good at that.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Mixman76 wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:27 am
Yep, Sledge is really good at that.
Someone has to defend the good Dr. Peterson's name around here, he's not going to do it himself!
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

The ignore function is being under-utilised. I’ve reported off topic postings before with no response that I’m aware of. So thread jacking goes on (and is facilitated by other posters responding) unabated. It’s been much more noticeable of late.

It will be interesting to see if this thread gets thread jacked…
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Seemingly nine times out of ten, the person who reports a thread jack does so only after he or she has responded to the thread jack half a dozen times.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

My experience is that different boards, and different people on the same board, often have different ideas about what threads are supposed to be. Some think that a thread is supposed to stick to its original topic and when it runs dry, die with honor. Others think of message board threads as conversation topics which just naturally drift. The original topic is for time only, as it were.

There are things to be said for both approaches, I think. For what it's worth I'd rather err on the side of having too much threadjacking, because at least that's more lively. Erring on the opposite side tends to reduce board activity overall, it seems to me. If a thread gets jacked there's always the option of jacking it back again, and reverting to the original topic with a post that attracts more attention.

(Seeking a term for that, I considered "threadjilling", but even apart from another tendentiously gendered term being the last thing we need, I find it just hard to say. I propose "backjacking" for how it rolls off the tongue.)

I think that maybe Celestial here is better at keeping threads on their initial rails. Going there for more disciplined threads might be an option.
Last edited by Physics Guy on Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
I was a teenager before it was cool.
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:32 am
Seemingly nine times out of ten, the person who reports a thread jack does so only after he or she has responded to the thread jack half a dozen times.
Are you saying the moderators will only respond to off topic notifications providing the notifier hasn't responded to the off topic posts being reported?
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

malkie wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:04 am
Is it only me, or does anyone else notice a pattern here.

1. Someone starts a thread.
2. Others comment on topic.
3. Someone highjacks the thread, usually with some little quibble.
4. Half the thread devolves into side discussions that are completely off topic.
This pattern happens but I do not see a negative here. A thread follows the line of peoples interest. I think they should roam free. I remember some threads I found interesting which happily followed two subject lines.

I cannot see an ownership issue here.
Symmachus
Valiant A

Post by Symmachus »

huckelberry wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:03 pm
]
This pattern happens but I do not see a negative here. A thread follows the line of peoples interest. I think they should roam free. I remember some threads I found interesting which happily followed two subject lines.

I cannot see an ownership issue here.
Excuse me, Huck, but this thread is about off-topic thread jacks, not whether you think they are good or not.

Personally, I hate on-topic thread jacks.
(who/whom)

"As to any slivers of light or any particles of darkness of the past, we forget about them."
—B. Redd McConkie
Bought Yahoo
High Councilman

Post by Bought Yahoo »

I like cutsie cartoons posted with memes, or without memes. A light saber is a huge plus.