Midgley and Nathan Whilk Slam Blair Hodges, Exult in Changes to "New" MI

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Midgley and Nathan Whilk Slam Blair Hodges, Exult in Changes to "New" MI

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Louis Midgley has been a fountain of malicious gossip over on "SeN" today. Check it out:
Robert Loyd wrote:I've been out of the loop for for a while regarding the Maxwell institute, what positive changes have happened since Elder Holland spoke to them?
Louis Midgley wrote:Robert Lloyd:

Three things seem to me to be positive:

1. Terryl Givens, who is retired, and, with his wife, moved to Provo, and both of them volunteer at the Maxwell Institute. Just having Terryl
and his wife around has, I believe, tamed and thereby improved things.

2. They have had Grant Hardy do a Maxwell Institute version of the Book of Mormon. All of the scholarly apparatus is excellent. And they have published a twelve book series on the Book of Mormon. I have read the one by my former student, David F. Holland, who holds an endowed Chair at the Harvard Divinity School. His book is on Moroni, and I am drafting a review. And Terryl Givens did another one that I have read carefully. We have reviewed more or less favorably several others in this series.

3. One of those who was deeply involved in the original meld-down--that is, that disgusting plot to give Professor Peterson the boot, suddenly "resigned" and now teaches English, with his wife, in Spanish Fork. Blair Dee Hodges, the flighty Public Relations person, also suddenly resigned and found some employment closer to his home somewhere in Salt Lake County, where he will not be opining about the faith of the Saints. That leaves only D. Morgan Davis of those who plotted the coup. He is still a highly paid Senior Research Fellow who was one of 21 different "editors" involved in the publication of those 12 books on the Book of Mormon. I am actually pleased that J. Spencer Fluhman, Phillip L. Barlow, D. Morgan Davis and Blair D. Hodges were merely "editors" of the series of twelve books on portions of the Book of Mormon, and that they got others to actually write those books. Sometimes less is actually more--and better.
"the flighty Public Relations person"? That's not very nice at all. And to think: Hodges was relatively quiet about the fact that Midgley completely revised Hodges' FARMS essay so that it was more attack-oriented, thus proving that articles were deliberately changed in order to make them more aggressive and hostile. Meanwhile, who is the other person Midgley's referring to here--i.e., the one who "teaches English, with his wife, in Spanish Fork"?

Regardless, the commentator knows as "Defund the Police" has objections to what Midgley is doing:
Defund the Police wrote:Good grief Louis. How old are you again? Your post reads like a jealous school girl’s diary. Do you really think this kind of post is appropriate? This people you are publicly attacking are in good standing with the Church. And, even if they weren’t, this behavior is beyond disgusting.
And Nathan Whilk immediately chimes in:
Nathan Whilk wrote:Please comment on the appropriateness of Blair Hodges calling Nathaniel Givens' article " ill-conceived thinly veiled white supremacy".
Huh. That's interesting. Does anyone have a link to this?

Midgley, in any event, continues to deny that he's done anything wrong:
Louis Midgley wrote:Who, I wonder, appointed someone who hides their true identity to be both an accuser and also the judge?
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: Midgley and Nathan Whilk Slam Blair Hodges, Exult in Changes to "New" MI

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Welp. Now we know who the factions were.

Edit: Also here is Whilk’s Twitter page.

https://mobile.Twitter.com/natewhilk?lang=en

He seems to be upset about some things.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

I'm sure Peterson will be hired back any day now.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:46 pm
Meanwhile, who is the other person Midgley's referring to here--i.e., the one who "teaches English, with his wife, in Spanish Fork"?
Dr. Carl Griffin, scholar of Syriac.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

DtP's reaction seems to be one of a Chapel Mormon confronted with the nether regions of a SeN dragon. He quite naturally reacted with shock and dismay that it emitted both fire and flatulence.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Louis “that little crap” Midgley > Jack

The tall tale that was (and still is) being circulated, when Professor Peterson was fired by email yet, when he was on University business in Jerusalem, is that the Brethren had ordered it, and they had done so because they hated our defense of the faith and the Saints. This story was the work of some uninformed, hate filled people, with truly frenzied minds, who desperately wanted that to be true.

Please everyone notice that I am pleased with some of the things that the very well-funded Maxwell Institute had done after the Apostolic scolding. And I have included the Maxwell Institute in my prayers at least once each day for quite a long time. And I never pray for failure, just as I never asked to be paid for my voluntary work at FARMS/Maxwell Institute other than the sheer pleasure of being involved in a very worthy endeavor.
Drip, drip, drip.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Midgley wrote: The tall tale that was (and still is) being circulated, when Professor Peterson was fired by email yet, when he was on University business in Jerusalem, is that the Brethren had ordered it, and they had done so because they hated our defense of the faith and the Saints. This story was the work of some uninformed, hate filled people, with truly frenzied minds, who desperately wanted that to be true.

Please everyone notice that I am pleased with some of the things that the very well-funded Maxwell Institute had done after the Apostolic scolding. And I have included the Maxwell Institute in my prayers at least once each day for quite a long time. And I never pray for failure, just as I never asked to be paid for my voluntary work at FARMS/Maxwell Institute....
This sounds very much like a section of Gina Colvin's description of a Mormon environment where it is ok to be:
...Service oriented but not care oriented

Devout but not holy

Religious but not spiritual

Studied but not thoughtful

Worthy but not good....

https://old.reddit.com/r/Mormon/comment ... on_trauma/
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:46 pm
Louis Midgley has been a fountain of malicious gossip over on "SeN" today. Check it out:
<snip>
...the commentator knows as "Defund the Police" has objections to what Midgley is doing:
Defund the Police wrote:Good grief Louis. How old are you again? Your post reads like a jealous school girl’s diary. Do you really think this kind of post is appropriate? This people you are publicly attacking are in good standing with the Church. And, even if they weren’t, this behavior is beyond disgusting.
What's even more disgusting is Peterson's direct response:
DanielPeterson Mod Defund The Police • 3 hours ago

DTP: "Good grief Louis. How old are you again? Your post reads like a jealous school girl’s diary. Do you really think this kind of post is appropriate? This people you are publicly attacking are in good standing with the Church. And, even if they weren’t, this behavior is beyond disgusting."

Can it, DTP. Professor Midgley is a long-time friend of mine who knows what happened.

You're not, and you don't.

http://disq.us/p/2hlozrh
Previously I had assumed he was ignoring the Midge's comments because of Midge's obvious mental impairments, but this time, apparently he feels Midgley's highly inappropriate attacks are acceptable. They are not.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

DanielPeterson Mod Defund The Police • 4 hours ago
DTF: "And if Blair ever publicly personally attacked someone, then he would be as guilty as Louis Midgley."

I think you meant to say that he would be as guilty as you are.
Have the people at the Maxwell Institute ever tried to prevent the constant mud from being thrown on them by SeN and the Interpreter? Seems like BYU should protect them. Is this internecine warfare being allowed under the direction of Elder Holland?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
GiordanoBruno
Nursery

Post by GiordanoBruno »

I've never met D. Morgan Davis, but if he had something to do with dislodging the old FARMS leadership he must be a very fine man.

In fact, since I've learned that he was managing editor in the translation of the medical works of Moses Maimonides, I'm doubly certain that he is a very fine man. Maimonides, On Hemorrhoids, edited and translated by Gerrit Bos, with medieval Latin translations edited by Michael R. McVaugh (Provo, UT: Brigham Young University Press, 2012) is itself a vital contribution to an already abundant literature surrounding the varieties -- and heartbreak -- of anorectal discomfort and just one more reason to encourage our young scholars in their pursuit of the Classics.