DR. SHADES GOES TO THE MOVIES--or, My review of "Witnesses"

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

DR. SHADES GOES TO THE MOVIES--or, My review of "Witnesses"

Post by Dr. Shades »

Dear participants:

It was my privilege to attend a showing of Witnesses last night. Similar to others' experience, my girlfriend and I were the only two people in the entire theater. (In FAIRness, though, it was 9:45 p.m. on a weeknight, so there's that.) Beforehand, I tried hard to decide whether to clear my mind and approach this film as though I knew nothing about Mormonism, or whether I should approach it from my actual perspective, that of a disbeliever in Mormonism who was familiar with all its controversies and was ready and able to spot any potential glossovers. In the end, though, I decided to set any preconceptions aside and just watch / enjoy the show on its own merits, ignoring any previous reviews to the extent that I was able.

WARNING: MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD!

My general impression:

Do you all remember the short film Legacy that screened in the Joseph Smith Memorial Building next to Temple Square for several years? If so, then the general feel of the movie was quite similar to that. So, yeah, it was like one of those church-sponsored and produced films, but slightly better 'cause it at least touched on a number of the more difficult aspects of church history. For one quick example, all officially-produced and commissioned films show Joseph Smith as a perfect and Christ-like figure, whereas Witnesses took a risk and hinted at his legendary temper in a few places.

Overarching plot:

A reporter shows up to the business of the elder David Whitmer, asking for an interview about what he saw. After a bit of curmudgeonly recalcitrance--an approach I was very surprised that the filmmakers took, 'cause I had always pictured the witnesses as being ever-willing and eager to share their testimonies--David finally comes around at the last possible moment and agrees to be interviewed. The two talk all through the night and into the morning, with David's narration thereby becoming the narration of the film. It covers the time period from Joseph recovering the plates to near the end of the Far West, Missouri era--when the Witnesses were expelled from the church--plus a little time on their fortunes in later years.

The good parts, from least to greatest:
  • As others have mentioned, the cinematography was very good, so there's no need to dwell on that. The 1800s feel and ambience was remarkably well-captured. (I wasn't around in the 1800s, though, so I have no way of knowing for sure whether I'm right.) The music was also exceptionally good for an independent film.
  • DCP and his wife were billed in the opening credits as the executive producers. I wasn't quite sure of his specific role, so this answers that question. Either way, although I know nothing about the movie industry, I am quite awed that he can maintain a job as a college professor AND be the executive producer of a movie at the same time. Perhaps being an executive producer only means raising the money and subcontracting the actual movie-making to a third party, but still, considering how involved *I* would want to be in a project so dear to my heart, it rather boggles my mind that he was able to do both.
  • Throughout the movie I was VERY shocked that it was made with a budget of only one million dollars. This was no slipshod college production; it was INCREDIBLY well-made for such a low budget film. Watching it, you'd think ten times the money was spent to make it.
  • There were two times when I found myself "floating" to my TBM days. Once was when we hear Sidney Rigdon preaching for the first time, the second was at the very end of the film when we hear David Whitmer's final testimony and see an excerpt from the reporter's eventual story on the screen regarding his (Whitmer's) clear integrity. FULL DISCLOSURE: Honesty compels me to admit that I became a bit misty-eyed both times, especially at the end. If I wasn't afraid of losing my ex-Mormon credibility to my girlfriend, I just might have shed actual tears.
The parts that needed improvement, from least to greatest:
  • Joseph Smith's hairstyle was completely ahistorical throughout the film. The real guy sported a pompadour, not the 80s cut that this Joseph had.
  • The ultimate fate of the plates was never mentioned. I'm pretty sure non-Mormons will pick up on that and wonder what happened to them.
  • The background music was needlessly intense / loud in places. Sometimes less is more.
  • As others have stated, the story seemed to jump around quite a bit. I'm familiar with church history, so I could sort of keep up with the geographical locations--and, in FAIRness, when the time and location changed there was a subtitle listing the year, the city, and the state--but I'm a visual learner so it might've been nice to have an Indiana Jones-style graphic showing the locations on a map and thus the movie's westward progress from one place to the next. Plus, the locations looked quite similar from one to the other, and much of the action took place indoors, so in FAIRness to DCP it might've been unreasonably difficult to alleviate this issue.
  • The dialogue was a bit too stilted for my taste, as though the scriptwriter was trying just a bit too hard. For example, the line was something like "Of course, Joseph, of course" instead of the more believable "Yeah, sure." Or "No, I will not" instead of the more natural "No I won't." See what I mean? It was like this throughout the whole film. Maybe they were trying to create what they thought was a 19th Century vibe, but regardless, the language was a little too close to General Conference-ese for my taste. I strongly believe that it would've been much more believable--and enjoyable?--if the dialogue was more colloquial.
  • Although the end credits contained a disclaimer that some events had been dramatized for, uh, dramatic effect, there were two scenes that were completely made-up (to my knowledge) and therefore somewhat off-putting to me. The first was the opening scene, split in half and revisited at the end of the movie, wherein David Whitmer is dragged out of his home by a mob and made to kneel on platform along with two others, then threatened that he'll be shot unless he denies his testimony. I don't recall reading about this ever happening. The second scene involved a courtroom trial in which Lucy Harris brings a lawsuit against Joseph Smith for fraud. I don't remember that ever happening, either. To make matters less believable, Joseph was being tried in absentia and wasn't even in the courtroom! CORRECTION: I was wrong; these two scenes were based on written--if little-known--accounts after all. See this post by Tom to read them.
  • Although all the difficult / embarrassing pre-Nauvoo occurrences were touched upon, most of them were done with the ABSOLUTE minimum-ness necessary for the producers to truthfully say, "You see? We covered everything!" Unfortunately for the viewer, the solutions to these issues were quite often less-than-truthful. For example, the rock in the hat was shown, but Joseph's face was NOT "buried" in the hat to exclude the light, as all of us clearly know from the written accounts. He simply looked into the hat from a short distance. In my opinion, it's better to simply not show something at all than show something that isn't true. Non-Mormons will probably ask, "What's the point of the hat? Why not just put it on the table in front of him?" Another example that jumped out at me was the reasoning behind the Kirtland Bank failure: Not enough people deposited their money into it to provide collateral for all the bank notes that it had printed. Therefore, in the movie, the members were blamed for withholding their funds. Clearly, however, a bank can easily avoid such a failure by never printing more notes than it has funds deposited. . . a fact that I imagine all non-Mormons will quickly pick up on, especially if a prophet is at the bank's head. (Another reason given for the failure was that Warren Parrish had embezzled $80,000 worth of bank notes, but wasn't an overabundance of bank notes being in circulation the whole problem to begin with?) A third example was when a disgruntled investor reminded Joseph that the bank was prophesied to succeed, but Joseph counter-reminds him that it would only do so if run on principles of righteousness. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember any such disclaimer being in the Doctrine & Covenants. Not only that, but a non-Mormon might ask, "What specific 'principle of righteousness' would've prevented the bank's failure?"
  • There was way too much "telling" and not enough "showing." For example, David Whitmer narrated on a couple of occasions that converts showed up by the wagonload (or something like that). Rather than just believe him, it would've been far better to show shots of outdoor sacrament meetings becoming more and more populous or, at minimum, actual lines of wagons arriving. Also, Oliver Cowdery confronts Joseph about Fanny Alger, but Fanny is never shown. It would've been far better to show Joseph and Fanny gazing lovingly at each other over a picnic lunch or something, and Oliver catching sight of this, prior to said confrontation. Third, Joseph, the witnesses, and a couple of others are shown having an intense, or perhaps "heated," discussion over what to do about Hyrum Page and his revelations through his own seer stone. But alas, Hyrum Page, like Fanny Alger, is never shown. It would've been far better to have seen Mr. Page doing his thing prior to the others' conversation about it.
  • Lastly, David Whitmer's narration, and the questions from the aforementioned reporter, contain MANY references to "the angel," "seeing the angel," "saw the angel," etc. Therefore, somewhat akin to the above regarding telling but not showing, near the end of the film I was internally screaming, "SHOW ME THE ANGEL, DAMN IT!!" (Folks, I can't possibly over-emphasize that last sentence. Imagine never finding out what happened to the T-1000 at the end of Terminator II.) The audience had already seen the plates from when Joseph retrieved them to the translation process, but alas, the angel is never seen. Bright light illuminates our witnesses for brief moments, implying his appearance, and at the end a bright, nebulous light source is seen at the bottom of the screen in an aerial shot, but, like I said, the angel is never seen, nor is his voice heard, nor do we hear the voice of God. For a film titled "Witnesses," it seems like a very, very odd detail of their lives to omit. Like, wasn't that the entire point? And wouldn't their experience be far more convincing, or at least moving, to the audience members, both believer and disbeliever?
Perhaps those details will be rectified when the Special Edition comes out. In the meantime, although I felt obligated to be thorough, I nevertheless feel compelled to mention that all of these bullet points are my opinion only and I therefore invite everyone to see the show for themselves. Regarding our TBM friends who posted 5-star reviews on "Rotten Tomatoes," perhaps they're so enthusiastic about the show because merely touching on controversies is equivalent, in their minds, to thoroughly examining them and they are thus not quite as aware of the extent of those difficulties as we are. Regarding our disbelieving friends who only give it a half star, perhaps they are dissatisfied that the film fails to go into deep enough detail regarding the controversies of which we are all aware. Maybe they have lost track of the fact that this film is about the Three Witnesses and not necessarily about Joseph Smith, and therefore the producers were only obligated to show the events that caused their disaffection.

FINAL THOUGHTS: Witnesses is nowhere near as bad as the critics say, but alas, nowhere near as good as the believers say, for all of the reasons I list above. As with most things, the truth lies somewhere in the middle. This movie "is what it is," as they say, and it's MUCH better than anything the church itself would've produced on the same subject (I'll let you judge for yourself whether or not that's a compliment). Putting myself in its creators' shoes, Witnesses accomplishes exactly what they set out for it to accomplish. And as an ultimately well-crafted faith-promoting film, I'm very surprised--nay, flabbergasted--that word-of-mouth hasn't caused far, far more believers to fill the seats. I simply can't account for it.

2 stars.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Philo Sofee
God

Re: DR. SHADES GOES TO THE MOVIES--or, My review of "Witnesses"

Post by Philo Sofee »

Excellent review Shades! Thou almost persuadest me to see the flick!
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

> Dr. Shades’ review of Witnesses?

> DR. SHADES HAS A GIRLFRIEND!!!!!

Seriously great review. I’m afraid of watching the film myself because I’ll probably be converted by the witnesses’ testimonies.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

I’m afraid of watching the film myself because I’ll probably be converted by the witnesses’ testimonies.

- Doc
You just strengthened Daniel C. Peterson and Louis Midgley's holy testimonies. They will spread this throughout the world that it is because of their own great work of the Lord that it is causing fear and confusion amidst Mormonism's enemies, and the Great Day of the Peterson and Midgley Lord is at hand! What a great sign of the times that the Second Coming is so close now, nay even his very enemies are smitten in fear! Mormons rejoice! Praise the Midgley and Peterson Lord! For no unhallowed hand shall thwart the work. The Lord is at the helm brethren, and our work continues to refute and thwart the evil of the world... it is a great day for the faith, for lo and behold, the enemies are scattered as goats, and the sheep gather in faithful obedience, and disciple scholarship flourishes as no slam dunks are ever being allowed again against what Peterson and Midgley write and produce the Word of the Lord.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:46 pm
Seriously great review. I’m afraid of watching the film myself because I’ll probably be converted by the witnesses’ testimonies.

- Doc

You'll have to pay 10% again and no touchy touchy with the you-know-what.

:lol:
Tom
Regional Representative

Post by Tom »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:05 pm
[*]Although the end credits contained a disclaimer that some events had been dramatized for, uh, dramatic effect, there were two scenes that were completely made-up (to my knowledge) and therefore somewhat off-putting to me. The first was the opening scene, split in half and revisited at the end of the movie, wherein David Whitmer is dragged out of his home by a mob and made to kneel on platform along with two others, then threatened that he'll be shot unless he denies his testimony. I don't recall reading about this ever happening. The second scene involved a courtroom trial in which Lucy Harris brings a lawsuit against Joseph Smith for fraud. I don't remember that ever happening, either. To make matters less believable, Joseph was being tried in absentia and wasn't even in the courtroom!
The first scene is likely based on the sources cited here.

I would guess the second scene is based on an account in Lucy Mack Smith's history: https://www.josephsmithpapers.org/paper ... 44-1845/97
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Dr. Shades,

What did you make of the Joseph Smith triathlete scene? Was there an action sequence of him running and jumping and fighting off ruffians?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:29 pm
Excellent review Shades! Thou almost persuadest me to see the flick!
I vote that you go for it. Why not find out for yourself what all the fuss is--or isn't--about?
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:46 pm
Ha! :-)
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:33 am
What did you make of the Joseph Smith triathlete scene? Was there an action sequence of him running and jumping and fighting off ruffians?
Yes, that scene was in the show, but it wasn't so bad. Everybody Wang Chung wondered why the ruffians attacked him one-by-one instead of ganging up on him all at once, but I thought it was pretty clear that they didn't know where Joseph was and fanned out to have a better chance of locating him.

More to the point, the scene depicts Joseph slowing down and laboriously breathing several times under the weight of the plates. And in the scene in which he uses the plates to whack the bad guy, he doesn't swing them in their cloth covering like a pair of nunchuaku; he'd been wrestled to the ground and he lifts them up via the cloth and swings them trebuchet-style.

MISCELLANEOUS TRIVIA I'D FORGOTTEN THE FIRST TIME:
  • The "interpreters," a.k.a. the Urim & Thummim, was / were another item that was mentioned a few times but never shown. I think our Mormon friends especially would've liked to see them.
  • In the closing credits, under the "Special Thanks" heading, our very own cantankerous curmudgeon, Louis Midgley himself, got a credit! Woo-hoo!
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Analytics
Elder

Post by Analytics »

Thanks for the review, Dr. Shades.

The movie wasn't screened near me and I haven't had the chance to see it yet. From your description, I think I got a good feel for it, though.

Some thoughts:

1- Any attempt to show a physical angel Moroni would have illustrated how silly the whole premise is to modern sensibilities.

2- Wasn't there a short Church-produced movie from the late 60's or thereabout about that was also framed by a reporter going to visit the elderly David Whitmer?

3-Did the villains seem at all believable, or were they one-dimensional caricatures? From the trailer, I just can't imagine why an angry mob would get their torches and pitchforks and demand that David recant his testimony. Perhaps I can imagine Joseph's treasure-digging partners being upset because they felt part of the treasure belonged to them. Or somebody upset because they lost money in Joseph's anti-bank, or lost a wife or daughter to a polygamist cult leader. But going to all that trouble because, "I'm tired of you Mormons!" I don't think anybody would find this at all believable unless they were already indoctrinated with the Mormon persecution complex.

4- David Whitmer also testified the following: If you believe my testimony to the Book of Mormon; if you believe that God spake to us three witnesses by his own voice, then I tell you that in June, 1838, God spake to me again by his own voice from the heavens, and told me to "separate myself from among the Latter Day Saints, for as they sought to do unto me, should it be done unto them." Can there be an honest, full account of David Whitmer that doesn't detail the fact that he claimed God himself told him the Church had fallen?
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Analytics wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:10 pm
2- Wasn't there a short Church-produced movie from the late 60's or thereabout about that was also framed by a reporter going to visit the elderly David Whitmer?
I remember seeing this in either sunday school or perhaps seminary.
3-Did the villains seem at all believable, or were they one-dimensional caricatures? From the trailer, I just can't imagine why an angry mob would get their torches and pitchforks and demand that David recant his testimony. Perhaps I can imagine Joseph's treasure-digging partners being upset because they felt part of the treasure belonged to them. Or somebody upset because they lost money in Joseph's anti-bank, or lost a wife or daughter to a polygamist cult leader. But going to all that trouble because, "I'm tired of you Mormons!" I don't think anybody would find this at all believable unless they were already indoctrinated with the Mormon persecution complex.
I can see people already living in Missouri getting fed up with a branch dividian type group invading the land, claiming the entire land as branch dividian zion, and then starting to dominate politics. The same type of unrest was happening in Illinois prior to Joseph Smith getting murdered. Now, were the Missourians motivated by hate for the church because Satan somehow was inspiring them? No. Did they demand that Whitmer recant? Perhaps, but the motivation had to have been, in great part, over political control.
4- David Whitmer also testified the following: If you believe my testimony to the Book of Mormon; if you believe that God spake to us three witnesses by his own voice, then I tell you that in June, 1838, God spake to me again by his own voice from the heavens, and told me to "separate myself from among the Latter Day Saints, for as they sought to do unto me, should it be done unto them." Can there be an honest, full account of David Whitmer that doesn't detail the fact that he claimed God himself told him the Church had fallen?
No, that cannot be discussed.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.