Early Church Fathers Collected WOOOOOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_KerryAShirts
_Emeritus

Early Church Fathers Collected WOOOOOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by _KerryAShirts »

Well, if I tell ya now what I have just acquired yer gonna faint. TRULY! I have ALL the Ante-Nicene, Post Nicene Fathers, all 39 volumes(!), hard cover, MINT condition, as well as the 10 vol. set by Kittel, and Friederich, "Theological Dictionary of the New Testament,"(!!), as well as R. H. Charles "Book of Jubilees," a very old (1888) copy of the Epistle of Barnabas in Greek and English, Joseph Fitzmyer's brand new (2004), analysis of the "Genesis Apocryphon," of the Dead Sea Scrolls, and Gene L. Davenport's "The Eschatology of the Book of Jubilees," (1971), F. E. Vokes very scholarly study, "The Riddle of the Didache," (1938) and M De. Jonge's "Studies on the Testaments of the Twelve Patriarchs," (Brill, 1975), all for......................... drum roll.....................no REALLY, a Looooooooooooooong drumroll....................... all for $200 today.............WOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

And I am here to tell you all, so far, I have looked into SCORES OF NIBLEY'S references, and he is right on..........RIGHT ON........I am absolutely thrilled clear outta my lovin gourd man!

__,_._,___
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Backyard Professor, I'm very happy for you. It's always a thrill to discover a hidden treasure and get it for cheap.

However, as a man who received his undergraduate degree in English, I need to let you in on a bit of wisdom:

A frequent writer is only allowed about 500 exclamation points per month. An infrequent writer's ration is much, much less. You've used up about half your ration in only two or three posts. . . you might want to think about spreading them out a little. :-)
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_KerryAShirts
_Emeritus

Post by _KerryAShirts »

Uh-oh...... I'm going to have to curtail my excitement for a month eh? GRIN!
_harmony
_Emeritus

Re: Early Church Fathers Collected WOOOOOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Post by _harmony »

Backyard Professor wrote:Well, if I tell ya now what I have just acquired yer gonna faint. TRULY! I have ALL the Ante-Nicene, Post Nicene Fathers, all 39 volumes(!), hard cover, MINT condition, as well as the 10 vol. set by Kittel, and Friederich, "Theological Dictionary of the New Testament,"(!!), as well as R. H. Charles "Book of Jubilees," a very old (1888) copy of the Epistle of Barnabas in Greek and English, Joseph Fitzmyer's brand new (2004), analysis of the "Genesis Apocryphon," of the Dead Sea Scrolls, and Gene L. Davenport's "The Eschatology of the Book of Jubilees," (1971), F. E. Vokes very scholarly study, "The Riddle of the Didache," (1938) and M De. Jonge's "Studies on the Testaments of the Twelve Patriarchs," (Brill, 1975), all for......................... drum roll.....................no REALLY, a Looooooooooooooong drumroll....................... all for $200 today.............WOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

And I am here to tell you all, so far, I have looked into SCORES OF NIBLEY'S references, and he is right on..........RIGHT ON........I am absolutely thrilled clear outta my lovin gourd man!

__,_._,___

Let's see... besides buy books, what could I have done with $200 today?

1. Bought another month of life for my husband.
2. Bought a canvas portable garage (with some change leftover).
3. Paid the registration fees for 2 relay teams.
4. Bought an above ground inflatable pool that was 12 feet across and 4 feet deep.
5. Had all the strings in my piano restrung.
6. Had my carpets cleaned.
7. Bought a new patio set (for when I get a patio)
8. Bought a Kitchenaid mixer for my daughter
9. Bought a really cool battery operated mini-Hummer for my grandkids
10. Bought a decent wool coat

To each his/her own. :-)
_KerryAShirts
_Emeritus

Post by _KerryAShirts »

Yep, I'm thrilled I spent my money wisely.......
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

(MOD NOTE) I moved this thread and the other book acquisition thread to the Off Topic forum. Neither thread seemed to have a direct link to Mormonism.
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

I am so envious! that's awesome. I want that pre-Nicene Fathers set. Congratulations!!
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_Fortigurn
_Emeritus

Post by _Fortigurn »

The ECFs are available online, free. You can also download them (free), complete with a search engine. But the best value for money is this (in the Silver edition).
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

I just checked out that silver edition you recommended, I so want that! Thanks for recommending it.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_bcspace
_Emeritus

Post by _bcspace »

Well, if I tell ya now what I have just acquired yer gonna faint. TRULY! I have ALL the Ante-Nicene, Post Nicene Fathers, all 39 volumes(!), hard cover, MINT condition, as well as the 10 vol. set by Kittel, and Friederich, "Theological Dictionary of the New Testament,"(!!), as well as R. H. Charles "Book of Jubilees," a very old (1888) copy of the Epistle of Barnabas in Greek and English, Joseph Fitzmyer's brand new (2004), analysis of the "Genesis Apocryphon," of the Dead Sea Scrolls, and Gene L. Davenport's "The Eschatology of the Book of Jubilees," (1971), F. E. Vokes very scholarly study, "The Riddle of the Didache," (1938) and M De. Jonge's "Studies on the Testaments of the Twelve Patriarchs," (Brill, 1975), all for......................... drum roll.....................no REALLY, a Looooooooooooooong drumroll....................... all for $200 today.............WOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

That's really cool. I'm happy for you. But in the meantime, those of us who are cheap or poor (but may still like a set in our bookcase sometime in the future) can go to websites such as this one....

http://www.ccel.org/fathers2/

....and look at and/or download them for free.

Indeed Nibley was always spot on. So was Bickmore and many others. The fact of the matter is, the farther you go back in history with the ECF, the more LDS the Church looks in terms of doctrine which is exactly what you'd expect from a Church that claims to be a restored one.