Go Ahead Millenials, Destroy Us

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Go Ahead Millenials, Destroy Us

Post by _Res Ipsa »

I thought this was an interesting piece. https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/03/02/o ... e=Homepage

It’s a perspective by an aging gen x-er on the coming generation, as represented by the Parkland students. This aging Boomer is inclined to agree.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Re: Go Ahead Millenials, Destroy Us

Post by _Some Schmo »

I enjoyed that. Thanks.

Although I have to admit that at the end of it, my initial reaction was, Give them time. They'll turn cynical like us eventually.

But who knows? They are growing up in vastly different cultural conditions. I have little doubt big changes are just around the corner, and a lot of it will be driven by dissatisfaction from our youth. I can only hope most of those changes are positive.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_MsJack
_Emeritus

Post by _MsJack »

Okay, but the Parkland students aren't Millennials. Millennials were born c. 1981-1996 and are in their 20s and 30s. These kids are Generation Z / iGeneration / Digital Natives.

Other than that, pretty good article.

I thought this was an interesting article about Baby Boomers:

https://www.vox.com/2017/12/20/16772670 ... gress-debt

The author is too hard on boomers, and includes some people as boomers who are definitely not (Marco Rubio??), but it's food for thought.

Also, this animated article on the problems Millennials face:

http://highline.huffingtonpost.com/arti ... llennials/

(Though that article claims Millennials are 1982-2004. No way would I cast the Millennial net that wide.)
"It seems to me that these women were the head (κεφάλαιον) of the church which was at Philippi." ~ John Chrysostom, Homilies on Philippians 13

My Blogs: Weighted Glory | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable | Twitter
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

MsJack wrote:(Though that article claims Millennials are 1982-2004. No way would I cast the Millennial net that wide.)

Like Baby Boomers "millennial" has a range of definition among people who use these terms for more rigorous purposes. I exist right at the border between Gen-X and Millennial and once saw a compelling argument that this is its own sub-generation because of some unique experiences. It's sometimes called the "Oregon Trail generation." Specifically people right around our age are old enough to have grew up without the effects of advanced computing, specifically the Internet, but young enough to have had access to it before adult age. At the same time, we just became voting adults right around the time that the election of Bush, 9/11, and Fox News significantly altered the landscape of US politics and how it works.

Likewise, I think there probably is going to be a natural break between kids who grew up old enough to live in a world without social media, but young enough to have it before adulthood and those who grew up as native users of it. It's a pretty big societal change and that change also is right smack dab at being around voting age at the time of Donald Trump's election.
_Imwashingmypirate
_Emeritus

Post by _Imwashingmypirate »

Born in 88. Soooo not a millennial.
_MeDotOrg
_Emeritus

Post by _MeDotOrg »

From my totally unbiased perspective: There are baby boomers, and then everyone else ;-)
"The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization."
- Will Durant
"We've kept more promises than we've even made"
- Donald Trump
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

There needs to be some standardized classification system if each generation is to be given a name and place on the common timeline.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_cinepro
_Emeritus

Post by _cinepro »

Res Ipsa wrote:I thought this was an interesting piece. https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/03/02/o ... e=Homepage

It’s a perspective by an aging gen x-er on the coming generation, as represented by the Parkland students. This aging Boomer is inclined to agree.

Can someone explain this argument to me? The next time I buy dog food, am I somehow contributing to the murder of 7 year olds?

We spend $60 billion a year on pets but won’t go to any inconvenience to keep second graders from getting slaughtered.

This is a good article that explores why people haven't been motivated in the past to enact change based on school shootings, and why Parkland may be different:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/White House ... s-on-guns/
_Constance
_Emeritus

Post by _Constance »

While you're wearing out by seating in chats, Z's earn bitcoins and buy villas on French riviera :lol:
Last edited by Guest on Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Constance wrote:While you're wearing out by seating in chats, Z's earn bitcoins and buy villas on French riviera :lol:

Thought they were playing console video games or posting on Facebook.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace