Problems with the board

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Re: Problems with the board

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Icarus wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:20 pm
Temp. Admin. wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:17 am
Making public that which is posted via the chat room (r.i.p.) or private message is what's against the rules. It's okay to post information that you got via e-mail--like from Daniel C. Peterson--since that's off-board.

. . . just as long as it isn't personal information like a social security number or an address, of course. So Icarus did nothing wrong.
Well damn. I just got a tongue lashing from Jersey Girl for nothing?
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker. (-;
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Temp. Admin. wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:17 am
Making public that which is posted via the chat room (r.i.p.) or private message is what's against the rules. It's okay to post information that you got via e-mail--like from Daniel C. Peterson--since that's off-board.

. . . just as long as it isn't personal information like a social security number or an address, of course. So Icarus did nothing wrong.

AND TO CLARIFY:

Keene Maverick and "Mav" are two different people. The latter is the nickname of the board's legal owner; the former is the guy whom the latter entrusted with solving the board's technical issues whenever they arose. Unfortunately, due to various reasons, Keene hasn't been able to fulfill that role for quite some time, and although he's not dead--I talked to him on the phone a number of months ago--he's still unable. Therefore, for board purposes, Keene no longer plays any part.

It's entirely up to Mav to relinquish the domain name and allow us to replicate everything in the database on a new server. The reason I haven't bothered to detail any of the e-mail-based discussions regarding salvaging/saving the board is because A) nothing is set-in-stone yet, B) I don't want to get anyone's hopes up, and C) I don't know how much the others wish to disclose regarding either their identities or their involvement.
Thanks, Shades. I hope someone is able to approach Mav about the offer on the table soon, so that the process can move forward to the next step. I would really like to see a resolution, as I am sure you and many other people here do.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Temp. Admin.
_Emeritus

Post by _Temp. Admin. »

Oh, believe you me, he's definitely been approached. Multiple times, even.
_Icarus
_Emeritus

Post by _Icarus »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:31 pm
Icarus wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:20 pm

Well damn. I just got a tongue lashing from Jersey Girl for nothing?
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker. (-;
:lol:

Das ist, was sie sagten
"One of the hardest things for me to accept is the fact that Kevin Graham has blonde hair, blue eyes and an English last name. This ugly truth blows any arguments one might have for actual white supremacism out of the water. He's truly a disgrace." - Ajax
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Temp. Admin. wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:16 pm
Oh, believe you me, he's definitely been approached. Multiple times, even.
Are you saying that someone has been personally to visit Mav to talk to him about the offer since it was first made. If so, what was his response?
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Icarus wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:19 pm

:lol:

Das ist, was sie sagten
:lol: :lol: :lol:
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Icarus you obviously suffer from selective memory and you are by no means off the hook here. Not even close, buddy. Oh and by the way, in addition to my Celtic roots, I am German. My father taught me German phrases in childhood, I took four years of German in high school (Hochdeutsch), learned to speak the local dialect with the locals where I lived in Germany, and while my conversational skills have eroded over time due mainly to non use, I can still understand most of what I read or hear in German so long as it doesn't pass by me too fast when I hear it.

It's just a good thing for you guys that I have to go load wood with JB. For much like the Sword of Gryffindor, I only take in that which makes me stronger. I expect I'll be back before long.

;-)
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Temp. Admin.
_Emeritus

Post by _Temp. Admin. »

Icarus wrote:Well damn. I just got a tongue lashing from Jersey Girl for nothing?
Yes, I'm afraid so. :-(
Kishkumen wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:00 pm
Are you saying that someone has been personally to visit Mav to talk to him about the offer since it was first made. If so, what was his response?
No. I talked to him on the phone once, text messaged him twice or so, and e-mailed him a number of times.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Shades,

You’re not actually going to fix this, are you? Why don’t you pm some of the more, ahm, together posters who expressed interest in saving the board and its content, get a Zoom mtg together, make a plan, assign roles, and see if this can get done? Off the top of my dome you have two very capable academics, a lawyer, and a Jersey girl who could give it the ol’ college try.

I also recommend not involving one particularly aggressive poster who really can’t be trusted with something like confidentiality.

- Doc
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Cam thanks for thinking of me, but I know virtually nothing about tech or how to set up a non-profit for this purpose even though I did administer one for a good long stretch and know about rules governing the finance side. Ask me to set up an educational non-profit. I can do that standing on my head! I suppose I could put in my 2 cents on non-profit though I wouldn't know if there were a better alternative for our purposes. If it's anything like the non-profit I was responsible for, it requires a board of directors, a kind of mission statement, by-laws, written policies, and etc. I bet Kish knows just how he conceives of how it would be structured and implemented.

I only know that there has got to be a crew of tech's going forward that Shades would trust with the gears. People who could move in and out, doing what needs to be done and always keeping an eye out for future suitable candidates.

I believe I'm aware of the confidentiality issue you mentioned as I raised the issue on this very thread. That's another reason that I wouldn't want to be involved beyond the public board and would rather just shoot out ideas here or ask questions as this is all being thought out in full public view.

I'd be happy to suggest posters to Shades via PM if he wants or needs that or maybe help with trouble shooting ideas for the structure? There are better heads than mine here. I can only say that the last thing he needs is a hot head getting into the clinches here and well, doing what I've already seen and have seen repeatedly over the years. It's not like I can't get a bit aggressive here myself but, you know, I function from a principle of wild horses regardless of what comes at me here or who it is from.

I mean sh-it! If that weren't the case you'd see stuff plastered all over this board! :lol:
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb