Trump and the Revenge of John Fogerty

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
K Graham
God

Re: Trump and the Revenge of John Fogerty

Post by K Graham »

ajax18 wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:20 pm
He probably got off to all those Vietnam movies or shows that’d use Fogerty’s Fortunate Son song, but never actually paid attention to the lyrics. You know. Superficial understanding of his own world and all that.

- Doc
You're right. I ignored the lyrics because I liked Fogerty's southern accent. I also like the song Paint it Black, by the Rolling Stones. It was the intro to tour of duty, which was about the Vietnam war. But yeah, none of those guys will be getting a dime from me in sales. I've removed Fogerty from my spotify.
Cancel culture at its finest
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal" - Ajax18
Father Francis
Bishop

Post by Father Francis »

ajax18 wrote:

You're right. I ignored the lyrics because I liked Fogerty's southern accent. I also like the song Paint it Black, by the Rolling Stones. It was the intro to tour of duty, which was about the Vietnam war. But yeah, none of those guys will be getting a dime from me in sales. I've removed Fogerty from my spotify.
Fortunate Son is pretty straightforward in its message. Did you not realize it was inspired by him knowing a rich kid that got out of the draft due to "bone spurs"? How did you miss that over the decades?

If you're going to remove music from your playlist based on politics you might as well get rid of it all. Unless you really like Ted Nugent. Also, Paint it Black is about depression, not war. Read the lyrics. As I stated above, most artists are liberal. There's a reason for that.

That being said, one of my favorite bands has a frontman with right leaning libertarian ideals. I'm pretty far to the left, but I still enjoy the music.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Ajax wrote: I've removed Fogerty from my spotify
Not so fast, Ajax. Are you saying you're removing Fogerty merely because MeDotOrg associated him with Trump's taxes?
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Father Francis wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:11 pm
ajax18 wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:24 am
I used to like Credence Clearwater Revival up until about 3 seconds ago when I read this post.

Sounds like a personal problem to me. You never paid attention to the lyrics before you read this post? John Fogerty is a liberal, always has been. Most artists are. Can't think of too many great rock artists that are hard right. There's a reason for that
With all due respect Father, Trump didn't pay attention to the lyrics before he started using the song at his rallies either and made a total ass of himself.
Last edited by Jersey Girl on Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

ajax18 wrote:

Ajax, you are aware that the song is not actually about Trump? It was written and recorded long before Trump became a political figure.

Perhaps for some reason you see it as describing Trump even if it was not written about him.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Moderately off-topic (sort of), but this thread reminded me of the woman with a "thin blue line" flag dancing to Rage's Killing in the Name.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

huckelberry wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:33 pm
ajax18 wrote:

Ajax, you are aware that the song is not actually about Trump? It was written and recorded long before Trump became a political figure.

Perhaps for some reason you see it as describing Trump even if it was not written about him.
Fogerty is a liberal. Listening to his music would feel like wearing a pair of Nike LeBron sneakers made by Uyghur slave labor in China.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

ajax18 wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:51 am
huckelberry wrote:

Fogerty is a liberal. Listening to his music would feel like wearing a pair of Nike LeBron sneakers made by Uyghur slave labor in China.
Aren’t you the guy who suggested your ethnostate would raise an army to conquer foreign lands to plunder their resources, presumably depopulate their regions, and then settle them with your ilk?

You’re perhaps one of the most irrational human beings I’ve ever seen operate, and that’s actually amazing considering just how many retards blathering on about their trials I had to endure during testimony Sundays.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Father Francis
Bishop

Post by Father Francis »

ajax18 wrote:
I ignored the lyrics because I liked Fogerty's southern accent.
John Fogerty is from California...
Father Francis
Bishop

Post by Father Francis »

ajax18 wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:51 am
huckelberry wrote:

Says the man with a slave owner as his avatar...