Herschel Walker Debunks Evolution

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Herschel Walker Debunks Evolution

Post by Res Ipsa »

honorentheos wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:45 pm
To add to this, how does one make a rule that effectively encourages discussion while not also prohibiting the sharing of news where the board does benefit from someone bringing something to our collective attention? The behavior has nuance to it, and in many ways I think Res keyed in on why (how it reads to the target as largely ridicule of the party behind the topic more than the topic itself being presented in a way the engages whether or not the OP intends it that way explicitly or it just reflects their thinking on the subject). Maybe the moderators can codify that. I don't know. It seems to me that trying to legislate is very hard precisely for the same reasons writing robot code is difficult. There are so many things that have to be written into the code that get taken for granted when a person acts in order to translate it successfully into commands. A.I. helps precisely because it helps establish parameters through mechanisms other than direct command. Something to think about, I suppose.
Exactly right, and I don’t think it’s amenable to codification. It requires inferred intent, which is tricky and difficult to get right.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

K Graham wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:52 am
Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:49 am

I certainly didn’t read it as an invitation to debate. I read it as “Look how dumb Republicans are.” Which is indistinguishable from “Look how stupid progressives are.” It looks intended to provoke an emotional response rather than start an actual conversation. Put another way, were I a conservative, I’d absolutely consider this trolling.

As one of the three people with the authority to address the trolling situation, I’m going to need to treat trolling in a consistent manner going forward. It’s a little difficult for me to think of a fair, principled definition of trolling that wouldn’t apply to your OP.

Just something to think about.
Dunno, I've posted things like this for years and have never been accused of trolling. I explained why its not trolling, but you can take it or leave it I guess.
😂🤣😂🤣 And there it is. Kevin said “”Dunno, i’ve posted things like this for years and have never been accused of trolling.”” Now we’re getting somewhere, Res. This is what I’m talking about. This is why I do what I do and it’s the only reason I do what I do. Make it fair and I become sugar and spice and everything nice Mike. Res, thank you for at least asking the question to Kevin.
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

K Graham wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:54 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:01 am
We’ve never had a rule against trolling per se. I understand and appreciate the distinctions you pointed out, but I don’t think they get to the essence of trolling, which is posting to provoke a strong emotional response in others. I appreciate your feedback, as it helps me think about how best to go forward.
I can see why you'd think that, but in all honesty this wasn't an attempt to provoke Mike. As he so often reminds us, this forum is made up of mostly Left leaning individuals, and I figured he'd moved on after recent moderation changes. Perhaps the only person here who would take issue with what I said is Mike, but I've made many such posts over the years that brought in commentary from folks who agree with my sentiments.

But as I was telling Tarski* last night, I really do miss the evolution debates. But its hard to have a debate on evolution if no one is willing to engage. In terms of "why are apes still around?" that was a question I asked many years ago when I was a Republican trying to be witty. I really didn't understand evolution at all, and learned so much from it by watching scientists like The Dude and Tarski expound on the subject.
Bull crap. This was definitely an attempt to troll. Kevin, I think it would great if you and I could get along together. And tell ya the truth I don’t think it would take that much to make it happen. So I’ll say this one more time. If you want to PM me and talk privately I’ll be happy to do so. If you want to wait to see if the moderators figure out a way to ban me that’s fine by me. Heck. If you PM me I’ll give you my phone number and you can call me. If you don’t want me to have your number just block it. Whatever you choose is fine with me.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Res Ipsa wrote:
We’ve never had a rule against trolling per se. I understand and appreciate the distinctions you pointed out, but I don’t think they get to the essence of trolling, which is posting to provoke a strong emotional response in others. I appreciate your feedback, as it helps me think about how best to go forward.
You’ve settled on a definition of trolling as “posting to provoke a strong emotional response in others”?
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Marcus wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:21 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
You’ve settled on a definition of trolling as “posting to provoke a strong emotional response in others”?
No. I was simply contrasting relevant and irrelevant distinctions between the two examples.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:58 pm
Marcus wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:21 pm

No. I was simply contrasting relevant and irrelevant distinctions between the two examples.
Oh I see, thanks.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

I don't debate evolution with people any more. Just like with Climate Change, I talk about it assuming everyone accepts the science. The fact that we all have a common ancestor is obvious.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
K Graham
God

Post by K Graham »

Some Schmo wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:42 pm
I don't debate evolution with people any more. Just like with Climate Change, I talk about it assuming everyone accepts the science. The fact that we all have a common ancestor is obvious.
At at times, very scary:
19865682-7586553-image-a-50_1571361302430.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal" - Ajax18
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

K Graham wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:51 pm
At at times, very scary:
Heh... yeah, what's funny is that I completely embrace my blood relationship with animals but feel embarrassment about my closer relationship with other humans.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.