Election Litigation Status

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: Election Litigation Scorecard

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:42 pm
Cam, it's inside baseball, but the question that includes "suspensions" is asking about categories of disciplinary sanctions. An administrative suspension is not a disciplinary sanction. If I were to decide to retire today from the practice of law and forget to tell the bar that, they would list me as an administratively suspended member of the bar, as opposed to canceling my bar membership, for some period of time. Rudy is a New York lawyer. This is the DC bar. It's really a nothing burger.
So, lay person question here, can he practice law in DC having lapsed on his membership?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:44 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:42 pm
Cam, it's inside baseball, but the question that includes "suspensions" is asking about categories of disciplinary sanctions. An administrative suspension is not a disciplinary sanction. If I were to decide to retire today from the practice of law and forget to tell the bar that, they would list me as an administratively suspended member of the bar, as opposed to canceling my bar membership, for some period of time. Rudy is a New York lawyer. This is the DC bar. It's really a nothing burger.
So, lay person question here, can he practice law in DC having lapsed on his membership?

- Doc
As far a court appearances, he could request to appear pro hac vice, which is what he did in PA. That allows a lawyer who is not admitted in a state to litigate a case when sponsored (and supervised) by a lawyer or firm that is not admitted to the bar. As far as a general law practice in DC, no.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:36 pm
There is already a do over in Clark County. The race between Anthony Sravos and Ross Miller ended with Miller having a 10 vote margin of victory and a special election has been set. Ross Miller promptly filed suit: https://ewscripps.brightspotcdn.com/33/ ... plaint.pdf
Yeah, I left it out because it doesn't impact the presidential race. The other two suits want a complete redo of the entire election in Clark County -- all races. I don't think a special election has been set. The elections board certified the result in all races except this one, and then decided to hold a do over. I have no idea whether the Board has the power to do this under the arcana of Nevada election law.
he/him

Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

In the Trump Campaign's lawsuit in PA to throw out about 2500 votes in Bucks County, the parties entered into a stipulation of facts today. The stipulations include:
27. Petitioners do not allege, and there is no evidence of, any fraud in connection with
the challenged ballots.

28. Petitioners do not allege, and there is no evidence of, any misconduct in connection with the challenged ballots.

29. Petitioners do not allege, and there is no evidence of, any impropriety in connection with the challenged ballots

30. Petitioners do not allege, and there is no evidence of, any undue influence committed with respect to the challenged ballots.

31. Petitioners do not allege, and there is no evidence, that Defendant counted ballots without signatures on the outer envelope.

32. Petitioners do not allege, and there is no evidence, that Defendant counted “naked ballots” (ballots that did not arrive in a secrecy envelope).

33. Petitioners do not challenge the eligibility of the electors who cast the ballots at issue, and there is no evidence that any of the electors was ineligible to vote in the election.

34. Petitioners do not allege, and there is no evidence, that any of the challenged ballots were cast by, or on behalf of, a deceased person.

35. Petitioners do not allege, and there is no evidence, that any of the challenged ballots were cast by someone other than the electors whose signature is on the outer envelope.
No fraud. Zippo. The objections are all based on technical objections, mostly having to do with the envelopes.

Petitioners challenge ballots accepted by the Board in the following categories. In the issue identified is the only alleged irregularity.

Category 1: 1,196 ballots with no date or a partial date handwritten on the outer envelope;

Category 2: 644 ballots with no handwritten name or address on the outer envelope;

Category 3: 86 ballots with a partial written address on the outer envelope;

Category 4: 246 ballots with a mismatched address on the outer envelope;

Category 5: 69 ballots with “unsealed” privacy envelopes;

Category 6: 7 ballots with markings on the privacy envelope that did not identify the identity of the elector, the elector’s political affiliation, or the elector’s candidate preference.
Trump and Pence filed for a recount in two counties in Wisconsin, alleging Shenanigans. https://www.democracydocket.com/wp-cont ... t_2020.pdf
he/him

Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:32 pm
No fraud. Zippo.
He knows it. He's running a con in real time and in full public view for the express purpose of racking up enough donations to pay his bills and ultimately fund his legal defense.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:42 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
No fraud. Zippo.
He knows it. He's running a con in real time and in full public view for the express purpose of racking up enough donations to pay his bills and ultimately fund his legal defense.
Yep
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:42 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
No fraud. Zippo.
Don't forget the mistrust in democracy he's trying to spread. He still has a debt to Putin.

He is plainly a traitor to the Constitution, and his idiot base is cheering him on. This isn't ideological; I'm disgusted by the belligerent stupidity.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Thursday litigation roundup.

After Wayne County, MI certified its election Results, the Trump campaign dismissed its only remaining federal lawsuit in MI. That suit has sought to prevent certification of results in that county.
he/him

Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

So, when the President said, “Michigan just refused to certify the election results.", he was lying?

Whaaaaaaat?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:03 pm
So, when the President said, “Michigan just refused to certify the election results.", he was lying?

Whaaaaaaat?

- Doc
If the state refused to certify the results, it's news to me. Wayne County initially deadlocked on its vote to certify. Then it reached a compromise. Then the two GOP members tried to renege.

In other news, I did skim the response to the Motion to Dismiss filed in the PA "kitchen sink" lawsuit. The good news is that the law firm that is doing the legal work is orders of magnitude more competent than Giuliani (although he argued the motion yesterday, I did not see his signature on the brief). However, the lawyers are taking the position that the broad fraud claims were "accidentally" dropped from the suit and that they plan to file a Second Amended Complaint. (Note, they need the judge's permission for that.)

For any masochists amongst us, you can listen to yesterday's court hearing, featuring the Amazing Rudy, here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_-Rvu8 ... b_err_woyt
he/him