That 90's Show Sucks!

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Nomomo
Priest

That 90's Show Sucks!

Post by Nomomo »

So..... I downloaded "That 90's Show" Season One using a torrent file from a pirate website (using a VPN of course). and could only make it half way through the 1st episode of Season One before exiting from the video. Dumbest damn TV show I've ever watched.

Couldn't even finish the 1st episode it was so frickin' stupid.
Is it even worth checking out the rest of the episodes of season one of "That 90's Show"? Or are they all as frickin' gawdamned stupid as episode one?
Nomomo
Priest

Re: That 90's Show Sucks!

Post by Nomomo »

Sorry to say... but. if you think that "That 90's Show" is a good TV Series then, you are a fricking gawdamned idiotic moron!
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Also watched the first episode. It was painful. Can't say if it was just a rough pilot or the series is equally as bad but I don't intend to find out.

In fairness, That 70's Show was also pretty dumb. It just kinda worked with a few very funny moments happening enough to patch over the worst of it. But by the end it was unwatchable, too.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

I loved the 70's show but I couldn't make it through two episodes of this one. I don't know. Maybe it is the actors. Or the fact that the 70's was more detached from today's internet reality and so kids mostly just tried to find things to do on their own like hanging out all day in the basement.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Vēritās wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:27 pm
I loved the 70's show but I couldn't make it through two episodes of this one. I don't know. Maybe it is the actors. Or the fact that the 70's was more detached from today's internet reality and so kids mostly just tried to find things to do on their own like hanging out all day in the basement.
I enjoyed episodes of That 70s Show, and some are in the Hall of Classics for television comedy. The episode when the adults eat the magic brownies? <Chef's Kiss> "His name was...Peter?...Peeeeterrrrrr?...Cottontail! Hoppin' down the bunny trail..." And I do think it had to do with two things. First, the actors were a big part of it. Before they fully Flanderized, they had a great chemistry. Topher Grace has legit comedic timing instincts. Tommy Chong! Debra Jo Rupp and Kurtwood Smith nailed their roles in a way that I think folks who were kids in the 70s recognized as a form of parenting on the outs in the late 90s.

And that brings up the second reason why I think it worked when it came out (until it didn't) while That 80s show failed immediately and That 90s Show is likely to fail, too. It was relatable at the time where the tropes were useable as comedic base material. The parents were low-key antagonists based on recognizable tropes, be it the Korean war vet angry dad, saccharine mom putting on a smile, the Hippie Dippie parents not parenting, and enough of a generational gap to fully exploit that no one had to have explained because everyone watching understood it. That 80s Show couldn't dial in on 80s tropes people actually related to because it focused on 80s aesthetics, and I thought everything in the first episode of That 90s Show meant to convey the 90s was pure, "Hey, fellow kids, remember riot grrrls and flannel, Doc Martins and...um, flannel? 90s!!!!"

That 70s Show had plenty of misses but it was fine overall with comedic gems scattered throughout.

To be more candid, I think the general quality of entertainment writing is down almost across the board. There are amazing shows that hit in ways older programs couldn't or didn't. But most writing is bad, in my opinion.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

honorentheos wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:50 am
Vēritās wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:27 pm
I enjoyed episodes of That 70s Show, and some are in the Hall of Classics for television comedy. The episode when the adults eat the magic brownies? <Chef's Kiss> "His name was...Peter?...Peeeeterrrrrr?...Cottontail! Hoppin' down the bunny trail..." And I do think it had to do with two things. First, the actors were a big part of it. Before they fully Flanderized, they had a great chemistry. Topher Grace has legit comedic timing instincts. Tommy Chong! Debra Jo Rupp and Kurtwood Smith nailed their roles in a way that I think folks who were kids in the 70s recognized as a form of parenting on the outs in the late 90s.

And that brings up the second reason why I think it worked when it came out (until it didn't) while That 80s show failed immediately and That 90s Show is likely to fail, too. It was relatable at the time where the tropes were useable as comedic base material. The parents were low-key antagonists based on recognizable tropes, be it the Korean war vet angry dad, saccharine mom putting on a smile, the Hippie Dippie parents not parenting, and enough of a generational gap to fully exploit that no one had to have explained because everyone watching understood it. That 80s Show couldn't dial in on 80s tropes people actually related to because it focused on 80s aesthetics, and I thought everything in the first episode of That 90s Show meant to convey the 90s was pure, "Hey, fellow kids, remember riot grrrls and flannel, Doc Martins and...um, flannel? 90s!!!!"

That 70s Show had plenty of misses but it was fine overall with comedic gems scattered throughout.

To be more candid, I think the general quality of entertainment writing is down almost across the board. There are amazing shows that hit in ways older programs couldn't or didn't. But most writing is bad, in my opinion.
Yeah I got hooked on 70's because of Ashton Kutcher's role as Kelso. Fez and Red Foreman were also great. BUt it is interesting how all of those characters turned out to have big careers, aside from Hyde (who was arrested for rape) and Fez.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Snazzip
Sunbeam

Post by Snazzip »

Vēritās wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:29 am
...all of those characters turned out to have big careers, aside from Hyde (who was arrested for rape) and Fez.
Say what? I'm gonna go out on a limb and say I really don't think he's done too bad for himself.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Snazzip wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:59 pm
Vēritās wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:29 am
...all of those characters turned out to have big careers, aside from Hyde (who was arrested for rape) and Fez.
Say what? I'm gonna go out on a limb and say I really don't think he's done too bad for himself.
I've only seem Fez in one other movie and I can't remember the name.
Snazzip
Sunbeam

Post by Snazzip »

Vēritās wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:12 pm
Snazzip wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:59 pm

I've only seem Fez in one other movie and I can't remember the name.
Well, I guess if that's all you know of, he's had absolutely no career, and only one role outside of one tv show. The grand exalted mighty all knowing Veritas has spoken! (I suppose someone should let this guy know, though.)