Sting Is Not Pleased

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Sting Is Not Pleased

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Sting having to endure listening to one of his songs being crucified:

https://youtu.be/tGi7bwu8SHM
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Father Francis
Bishop

Re: Sting Is Not Pleased

Post by Father Francis »

He deserves it for that weird pseudo Jamaican accent he used in the Police.

This must be close to how so many black artists felt hearing Pat Boone slaughter their music.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:05 am
Sting having to endure listening to one of his songs being crucified:

https://youtu.be/tGi7bwu8SHM
That was hilarious. Talk about discomfort written all over his face.

And frankly, I don't blame him. The song was murdered.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Sting was paid a very high compliment when Eva Cassidy did a cover of Fields of Gold.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Father Francis wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:19 am
He deserves it for that weird pseudo Jamaican accent he used in the Police.

This must be close to how so many black artists felt hearing Pat Boone slaughter their music.
father Francis, this could be an excuse to talk about music, just for fun.

I did not remember the Police that way so found a recording, brushed off the dust and listened. A couple songs sounded straight British punk like Clash. Then I heard what you are referring to. Well I have always though Sting sounded strained , wanted to sound that way. I do not love it but I really do not object.

It has become sort of more a style(like in the linked singing) to think it expressive to substitute squawks and yelps for notes. I prefer, if an artificial strain is required Stings version. I totally sympathize with his reaction to the rendition.

I wonder about Black artists an Pat Boone. I was a teenager through the decade of the 1960s. Hating on Pat Boone was a requirement. He was completely out of style. I had a hard time remembering what he sounded like so tried a few you tube examples. Some sounded like Sinatra. It was well polished but a bit bland even compared to Frank. I listened to "ain't that a shame" He did the song very close to the original but in a white instead of a black accent. I would expect that originally lots of white kids liked Pat , he sounded like one of them. I am sure the money that generated was a cause of irritation for black artists though some realized it was opening up a market which would in time be for black artists as well. I can think of a video of Muddy Waters giving a relatively young Rolling Stones a warm welcome at his club, and sharing the stage.

It has been observed that even going back to the early days of the country American popular music was all influenced by the music of black musicians. Country music , banjos etc , its a mix. It is only natural as music is imitation and shared. There isnt any black music in America not influenced by white music. Even considering the blues, many black people liked Jimmy Rodgers the white blues yodler.( though he had more grit than Pat Boone)

I am trying to remember a word for that grit quality. Soul is often used but is pretty general and its meaning gets carried away in different directions.