Conservatives and "believing falsehoods"

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
ajax18
God

Re: Conservatives and "believing falsehoods"

Post by ajax18 »

If you want to see what people really believe, look at where they invest their money. How much money has Gunnar invested in green energy startups? Better yet what kind of return did he get on his investment?

How many liberals declined to hit the tennis courts with me during the Chinese scamdemic, the only time in our lives we'd ever be free on a weekday afternoon? My east German former Olympian practice partner teaches epidemiology at the university and is a damned atheist communist. He can't help it. It's how he was raised. He was was out there with me every day climbing the fence to get onto the club courts. He was over 50 at the time and he wasn't scared of death by COVID nor overcrowded hospitals. Yet he undoubtedly preached this every day via zoom to his University students because that's what he was being paid to say. Death Santis's policies didn't stop Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez from spring breaking in Florida nor many other leftwing politicians. Many democrats even admitted they only wore masks when the cameras were on them.

If taxes need to be higher why don't Democrats just pay more taxes? Is there a law that says they can't? Think how much cooler the earth would be if all registered Democrats quit riding in planes and all brought electric cars. That should be enough to make the polar icecaps reform in just a few years. What does Joe Biden really think should happen to people who lie to buy firearms, buy illegal drugs, and cheat on their taxes? Oh that's right, liberals were able to discern early on that these were all lies about Hunter made up by the Russians.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

ajax18 wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:30 am
If you want to see what people really believe, look at where they invest their money. How much money has Gunnar invested in green energy startups? Better yet what kind of return did he get on his investment?

How many liberals declined to hit the tennis courts with me during the Chinese scamdemic, the only time in our lives we'd ever be free on a weekday afternoon? My east German former Olympian practice partner teaches epidemiology at the university and is a damned atheist communist. He can't help it. It's how he was raised. He was was out there with me every day climbing the fence to get onto the club courts. He was over 50 at the time and he wasn't scared of death by COVID nor overcrowded hospitals. Yet he undoubtedly preached this every day via zoom to his University students because that's what he was being paid to say. Death Santis's policies didn't stop Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez from spring breaking in Florida nor many other leftwing politicians. Many democrats even admitted they only wore masks when the cameras were on them.

If taxes need to be higher why don't Democrats just pay more taxes? Is there a law that says they can't? Think how much cooler the earth would be if all registered Democrats quit riding in planes and all brought electric cars. That should be enough to make the polar icecaps reform in just a few years. What does Joe Biden really think should happen to people who lie to buy firearms, buy illegal drugs, and cheat on their taxes? Oh that's right, liberals were able to discern early on that these were all lies about Hunter made up by the Russians.
Grievance Gish Gallop.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Alphus and Omegus
Area Authority

Post by Alphus and Omegus »

As per usual, right wingers cannot discuss this or any other topic in a substantive manner. They are intellectually stunted people, limited by superstition.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Apropos of this thread (from the article The campaign of Chris Christie's dreams):
"No matter what Chris Christie says - I apologize for my language - he has no f---ing shot to get the nomination," says Joe Walsh, a former Republican Illinois congressman who mounted a doomed primary challenge to Trump in the 2020 election cycle. "None. He may believe he has a shot, but he really doesn't."

Walsh's campaign was a protest of, as he puts it, the "stupid, Trumpy, dishonest, ugly, authoritarian, cruel thing." It didn't get much traction.

"I'll never forget it: I stood in a room of 3,000 Republicans and said, 'It's wrong that we have a president who lies,'" he recalls. "Everybody booed me."
Were they booing because he accused Trump of being a liar (which is obvious) or did they boo because they disagreed that the President shouldn't lie (in just this case because he's Republican)?

My guess is the latter. But if it's the former, that's a lot of people who are willing to swallow Trump's lies at all costs, and will get upset if you point out they desire to be mislead.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
ceeboo
God

Post by ceeboo »

Alphus and Omegus wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:35 am
As per usual, right wingers cannot discuss this or any other topic in a substantive manner. They are intellectually stunted people, limited by superstition.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

ceeboo wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:22 pm
Alphus and Omegus wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:35 am
Hey, wanna talk about the Marxist takeover of our school systems?

Sorry, couldn’t resist. : D
Alphus and Omegus
Area Authority

Post by Alphus and Omegus »

Some Schmo wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:09 pm
Apropos of this thread (from the article The campaign of Chris Christie's dreams):
"No matter what Chris Christie says - I apologize for my language - he has no f---ing shot to get the nomination," says Joe Walsh, a former Republican Illinois congressman who mounted a doomed primary challenge to Trump in the 2020 election cycle. "None. He may believe he has a shot, but he really doesn't."

Walsh's campaign was a protest of, as he puts it, the "stupid, Trumpy, dishonest, ugly, authoritarian, cruel thing." It didn't get much traction.

"I'll never forget it: I stood in a room of 3,000 Republicans and said, 'It's wrong that we have a president who lies,'" he recalls. "Everybody booed me."
Were they booing because he accused Trump of being a liar (which is obvious) or did they boo because they disagreed that the the President shouldn't lie (in just this case because he's Republican)?

My guess is the latter. But if it's the former, that's a lot of people who are willing to swallow Trump's lies at all costs, and will get upset if you point out they desire to be mislead.
It's both. To be a Republican activist nowadays requires you to willingly embrace lies and to react angrily when called out for it. As the trolls have demonstrated on this and every other thread, they are stupid and cannot come up with real proof of their ideas. So they just post irrelevant memes and block quotes.

They've embraced their ignorance and weaponized it into an identity.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Cube 7 wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:48 pm
Morley wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:02 pm
Two questions, Cube:

1) What does men becoming women have to do with the post you quoted?

2) Why does it matter if a man can become a woman and a woman can become a man? Why would you care?

I'm not trying to be snarky. I'm attempting to understand your post.
It's quite straightforward. The progressive side of the Democratic Party is responsible for the most significant fallacy that is currently being acted out right in front of our eyes, and that fallacy is the idea that a man can become a woman or a woman can become a male. This is the biggest lie that we are currently witnessing. It is not a fact, and it is being done in order for the progressive wing of the Democratic Party to control the emotions of people. By doing this, they will be able to manipulate people into thinking whatever it is that they want them to believe by using force. The democratic party is home to the greatest number of lies that are now being propagated in our modern culture. Democrats are pushing the biggest falsehoods we have had to live with in quite some time.
Nice strawman. Do you understand why?
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:16 pm
Nice strawman. Do you understand why?
Because it was a disguised plea to [Spirit Prison-caliber content deleted]?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

ajax18 wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:30 am

There is truth to your first sentence. Your two follow-up questions are absurd -- childishly absurd. Laughably silly. There is an older right-wing guy I know who watches Fox News constantly. When Biden won, he told me that Fox Business is telling their viewership to invest in clean energy because Biden is going to break the nation subsidizing it. Your first sentence should be re-written to say, "if you want to know what people really believe will make money, look at what they invest in." We can turn your ideological stance around for Florida. If you believe illegals are hurting the economy, then tell all the right-wingers not to higher them. That's the same as telling all the left-wingers to invest in clean energy if they believe in it ideologically.

Now you're learning something about policy. Governments impose policy when they believe markets fail. If you think the market is always right, then oh boy, Ron DeSantis should be the first politician you vote out. But you believe open borders are a market failure, and the easiest way to deal with that is government policy. It's not hypocritical for a liberal to want higher taxes for everyone while not offering to pay higher taxes themselves any more than right-wingers wanting the borders closed but until then, hiring illegals themselves, or buying products produced by illegals. Quit eating meat, Ajax, because it was processed by illegals. ha ha. See how dumb that is?

You'll never learn about coordination problems from Prager U. and Fox News, Ajax, these are advanced economics topics that don't get discussed in a 500 page textbook until about page 10. Thomas Sowell's example is mud flaps. People don't have an incentive to put mud flaps on their own cars, and so you need government policy to force everyone to have mud flaps. The same logic extends to your other hated policies about vaccination and lockdowns that don't work as well unless everyone or most people do it.

You're like a gnat lighting upon my laptop bag, and I flick it with my little finger to its doom 5 feet across the room to the wall.

Let me be clear lest you become confused: this aside is a tangent to the original conversation and will turn into a derail if we argue about what problems count as market failures, and whether or not proposed government policy is actually a solution; I'm just pointing out the concept of a market failure, how it is implicit in your own pathetic arguments without you understanding it, and then how that factors into perceptions people have about what will make money or not, as that seemed to be the theme of your response. Even where markets work fine an investment in something a person believes in ideologically might be too risky for the person to take. You've failed, thus far, to show why Gunner's actions (or anyone's) are out of sync with any alleged beliefs. Please educate yourself (by re-reading my post) and try again.