The poll of consent and appropriateness.

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.

My views on relationships relating to age.

Any age gap as long as above age of legal consent.
25%
Any age gap period regardless of law.
No votes
Teens should only date teens.
31%
Age gap within 10 years at any age above consent.
No votes
Age gap within 20 years at any age above consent.
No votes
Age gap within 5 years at any age above consent.
No votes
Depends on maturity but has to be legal.
13%
Depends on maturity, may be illegal.
6%
Students (< 25) shouldn't date non students (>24).
13%
Other - please comment.
13%

Total votes: 16

IWMP
Pirate

The poll of consent and appropriateness.

Post by IWMP »

What are your view... Choose from the poll options. More than one option can be chosen...
honorentheos
God

Re: The poll of consent and appropriateness.

Post by honorentheos »

I voted other. A person who has reduced relationships down to the level most of the discussions here place them isn't talking about healthy relationships, period, regardless of the relative ages of the folks involved.
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

honorentheos wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 2:54 am
I voted other. A person who has reduced relationships down to the level most of the discussions here place them isn't talking about healthy relationships, period, regardless of the relative ages of the folks involved.
Ditto.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

honorentheos wrote:
Agreed, although I didn’t vote.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

I think it was nice of IWP to create the poll in order to help DT out, independent of how misguided DT is.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Gadianton wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 4:20 pm
I think it was nice of IWP to create the poll in order to help DT out, independent of how misguided DT is.
For sure. I'm not sure any poll result would provide the needed realization on DT's part that would illuminate the often directly stated issues for him. But pirate's heart is in the right place.
IWMP
Pirate

Post by IWMP »

:O

I may have worded poorly...

I guess underage kids can "date" other underage kids of the same age ish... Really I think what I was implying is a sexual relationship. Not sure the American age of consent. I certainly would not want my kids having sex at 15. I'm sure they probably might be exploring that, I certainly wasn't at that age. But if my kid was 15 and dating an 18 year old, I'd be VERY upset.
IWMP
Pirate

Post by IWMP »

honorentheos wrote:
I was looking for your opinion, not your opinion of what others opinions might be. That sounds harsher than I'm trying to express it.

I think a person who is discussing relationships to the point of assuming the world is out to get them might feel that they are struggling and might be having difficulty navigating what might feel alien. Some wise words for those with more experience might be more beneficial?

I can imagine that if I wasn't married and was struggling to find a relationship that felt good, then I'd either assume that I am being isolated because of an external force or that there is something wrong with me. My personality type would assume I am the problem. I think it's easy to see things differently when you aren't worrying about why you aren't in a relationship.

I do NOT agree with adults dating children and teens. 19+ maybe. But a 17 year old with a 30+ year old feels wrong to me. Just to clarify my view. It is legal in the UK but I do think 17 year olds are not ready to settle down. And most 30+ year olds are. But not just that... It's the sense that there is an imbalance. But I am sure there are some rare cases. Like my sister in law who is still with the guy who literally has children older than her. I don't like him but I wouldn't tell them that.

She has grandchildren now. And has been with him all this time.

Oh the rain is pouring hard. Haha.

I'm rambling.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 7:36 pm
honorentheos wrote:
I was looking for your opinion, not your opinion of what others opinions might be. That sounds harsher than I'm trying to express it.

I think a person who is discussing relationships to the point of assuming the world is out to get them might feel that they are struggling and might be having difficulty navigating what might feel alien. Some wise words for those with more experience might be more beneficial? ...
Such words have been posted a myriad of times, for more than half a decade. If you're interested in seeing what people have been suggesting to him and why people think there is so much repetition in his posts, you can read his megathreads for a start.

DT's second megathread is here in this board rendition, and here's the link to the first one, starting in 2018, from a previous board rendition:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=152634
IWMP
Pirate

Post by IWMP »

Marcus wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 7:58 pm
Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 7:36 pm

I think a person who is discussing relationships to the point of assuming the world is out to get them might feel that they are struggling and might be having difficulty navigating what might feel alien. Some wise words for those with more experience might be more beneficial? ...
Such words have been posted a myriad of times, for more than half a decade. If you're interested in seeing what people have been suggesting to him and why people think there is so much repetition in his posts, you can read his megathreads for a start.

DT's second megathread is here in this board rendition, and here's the link to the first one, starting in 2018, from a previous board rendition:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=152634
Thanks for sharing. I read the first page but I'm still seeing the same thing. I am seeing a person struggling to navigate the dating world. You could say maybe there is a masculinist energy (is that the word? A male version of a feminist) but that can be caused by dating trauma.

DT, there are lots of dating apps and websites. Chat to everyone you find physically attractive and then date the ones that are interesting to talk to. But avoid talking about how the world is punishing men because that is a turn off. May be slightly true in some ways nowadays but not as extreme as I'm sure it feels.