This. stupid. board.

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
High Spy
First Presidency

Re: This. stupid. board.

Post by High Spy »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 3:59 am
Am I as a user able to implement the measures that High Spy suggested? If so, how is that done?
It’s an admin thing. Gad is the man!

Maybe more lurkers will join.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Jersey,

It's okay to be frustrated with the board and nobody takes offense. That just proves the value of the board and the epic vision of Dr. Shades.

It's a work in progress. I can assure you we are in a much better position than a couple years ago. In fact, it ran so clean for the first 2 years that I never had to log in once. So when we started having problems, it's been an effort to get up to speed on how to troubleshoot. Initially I couldn't even remember how to log in. :lol:

Some things have been fixed, or are getting better or in the process of getting fixed, this last time was potentially something new. But it went away by morning, and board is relatively snappy right now -- can really only make progress identifying problems when it's dirt slow. So if the next round of slowness lasts long enough, I know what to try next. But that has to correlate with me not being at work, or otherwise occupied so I can troubleshoot.

Unfortunately it's a little slow going, but the wheels aren't falling off, it's all somehow a function of increased use of the site.
IWMP
Pirate

Post by IWMP »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 4:25 am
High Spy wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 4:03 am
More periods may do the trick, especially try searching for one on youtube. :lol:

Limiting search function to logged on members is more likely an effective measure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jPHlmWNAM0
Show me where in my post I discussed searching anything.
I think high spy is saying that bots and people lurking searching can slow down the board. If it's Limited to logged in members then it's not running in the background of people who might have tabs open but their logged in status has times out or cookies or whatever it is that happens.
IWMP
Pirate

Post by IWMP »

Are you able to tell how many visitors are real visitors? Can you tell how many visitors is actually a single person?
IWMP
Pirate

Post by IWMP »

Good call spy.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Getting granular is difficult. I've shutdown the bots I can leaving only Google. Bots are the offender. More research may eventually be needed and write custom code to shutdown bots the board can't by default.

As it stands, we seem to be stable on this issue. The crazy slowness that resulted in this thread was definitely NOT bots / session count.
IWMP
Pirate

Post by IWMP »

Gadianton wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 1:59 am
getting granular is difficult. I've shutdown the bots I can leaving only Google. bots are the offender. more research may eventually be needed and write custom code to shutdown bots the board can't by default.

As it stands, we seem to be stable on this issue. The crazy slowness that resulted in this thread was definitely NOT bots / session count.
Whole site has slowed again. Logging in is hard.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

I want to report something while it's fresh in my mind because it just happened again.

I log in to the board. Pick up a PM and begin to reply. When I hit the submit button, I end up being logged out. :shock:

So what I've been doing when I reach logged out status is before logging back in ...copy the message before I try logging back in so I still have it.

When I log back in the message is usually still ready to submit but it's disconcerting all the same.

Was that clear as mud?
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

ETA I lost a whole entire lengthy reply to someone in messages. Help! Help!

Also, since I stay up super late...I've noticed the board bogs down in the wee hours. Takes a long time to load regardless of what I am doing--opening a forum, opening a PM, submitting a post, submitting a PM. If that helps to know.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
IWMP
Pirate

Post by IWMP »

I find that I can change pages within a subject easily but changing to a different subject is slower. The chat sometimes randomly logs out. Sometimes the telestial forum vanishes. The home page seems to make Google think it is French and needs translating.