The next insurrection:

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
huckelberry
God

Re: The next insurrection:

Post by huckelberry »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:57 pm
huckelberry wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:28 pm

Atlanticmike, as a second thought I see that you have made a clear statement of how people come to vote for Trump. My first thought was the "progressives internal hatred for life" is a statement of the most delusional misunderstanding I have seen for some while now.
Please explain the delusion.
Progressives, going back at least to Teddy Roosevelt are folks whose love of life energize the efforts to make the world a better place.

Ok the world has a wide variety of people there should by the numbers be exceptions somewhere. I do have a hard time seeing you being pushed around the schoolyard by some big mean progressive.

You appear to feel sorry for yourself. Is there a reason?
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:53 pm
Just so you know, I'm not talking about the majority of Democrats and not liberals, I know a lot of great liberals. But some of the progressives I've met are operating under a cult mentality. Does the GOP have a far right fringe that needs to be monitored to make sure they don't get out of hand, yes. But so does the Democratic party and right now the liberals are scared to death of their out of control fringe, the so called "Progressives".
Based on your recent posts it seems to me that you really haven't a clue about who progressives really are and what they really stand for. How do you define a "progressive", and what do you think they really advocate? It looks to me that you are blindly swallowing Trumpists' lies about progressives and attempts to defame them, hook, line and sinker. What do you think distinguishes a progressive from a liberal?

Do you really think that accepting the medical advice and recommendation of the vast majority of medical professionals and epidemiologists to get vaccinated and encouraging mask use to minimize infection until most people are vaccinated in order to save lives is indicative of bullying and fascist oppression as MTG would have us believe? Few things are more strongly indicative of bullying than condemning and attacking people merely for refusal to buy into and propagate the gargantuan lie that the recent election was stolen from Trump. Do you believe that lie yourself? Are you really not yet aware that Trump is one of history's most infamous and prolific pathological liars?
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

Gunnar wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:55 am
Atlanticmike wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:53 pm
Just so you know, I'm not talking about the majority of Democrats and not liberals, I know a lot of great liberals. But some of the progressives I've met are operating under a cult mentality. Does the GOP have a far right fringe that needs to be monitored to make sure they don't get out of hand, yes. But so does the Democratic party and right now the liberals are scared to death of their out of control fringe, the so called "Progressives".
Based on your recent posts it seems to me that you really haven't a clue about who progressives really are and what they really stand for. How do you define a "progressive", and what do you think they really advocate? It looks to me that you are blindly swallowing Trumpists' lies about progressives and attempts to defame them, hook, line and sinker.

Do you really think that accepting the medical advice and recommendation of the vast majority of medical professionals and epidemiologists to get vaccinated and encouraging mask use to minimize infection until most people are vaccinated in order to save lives is indicative of bullying? Few things are more strongly indicative of bullying than condemning and attacking people merely for refusal to buy into and propagate the gargantuan lie that the recent election was stolen from Trump. Do you believe that lie yourself? Are you really not yet aware that Trump is one of history's most infamous and prolific pathological liars?

" But I want to say one thing to the American people, I want you to listen to me, I'm not going to say this again, I did not have sexually relations with that women, Miss Lewinsky." 😂😂😂

Please tell me you're aware that politicians on both sides are liars. Personally, I didn't like Trump before he started running for president. The show he did made me want to punch him in the face, I probably only watched 2 episodes. Even before that, atleast I think it was, I remember an interview he did where a reporter asked him a question about what he would do if one of his kids went against what he thought was right and he said he would take them out of the will. That answer has stuck with me and that's how I will always think of trump, a narcissist a-hole. But that doesn't mean narcissist a-holes can't be useful in certain situations, like when you need a president to say F you to the Washington establishment, both sides, not just Democrats.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:46 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:23 pm
AM,

Why don’t you start by explaining “progressives internal hatred for life”?

- Doc
Easy, go to Some Schmo's post history and read for a few minutes.
I have known and appreciated Some Schmo's posts for a long time, and if you think he possesses an internal hatred for life, you don't understand him at all. He has much more real respect and honest appreciation for life than any of the hard right anti-abortionists who refuse to lift a finger to help provide for and protect all the children they insist must be carried to term, after they are no longer in the womb. There are very good reasons to minimize the number of abortions, and the decision to abort should never be taken lightly or frivolously, but I'm convinced there really are situations when abortion is the lesser evil of the available alternatives. That decision primarily belongs to the woman and her doctor. I consider myself both pro-choice and pro-life and don't find any inherent contradiction in that. I highly resent the implication that pro-choice is necessarily equivalent to anti-life. Surely the best way to minimize abortions is to prevent unwanted pregnancy in the first place. That is why it is so stupid to oppose, let alone outlaw, using or teaching about contraceptives and how to use them.
Last edited by Gunnar on Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:24 am, edited 4 times in total.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:36 am
" But I want to say one thing to the American people, I want you to listen to me, I'm not going to say this again, I did not have sexually relations with that women, Miss Lewinsky." 😂😂😂

Please tell me you're aware that politicians on both sides are liars. Personally, I didn't like Trump before he started running for president. The show he did made me want to punch him in the face, I probably only watched 2 episodes. Even before that, atleast I think it was, I remember an interview he did where a reporter asked him a question about what he would do if one of his kids went against what he thought was right and he said he would take them out of the will. That answer has stuck with me and that's how I will always think of trump, a narcissist a-hole. But that doesn't mean narcissist a-holes can't be useful in certain situations, like when you need a president to say F you to the Washington establishment, both sides, not just Democrats.
None of the above detracted from the validity and strength of my arguments or even really addressed them.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

huckelberry wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:24 pm
Atlanticmike wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:57 pm

Please explain the delusion.
Progressives, going back at least to Teddy Roosevelt are folks whose love of life energize the efforts to make the world a better place.
Thanks, huckleberry! That's as good a description of Progressives as I have ever heard. Teddy Roosevelt was an excellent example of a progressive, and he was a Republican, as you well know. The difference between him and today's Republican leaders could hardly be more stark! He famously and laudably started the whole idea of the National Parks and monuments system that now graces our great country, which some, including the documentarian, Ken Burns, has called America's greatest idea. Trump, on the other hand, is apparently, if anything, antagonistic to that Idea, and would prefer to sell off those national treasures to the highest corporate bidders for purely mercenary purposes.
Last edited by Gunnar on Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:50 pm
Well. Pro-birthers are stuck on the point that pro-choicers are fine with killing future humans. We can sugarcoat killing future humans all we want, but that’s exactly what’s happening. Unfortunately for pro-birthers they haven’t demonstrated much interest in humans outside of self-interest, so it’s not like they’re pro-life, either.

Personally, I’m ok with outlawing abortions as long as we institute a competency and IQ test that one must pass in order to make future humans. Ya gotta get loicense, mate, to procreate. I consider that a win for the Left, a win for the Right, and a win for da Erf.

- Doc
No dice. You suggest a competency test with nothing to base it on. First, a course in child development and a test based on the course content. Then the IQ and whatever else you want there leading to the license. Throw in some budgeting and financial planning while you're at it.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Deal.
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Lucille.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:36 am
But that doesn't mean narcissist a-holes can't be useful in certain situations, like when you need a president to say F you to the Washington establishment...
Especially useful when you need a country torn apart by internal strife and insurrection for the glorification of that narcissist. by the way, he should also be praised for having the world record for most lies told by any political leader. Other politicians may be liars, but they are just pikers when it comes to Trump.

Trump can kiss the butts of Putin and Kim, while standing strong against the Center for Infectious Disease Control.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace