COVID is getting worse

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Chap
God

Re: COVID is getting worse

Post by Chap »

subgenius wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:29 pm
“Right now in the United States people should not be walking around with masks . . . You should think of healthcare providers who are needing them and the people who are ill.”
Like the man said, that was right THEN, when:

(a) There was a major shortage of masks to protect health workers. On the whole that is no longer the case.

(b) It was not yet clear how major a role masks could play as a means of preventing members of the general population from transmitting the virus to other people.

And your problem is what, exactly?
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

While we are on the role of masks, have a look at this from a newspaper site:

https://elpais.com/ciencia/2020-10-24/u ... -aire.html

(Scroll down to set the animation working)

The captions are in Spanish, but the meaning of what is shown in the (rather cool) animations is pretty damn obvious. Masks, distancing and ventilation matter. A lot.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Chap wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:53 pm
While we are on the role of masks, have a look at this from a newspaper site:

https://elpais.com/ciencia/2020-10-24/u ... -aire.html

(Scroll down to set the animation working)

The captions are in Spanish, but the meaning of what is shown in the (rather cool) animations is pretty damn obvious. Masks, distancing and ventilation matter. A lot.
That was an excellent site. I wonder if an anti-masker Covid-19 conspiracist would look at that and change their mind or behavior at all? I kind of doubt it.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Chap wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:51 pm
subgenius wrote:
“Right now in the United States people should not be walking around with masks . . . You should think of healthcare providers who are needing them and the people who are ill.”

(a) There was a major shortage of masks to protect health workers. On the whole that is no longer the case.

(b) It was not yet clear how major a role masks could play as a means of preventing members of the general population from transmitting the virus to other people.

Any functional adult should understand by now that guidance from the WHO, CDC, and state and local health departments is based on the knowledge available at the time the guidance is issued. Such an adult should also understand that, COVID-19 being a NOVEL coronavirus means that the state of knowledge is changing as we study and learn more about the virus.

Any adult interested in understanding guidance from these organizations should understand the differences among cloth face coverings, medical or surgical masks, and respirators. They should also understand that people sometimes use the term "masks" as a general term that includes the subcategories.

The specific guidance from all of these organizations can be found easily on their respective web sites. I tend to pay the most attention to my local health district, as the advice reflects the current state of the pandemic in my county. I always take a cloth face covering with me when I leave the house, as I can't always anticipate when I might not be able to avoid close contact with another person. If I'm walking, I put it on when I leave the house. If I'm driving, I put it on when I first get out of my car. When I put it on, I make sure it's properly adjusted. Then I never touch it again until I return home. Then, I remove it by touching only the elastic that holds it in place and deposit it in our dirty mask box. It's an easy routine that I no longer have to think about. It reduces the risk of me transmitting the virus, which helps slow the rate of new cases. It might lower my chance of becoming infected, although I don't think that's clear. It doesn't harm me. And it doesn't increase my chance of be coming infected.

If Sub actually posted information in context, we'd hear from him only a couple times a year.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:21 pm
If Sub actually posted information in context, we'd hear from him only a couple times a year.
I've run the numbers, and I believe your estimate is a bit high.

(I'm totally lying. I haven't run all the numbers because I haven't read a post of his in years, unless someone quotes him. Unfortunately, that happens all too often. So I admit, I'm only basing my numbers on the small sample I've taken. There may be a kernel of corn in his crap, but I've never seen one.)
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Any functional adult should ...
Sure, but the fellow you’re rebutting is a member of Clan of the Man-Child.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

canpakes wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:14 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Any functional adult should ...
Sure, but the fellow you’re rebutting is a member of Clan of the Man-Child.
Isn't it spelled "Klan?"

(Asking for a... someone else).
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Here's a neat (non-paywalled) piece from the NYT by a fellow who wanted to figure out how many people were in his COVID-19 "bubble" https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/20/opin ... ticleShare
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
subgenius
Stake President

Post by subgenius »

Chap wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:51 pm
subgenius wrote:

Oh, no problem. Inconsistency and premature conclusions are just good science.

Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

I have qualms about going to my son's house for Thanksgiving. Hopefully, everyone is COVID-free, but I am in the high-risk group. I haven't seen them all since the 4th of July.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace