Codify Thread Starter Rights and Get a Mod Team

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Lem
God

Re: Codify Thread Starter Rights and Get a Mod Team

Post by Lem »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:26 am

Nothing to fix you fuckin Nazi!! Hey, go tell calm she's a fuckin Nazi also.
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:54 am

I wonder if this kind of LDS behavior is any sort of indictment on the claim that Mormonism refines you, makes you a better person? I mean, is it enough to get dunked and pretend to slit your own throat in the temple, but you can act this way? If so, what’s the point? Is Mormonism simply a ‘check the box’ religion, where your salvation isn’t dependent on personal behavior? Weird.

eta: I suppose with outing Russell M. Nelson as an abject liar, we’re shown Mormonism doesn’t really do anything for you on a personal level. Between the prophet being a liar, and Atlantic Mike’s vulgarities and misogyny, Mormonism is a pretty toxic philosophy.

- Doc
Our troll certainly gives us no reason to think otherwise. Add in a LOT of projection and some very immature anger issues and he's the complete toxic package.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:

I wonder if this kind of LDS behavior is any sort of indictment on the claim that Mormonism refines you, makes you a better person? I mean, is it enough to get dunked and pretend to slit your own throat in the temple, but you can act this way? If so, what’s the point? Is Mormonism simply a ‘check the box’ religion, where your salvation isn’t dependent on personal behavior? Weird.

eta: I suppose with outing Russell M. Nelson as an abject liar, we’re shown Mormonism doesn’t really do anything for you on a personal level. Between the prophet being a liar, and Atlantic Mike’s vulgarities and misogyny, Mormonism is a pretty toxic philosophy.

- Doc
You know I actually took some time to think about cultural considerations. I've decided that I can't rightly condemn an entire religious system and it's culture based on the dysfunction of one individual. It's just not possible for me to do that.

I'm not sure how to explain the repeated Nazi related remarks.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:45 am
I've decided that I can't rightly condemn an entire religious system and it's culture based on the dysfunction of one individual. It's just not possible for me to do that.
It's not a condemnation of an entire religious system. It's simply evidence that the religious claim that people need religion's moral teachings is inaccurate. If a person uses religion as motivation to become a better person, the credit goes to the person, not the tool they used.

And we can be pretty confident this is true because clearly, not everyone uses the tool the same way.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Is Shades on vacation?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

Lem wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:31 am
Atlanticmike wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:26 am

Nothing to fix you fuckin Nazi!! Hey, go tell calm she's a fuckin Nazi also.
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:

- Doc
Our troll certainly gives us no reason to think otherwise. Add in a LOT of projection and some very immature anger issues and he's the complete toxic package.
Toxic??????😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 You're funny you fuckin Nazi!! I use the same language as doc cam , Icarus and schmo and somehow I'm the one that is toxic!!!! 😂😂😂😂😂😂 Go “F” yourself!!! I'm fairly sure no one else wants to.
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Some Schmo wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:58 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:45 am
I've decided that I can't rightly condemn an entire religious system and it's culture based on the dysfunction of one individual. It's just not possible for me to do that.
It's not a condemnation of an entire religious system. It's simply evidence that the religious claim that people need religion's moral teachings is inaccurate. If a person uses religion as motivation to become a better person, the credit goes to the person, not the tool they used.

And we can be pretty confident this is true because clearly, not everyone uses the tool the same way.
Good point. Especially if the religious system insists that without it, one cannot become a better person.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Cultellus wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:49 pm
Moksha wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:13 am
Is Shades on vacation?
No. Why would you ask? Is there a problem?
I asked because I think something is going wrong with this forum. In truth, I don't think Dr. Shades will do anything about it, but I wanted to register my concern.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

Moksha wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:30 pm
Cultellus wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:49 pm

No. Why would you ask? Is there a problem?
I asked because I think something is going wrong with this forum. In truth, I don't think Dr. Shades will do anything about it, but I wanted to register my concern.
What's wrong with the forum sir?
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Moksha wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:30 pm

I'm afraid what you're seeing is the consequence of failure to enforce the fairly minimal rules this site has. The breakdown started well before the entrance of our two new, active members, but they have significantly accelerated the problems. We could remedy 90% of the problems by conforming our behavior to the rules, especially the rule against derailing and the civility rules. If you want to insult or troll someone, do it in telestial or prison. If someone derails or insults anywhere else, ignore them. If they are repeat offenders, use the foe function and completely ignore them. Don't give them the dopamine hits they crave.

The other thing that will allow substantive discussions in paradise to resume is to address rules issues in separate threads, like this very. Nothing derails a substantive discussion faster than a pie fight over the rules. We all know how to discuss the substance of a thread's topic. If you want to call out a rules issue, start another thread and link to it from the substantive thread. It's not hard. It takes only a little effort.

The long-timers here could restore prison to a place for interesting discussions of non-Mormon topics by re-reading the rules and conforming their own behavior to the sprit, if not the letter, of the rules. A moderator won't be able to fix the situation unless we're willing to modify to conform our own behavior to the rules.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:07 pm
If they are repeat offenders, use the foe function and completely ignore them. Don't give them the dopamine hits they crave.
This is the real solution. Given the activity lately, using the foe feature really cleans up the threads.

Show you are better off without them. Use the foe feature today!
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.