Election Litigation Status

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Nomomo
Priest

Re: Election Litigation Scorecard

Post by Nomomo »

LInk?
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Michigan state legislators agreed to hold a hearing into election irregularities (starts wednesday)while a federal appeals court expedited proceedings to consider Trump’s legal challenge in Pennsylvania. 3rd circuit
Completely overturning both states would still make no difference in the election outcome. It would, however, change the electoral count from something that now stands at what Trump termed a ‘historic landslide’ in 2016.

Trump will have a hard time dealing with losing to Biden in a ‘historic landslide’. And he has to keep the base agitated so that he can keep fleecing them.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:36 am
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:18 pm
Man, I really appreciate you keeping us up to speed on this process. I've actually used quite a bit of your material discussing it with others in real life and across the Internet.

- Doc
You're welcome. I'm glad you find it helpful. It's been interesting learning the nitty gritty of how our election system works. I'm glad you find my scribblings helpful.
You can add me to the list of your grateful fans for taking the time to share your legal expertise and knowledge with us! I have always greatly appreciated and respected your contributions. :)
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

subgenius wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:34 am
Michigan state legislators agreed to hold a hearing into election irregularities (starts wednesday)while a federal appeals court expedited proceedings to consider Trump’s legal challenge in Pennsylvania. 3rd circuit
If they seriously consider Trump's ridiculous legal challenge to be at all valid, they are either fools or cowards who have succumbed to Trump's bullying and intimidation, or just as corrupt and dishonest as Trump himself. If they actually do overturn the election based on Trump's completely specious claims, they are outright traitors to our democratic republic.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Trump Can't Install Himself as President, But His Actual Goal May Be Immunity From Prosecution
Glenn Kirshner may be right. Could this be the real reason Trump is fighting so desperately to avoid conceding the election? Could he really be trying to use conceding as a bargaining chip to be granted immunity from prosecution?
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Gunnar wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:47 pm
Trump Can't Install Himself as President, But His Actual Goal May Be Immunity From Prosecution
Glenn Kirshner may be right. Could this be the real reason Trump is fighting so desperately to avoid conceding the election? Could he really be trying to use conceding as a bargaining chip to be granted immunity from prosecution?
That is a possible Trump goal (although the idea of Trump, who tends to operate in the transactional now, having subtly crafted goals has a measure of implausibility). But:

(a) I cannot see any way Trump has enough bargaining power to extort immunity from Federal AND State prosecution (even if the latter turned out to be constitutional). He's highly unlikely to be able to overturn Biden's advantage in the electoral college as things now stand. What's he going to do - threaten to nuke Scranton?

(b) It is unlikely that such a bill would pass both houses of Congress, even if the Senate passed it.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

subgenius wrote:
One of the characteristics of our broken democracy I find very distasteful is our rush to judge an action by an institution of democracy in a partisan light.

You seem to have posted this because you view both as favoring your guy. And others have reacted to it in kind

But the thing is, the process of vote counting and certification in Michigan had to conclude BY LAW before any hearings could occur regarding issues with the election and holding said hearing was expected given the claims. It's also expected the results will have no impact on the outcome of the election, and frankly a hearing is valuable in shoring up trust in the election process.

And come on. Res already pointed out the judicial processes and expedited reviews are part of the procedure here.

This is how democracy works. I know people prefer totalitarian governments that mirror their own views and act swiftly and accordingly in line with those views. But really?
Last edited by honorentheos on Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Gunnar wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:19 am
subgenius wrote:
If they seriously consider Trump's ridiculous legal challenge to be at all valid, they are either fools or cowards who have succumbed to Trump's bullying and intimidation, or just as corrupt and dishonest as Trump himself. If they actually do overturn the election based on Trump's completely specious claims, they are outright traitors to our democratic republic.
The MI legislature is looking into making improvements in the process for future elections, not trying to change the results of this one. https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/ ... 390475002/

Basic Appellate procedure: The loser at trial has a right to an appeal in the Court of Appeals. An expedited hearing in election litigation is SOP, given the deadlines involved.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Thanks, Res.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

honorentheos wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:23 pm
Thanks, Res.
You're welcome. I read the Trump campaign's brief in front of the 3rd Circuit. It's a little odd. It looks like they are trying claim fraud in order to create standing, but not really claiming fraud because there are special pleading requirements for fraud. This is clearly the case they want the Supreme Court to hear, and they want to make sure they can include their best arguments.

They also filed an emergency motion for the 3rd Circuit to (you could have guessed it by now) stop the certification process. Given how short the briefing schedule is (it will be complete today), I don't think the court will do that.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.