The Military and Trump: Questions for Dr. Cam

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Jersey Girl
God

Re: The Military and Trump: Questions for Dr. Cam

Post by Jersey Girl »

honorentheos wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:55 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:48 pm

You mean like stocks?
I guess. I'm not a financial advisor but that's where a big chunk of mine is right now. I have a while (hopefully) before I'll need to stop building it and start taking from it, though.
Covered. ;-)
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Morley
God
Location: Jan van Eyck, Portrait of a Man (Self Portrait), 1433

Post by Morley »

dantana wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:22 pm
Morley wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:45 pm
Great thread.

Thanks.
I agree.
My estimate is, the biggest talkers are also the biggest bs'rs. Also, I could very well be wrong on this one but, when I see a guy with a 'Vietnam vet' cap or bumper sticker, my default thought is...yeah right.
Sadly, that’s been my experience. I used to go shake hands and ask hat wearers what unit and area (Corps) they were in. Well over half the time, they’d either never served (“just honoring my brother”) or said they were a veteran but didn’t actually serve in-country. After a while, I stopped approaching guys. It pissed me off too much.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

honorentheos wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:06 pm
Moksha, we've known each other online for a while. You seem like a decent, intelligent person. But you're also as one-sided and unrealistic about politics as ajax is just coming from the other side of it.
I post my thoughts as I see fit.
You demonstrate zero regard for the humanity of those who do not share your views, and zero regard or recognition of the fundamental mechanics and principles of a system that has to hold together a pluralistic society composed of people with wildly different views.
You are entitled to your opinion.
This isn't a time for partisan crap. The threat isn't from trumpets alone, but from extremists who can't see past their own interests and whose values are as shallow as their egos are fragile.
Sounds like fighting words to me.
Being on the right side of this doesn't automatically make a person's view right.
Doesn't make them chopped live either.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Moksha wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:15 am
honorentheos wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:06 pm
Moksha, we've known each other online for a while. You seem like a decent, intelligent person. But you're also as one-sided and unrealistic about politics as ajax is just coming from the other side of it.
I post my thoughts as I see fit.
You demonstrate zero regard for the humanity of those who do not share your views, and zero regard or recognition of the fundamental mechanics and principles of a system that has to hold together a pluralistic society composed of people with wildly different views.
You are entitled to your opinion.
This isn't a time for partisan crap. The threat isn't from trumpets alone, but from extremists who can't see past their own interests and whose values are as shallow as their egos are fragile.
Sounds like fighting words to me.
Being on the right side of this doesn't automatically make a person's view right.
Doesn't make them chopped live either.
;)
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

honorentheos wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:47 pm
Some Schmo wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:22 pm

You do realize moksha likes to joke around, right? Is there space for that here?
"I was just joking," has lost significant cachet after Trump over used it.
That is incredibly insulting to moksha, and a classic false equivalence.

Kind of dumb to say in this context, too.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Some Schmo wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:24 am
honorentheos wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:47 pm
"I was just joking," has lost significant cachet after Trump over used it.
That is incredibly insulting to moksha, and a classic false equivalence.

Kind of dumb to say in this context, too.
Ok. The context being where he offered up a "joke" about Trumper killbots and how to blend in to avoid them is the wrong place to comment on his mirrored position taking that dehumanized people with opposing political views? And then suggesting attempting to hide it behind the claim of, "It was just a joke" further emphasized the similarity in form was dumb?

Huh.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

honorentheos wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:31 am
Ok. The context being where he offered up a "joke" about Trumper killbots and how to blend in to avoid them is the wrong place to comment on his mirrored position taking that dehumanized people with opposing political views? And then suggesting attempting to hide it behind the claim of, "It was just a joke" further emphasized the similarity in form was dumb?

Huh.
Huh?
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

honorentheos wrote:

Huh.
First off, killbots and cyborgs are entirely separate entities. What the heck is going on Honor? Why am I receiving abuse from you?

by the way, I did not attempt to justify anything with "it was just a joke". Someone did that for me in my defense. As far as having an opinion goes, I refer back to an 18th Century English Statesman who said, "All it takes for bad men to triumph is for Moksha to only tell jokes".
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Moksha wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:42 am
Why am I receiving abuse from you?
You're not. Your positions posted on the board are receiving criticism from me.

Why?

Well, for starters when you said this,
Moksha wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:42 am
First off, killbots and cyborgs are entirely separate entities.
In response to my having said this -
honorentheos wrote:
The context being where he offered up a "joke" about Trumper killbots and how to blend in to avoid them is the wrong place to comment on his mirrored position taking that dehumanized people with opposing political views?
And we compare it to what you said to prompt the original comment -
Moksha wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:57 pm
Trumpers are like deadly cyborgs waiting for the code of automatic rampage to be entered. They have stockpiled weapons for years in anticipation of creating a new Reich.
It doesn't leave me feeling like the conversation advanced beyond my first point which you apparently think is abusive.

What I'm presenting to you, moksha, is the argument being opposed to Trump while exhibiting similar dehumanizing behaviors and disregard for principle over partisan position is not exactly the improvement we need. So, again, being on the right side of the issue doesn't make a position right.
moksha wrote:I refer back to an 18th Century English Statesman who said, "All it takes for bad men to triumph is for Moksha to only tell jokes".
That's exactly the point. You aren't fighting bad men when you make blanket dehumanizing statements like you have been doing. You're behaving like one. We have the difficult task ahead of disentangling the country from the anti-democratic attitudes and actions of the last four years. We almost certainly haven't seen the last of this. Two years from now the Dems will likely lose the House if the trend holds. Democrats gaining/holding the Senate is more likely based on the map but still, it doesn't take much for people to blame the party in power for everything wrong in the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Unit ... ,_2022.svg

You don't like Trump and what he represents? Restructure your strategy or buckle in for what will be a whiplash inducing reversal in 2022 and 2024.

The real, critical work is just getting started.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

honorentheos wrote:
Ok. The context being where he offered up a "joke" about Trumper killbots and how to blend in to avoid them is the wrong place to comment on his mirrored position taking that dehumanized people with opposing political views?
I was tired when I first read this, and didn't have the faintest clue what you were trying to say. I decided to attempt to disentangle this post this morning, and I'm not having much more luck.
And then suggesting attempting to hide it behind the claim of, "It was just a joke" further emphasized the similarity in form was dumb?
I'll just say this: when Trump says "I was just joking," everyone with a brain knows he's full of crap. Trump uses that line after realizing he said something incredibly damned dumb because he thinks people believe all his nonsense (when it's really only his base who believe him).

That idiotic strategy has no resemblance whatsoever to what moksha does on this forum, so to equate the two is straw-grasping at it's most desperate.