2020 Election Night

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Gunnar
God

Re: 2020 Election Night

Post by Gunnar »

Xenophon wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:55 pm
It is also worth considering that for a lot of people they don't think it matters who the president is, they just live their lives. It is often hard for us to view the implications of our elected officials in our day-to-day lives, this makes change even more difficult.
My wife is one who seems to feel that way. It is a source of great disappointment and frustration to me. She is otherwise a very sensible and accomplished woman, and I love her with all my heart!
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Icarus
Bishop

Post by Icarus »

Looks like Biden may win this thing after all.

He doesn't need Pennsylvania, Georgia or North Carolina, which are still waiting for final counts.

All he needs to do is hang on to Michigan, Wisconsin, Arizona and Nevada.

With the three electoral votes from Maine and the one from Nebraska, that puts him at 271.

This is par for the course considering it is 2020.

After Biden is declared the winner in a few days, Trump will take it to the supreme court in an attempt to disenfranchise hundreds of thousands of voters simply because their votes were counted after midnight. Republicans in the media are already blasting him for suggesting this is fraud. But counting votes for days after an election is what's happened in virtually every election. Trump just lives in his own alternate universe where he gets to dictate reality to us as it suits himself.
Icarus
Bishop

Post by Icarus »

Biden underperformed big time in Miami, and they're attributing this to the large Cuban community who bought into the Trump campaign's fear mongering tactics about Biden-Harris being closet communists.

I'm shocked that Georgia is still in play.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Xenophon wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:55 pm
I tend to view it more that the American populace is apathetic, not dumb.
During an out of control pandemic, apathy equals dumb.
It is often hard for us to view the implications of our elected officials in our day-to-day lives, this makes change even more difficult.
Again... dumb. I actually think it's worse: a large segment of the population is downright self-destructive. It's kind of like suspecting you have cancer but not going to a doctor because it's too uncomfortable to think about it. That's the kind of apathy we're talking about here.

I don't disagree with you. I see it mostly the same way. I suppose I'm just not as forgiving as you are. As I said the other day: Americans are fat, lazy and stupid enough to not care if Trump wins.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

This is interesting:

https://theweek.com/speedreads/947822/b ... te-history

“Former Vice President Joe Biden is projected to receive more votes for president than any other candidate in U.S. election history. With many precincts still reporting results, he had already gathered 69,165,955 votes on Wednesday morning, compared to former President Barack Obama's 2008 popular vote total of 69,498,516.

The news follows reports on Tuesday night that the 2020 election was shaping up to have the highest voter turnout since 1908, when 65 percent of eligible Americans voted, The New York Times reports. The country was on track for around 160 million votes this year, which would put the eligible turnout rate at around 67 percent.“

However this turns out, I’m actually really heartened that so many people took their duty to vote seriously. Makes me proud to be American.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:34 pm
However this turns out, I’m actually really heartened that so many people took their duty to vote seriously. Makes me proud to be American.

- Doc
One of my relatives back East just voted for the first time in his life. He's gotta be 34. Put a pic on Facebook he was so proud of himself for stepping up this time. No clue who he voted for. But yeah, the voter turn out was heartening for sure.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:54 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:

- Doc
One of my relatives back East just voted for the first time in his life. He's gotta be 34. Put a pic on Facebook he was so proud of himself for stepping up this time. No clue who he voted for. But yeah, the voter turn out was heartening for sure.
Agree 100%.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Some Schmo wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:37 pm
I actually think it's worse: a large segment of the population is downright self-destructive.
They could be worrying that late-night talk shows would have a lack of comedic material. Or else they think the coming Reichstag fire will be fun if Trump gets the the Supreme Court to declare him Chancellor.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
I wish I could take comfort in the fact that a small majority understand how much of a damn up Trump is. It's just that the empty half of this particular glass is glaringly depressing. I don't have it in me to feel anything positive toward humanity right now. I can't see us celebrating the popular vote while 100's of people keep dying every day from a preventable disease.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Wisconsin: Biden
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!