Protect Us From This Dangerous President

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Re: Protect Us From This Dangerous President

Post by _Some Schmo »

Xenophon wrote:
Some Schmo wrote:If you didn't vote for the solution (Clinton), you're part of the problem (Drumpf).

First, that is some pretty black and white, binary thinking. If we follow that logic not voting for either of the two major candidates is effectively supporting both of them.

That's correct. It's a two party system. Had Hillary won, the same could have been said about her too. People who didn't vote were tacitly willing to accept whoever everyone else chose. I'm not sure what the problem is.

I'm not saying people didn't have their reasons for not voting. The fact is, we're stuck with a terrible president partly because a lot of people didn't vote, or voted for 3rd party candidates.

Xenophon wrote:Second, what about those of us that reside in states where our vote for Clinton could not possibly have been important in the EC win?

Yeah, had those people voted, we might be talking about a 4-5 million vote win in the popular vote instead of only 3 million. Citizens should still stand up and be counted. What if everyone in blue states relied on everyone else to determine the outcome?
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_Xenophon
_Emeritus

Post by _Xenophon »

Some Schmo wrote:
Xenophon wrote:Second, what about those of us that reside in states where our vote for Clinton could not possibly have been important in the EC win?

Yeah, had those people voted, we might be talking about a 4-5 million vote win in the popular vote instead of only 3 million. Citizens should still stand up and be counted. What if everyone in blue states relied on everyone else to determine the outcome?

Keep in mind, I'm not advocating for not voting, that is obviously never the solution. But apart for down ballot candidates and initiatives there is a a bit of wisdom for voters in the above mentioned scenario going third party to increase federal funding for other groups(even if that is only a tiny dent in the two-party problem).

There is something to be said for "standing and being counted" but at the end of the day, my vote for Clinton in my state would have amounted to nothing. If we can ever move to a model where electoral votes within a state are divided based upon popular vote yours would definitely be the superior method.

Honestly, the only group I have a serious problem with in all this is those groups that didn't vote. I may vehemently disagree with Trump supporters but at least I know where they stand. I have several family members in swing states that didn't vote and are now unhappy... that is madness I will never understand.
"If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation." -Xenophon of Athens
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

Xenophon wrote:Keep in mind, I'm not advocating for not voting, that is obviously never the solution. But apart for down ballot candidates and initiatives there is a a bit of wisdom for voters in the above mentioned scenario going third party to increase federal funding for other groups(even if that is only a tiny dent in the two-party problem).

There is something to be said for "standing and being counted" but at the end of the day, my vote for Clinton in my state would have amounted to nothing. If we can ever move to a model where electoral votes within a state are divided based upon popular vote yours would definitely be the superior method.

Honestly, the only group I have a serious problem with in all this is those groups that didn't vote. I may vehemently disagree with Trump supporters but at least I know where they stand. I have several family members in swing states that didn't vote and are now unhappy... that is madness I will never understand.

I think we agree for the most part; I certainly empathize with your point of view. I mean, I struggled for a long time before arriving at my decision to vote Clinton. I didn't want to do it, but I remember what finally convinced me: when Drumpf suggested that the Russians should hack Clinton to retrieve missing emails. I never thought Clinton was honest, but I also never suspected her of treason.

I hate the two party system and the EC, but I voted within its constraints for the best possible option to avoid the clusterfuck in which we find ourselves today. I was hoping enough others would do the same.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

The CCC wrote:
subgenius wrote:Trump will never be as scary as knowing that people like this can vote

Like these fine Christian "Patriots".
SEE http://www.rawstory.com/2017/03/trump-s ... ona-rally/

odd but your link did not work on my end..was it a story about the fine citizens at Berkley?
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Post by _Kevin Graham »

The problem is our electoral system which counts a vote from Red State South Dakota as being 2-3 times more important than a vote from Blue states like NY and Ca.
_The CCC
_Emeritus

Post by _The CCC »

Subs:

Print version.
SEE

Maricopa County burnished its reputation as the Trumpiest in America last weekend as hundreds of locals, including heavily armed militiamen, white nationalists and even a few elected officials, gathered to support the 45th president. The ensuing “March for Trump” was as horrifying as it sounds.

“I heard ‘lock her up, lock her up,’ and we still need to pursue that,” announced Arizona Congressman Anthony Kern; a nod to a prominent Trump campaign promise to imprison then-Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton.

“If you don’t like it here, go to Syria, go to someplace else,” one attendee shouted.

“I don’t want ’em, as a veteran I don’t want ’em, let ’em go back home,” another seconded. “If they’ve got a problem, let Saudi Arabia take care of ’em.”

Some even dared to tell Dan Cohen of the The Real News Network how they’d make America great again now that Trump was in office. And Muslims weren’t the only religious minority unwelcomed.

“If she is Jewish, she should go back to her country,” a 13-year-old Trump supporter said of a protester.

“This is America, we don’t want Sharia Law,” one attendee explained. “Christian country,” he added.

One man insisted that Senator John McCain was a “secret communist.”

“I think there’s a lot there,” he said of Pizzagate, a deranged right-wing conspiracy theory that Clinton’s campaign chairman John Podesta was running a child prostitution ring out of a Washington, D.C. pizzeria. “Definitely enough to warrant an investigation.”

The day’s proceedings would grow uglier still.

“I just want to let them know that I can’t wait for the liberal genocide to begin,” an Oath Keeper shouted at a small group of protesters.

“That’s the way to make America great again,” he later told Cohen. “Liberals are destroying the country.”
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

I'm not a fan of prescription drugs, but this one may be just what I'm looking for. Check your symptoms; Impeachara may be right for you!

ETA: I just noticed they called the drug antitrumpoxizine. LMAO
_Mayan Elephant
_Emeritus

Post by _Mayan Elephant »

Some Schmo wrote:If you didn't vote for the solution (Clinton), you're part of the problem (Drumpf).

And for context, Clinton is a solution in the same way almost any other politician would be a solution. Better than the moron we've got.

here we go again.

how could she be better? she can't even beat that wanker in a wank-off. she ain't better at running campaigns or getting elected, apparently. the only thing she seems to be better at is causing you and others to whine a lot. trump sucks, and he beat hillary. that makes her the runner-up.
"Rocks don't speak for themselves" is an unfortunate phrase to use in defense of a book produced by a rock actually 'speaking' for itself... (I have a Question, 5.15.15)
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

Mayan Elephant wrote:[Trump] beat hillary

Well, and he did it despite getting three million votes less than she did. I mean, that kind of winning is really special.
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_Mayan Elephant
_Emeritus

Post by _Mayan Elephant »

Chap wrote:
Mayan Elephant wrote:[Trump] beat hillary

Well, and he did it despite getting three million votes less than she did. I mean, that kind of winning is really special.

well, there ya go. yep. that kind of losing is way special. bless her heart.
"Rocks don't speak for themselves" is an unfortunate phrase to use in defense of a book produced by a rock actually 'speaking' for itself... (I have a Question, 5.15.15)