I HEREBY STEP DOWN FOR NOW

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Marcus
God

Re: I HEREBY STEP DOWN FOR NOW

Post by Marcus »

Chap wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:36 pm
I think people exaggerate the ill will of MG. At the very least, I am glad he does not come in here calling people he disagrees with "cockroaches" in the way Atlanticmike does. That kind of hate speech is probably worthy of banning in itself.
I chose my words carefully. But I think that behind the often rather saccharine front there is quite a lot of anger and aggression, and it sometimes shows. However, he is certainly no AtlanticMike.
Agreed. (Although i do recall reading that mentalgymnast wrote that people here were purveyors of sin and sodomites, and that exmormons were more likely to be liars than Mormons, but that could be just his religious indoctrination kicking in, and it also happened before his banning, from which i think he learned a lot. His yearslong harassment of grindael is still inexcusable, however.)

Atlanticmike is a very different kind of participant, indeed.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Kishkumen wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:41 pm
Chap wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:36 pm
I chose my words carefully. But I think that behind the often rather saccharine front there is quite a lot of anger and aggression, and it sometimes shows. However, he is certainly no AtlanticMike.
I see that MG is not infrequently frustrated and angry. I am sure it comes with the territory, in that he has chosen to endure in an environment where disregard for his cherished beliefs is the norm. It has to be tough, and I doubt I would deal with it the way he does, but I am glad he is no Atlanticmike.
Honestly, Kishkumen, I don’t often find myself angry. Frustrated? Yes, at times. But my default preference is to have a level headed and reasonable discussion. I am NOT a debater. I am NOT a logician. But I do like to see alternative ideas and thoughts tossed around.

And that can get a bit messy, granted.

Especially when one’s ideas and thoughts are not accepted as reasonable among the majority. Again, that’s human nature and that’s to be expected. There have been multiple times where I have hoped we could surmount that tendency, and we have! We all can do better.

Disagreeing without being disagreeable.

Doc?

Regards,
MG
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:55 pm
Kishkumen wrote:

I see that MG is not infrequently frustrated and angry. I am sure it comes with the territory, in that he has chosen to endure in an environment where disregard for his cherished beliefs is the norm. It has to be tough, and I doubt I would deal with it the way he does, but I am glad he is no Atlanticmike.
Honestly, Kishkumen, I don’t often find myself angry. Frustrated? Yes, at times. But my default preference is to have a level headed and reasonable discussion. I am NOT a debater. I am NOT a logician. But I do like to see alternative ideas and thoughts tossed around.

And that can get a bit messy, granted.

Especially when one’s ideas and thoughts are not accepted as reasonable among the majority. Again, that’s human nature and that’s to be expected. There have been multiple times where I have hoped we could surmount that tendency, and we have! We all can do better.

Disagreeing without being disagreeable.

Doc?

Regards,
MG
Before you came back as MG2.0 I had someone explain to me that you were one of the most angry posters ever to join the board. I don’t see that. I like your post.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Chap wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:51 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:40 pm
Where Shades is backing off as a result of a vocal few (and my experience is that a vocal few seem to have a lot of influence) I am concerned that this place will become even more of an echo chamber, if that’s even possible....
I think it is more that Shades is willing for others to take action that (rarely for a board owner) he finds distasteful: punishing behaviour clearly designed to disrupt the board and drive away posters by suspension or outright banning.
Totally agree with this. I disagree that Shades backs off as a result of a vocal few. That has not ever been his style.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:58 pm

Before you came back as MG2.0 I had someone explain to me that you were one of the most angry posters ever to join the board. I don’t see that. I like your post.
This is a fascinating post. I can't think of anyone on this board who would have described mentalgymnast as "one of the most angry posters." Even Chap's recent post noted his techniques are hidden behind saccharine sweetness. Passive-aggressive? Yes. Most angry? No.

Is it possible that these behind the scenes 'communications' shared with us by AtlanticMike are (gasp!!) not true??!!!

:roll:
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

Marcus wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:17 pm
Atlanticmike wrote:

This is a fascinating post. I can't think of anyone on this board who would have described mentalgymnast as "one of the most angry posters." Even Chap's recent post noted his techniques are hidden behind saccharine sweetness. Passive-aggressive? Yes. Most angry? No.

Is it possible that these behind the scenes 'communications' shared with us by AtlanticMike are (gasp!!) not true??!!!

Look ma’am, I understand you think everyone here should hold your progressive cult view but trust me, they don’t. But if it makes you feel better then go ahead and think that.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Marcus wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:17 pm
Atlanticmike wrote:

:lol: Apparently they are not. We’ve heard from the ma’am himself!
Last edited by Marcus on Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:30 pm

Look ma’am, I understand you think everyone here should hold your progressive cult view but trust me, they don’t. But if it makes you feel better then go ahead and think that.
Hey what happened to your Quarterback? Do you miss him? :D
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Kishkumen wrote:
I see that MG is not infrequently frustrated and angry. I am sure it comes with the territory, in that he has chosen to endure in an environment where disregard for his cherished beliefs is the norm. It has to be tough, and I doubt I would deal with it the way he does...
I will never understand maintaining a belief if someone criticizing it makes you upset. People criticize what I believe all the time, but it doesn't bother me in the least, because I either have enough reason to believe it, or it leads me to question why I believe it in the first place. Getting upset is a blaring siren telling you something is wrong with your belief, not the criticism.

If it takes work to maintain a belief, the belief should be questioned.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:25 am
"What good is a Libertarian utopia if no one wants to live there?"
--Dr. Shades, 11-26-2021
It only takes a couple of anarchic bomb-throwers waging a verbal guerilla war to create a Libertarian Dystopia. The deputies now have the power to restore order to Omelas and free the imprisoned child from its cell. Fiat voluntas Dei.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace