What is Gravity?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Imwashingmypirate
God

Re: What is Gravity?

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

Valo wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 5:49 pm
Good bye, until next time. :D
You off?
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

The Wicker Man wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 7:39 pm

Everything is derived from the model. There are just a few parts to the model.

These are the components of the model.
1) There is aether
2) There is matter

These are the states of each component of the model.
1) Aether pressurizes the universe
2) Matter is being held together

These are the interactions between the components of the model
1) Aether at the center of a particle of matter ceases to exist
2) A low pressure area is brought about when aether ceases to exist
3) Surrounding aether then rushes in and the process is continuous
4) When aether rushes through and into matter it transfers a momentum impulse to matter

These are the effects of the interaction between the components of the model
1) Gravity as a pushing force
2) Aether spiraling into an atom of matter creating an "electron cloud"
3) When the aether spirals further in it supplies the strong nuclear force
4) The aether also form vortex that interlock to supply weak nuclear forces

These are the observable consequences of the model
1) Light as a propagation wave through the aether
2) Electricity is aether being forced down a conductor
3) Magnetism is atoms spinning in unison changing the direction of the aether
4) The big bang, enough of a pressure drop in the aether allowing the singularity to fly apart
5) Black hole, aether moving into matter faster than a propagation wave can escape
6) Halo around a star, The light from a star that is behind is bent by the moving aether when it passes the closer star
7) Ever expanding universe at an ever increasing rate, the aether is expanding always with acceleration
9) Sunspot cycle, Jupiter competing with the Sun for aether the closer they are the more unstable the Sun becomes

Predictions of the model
1) Light travels faster between the stars where the pressure is greater
2) Stars are not as far away as they seem
3) The rate of radioactive decay in unstable isotopes will increase over time
4) Other isotopes will become unstable
5) Stars will change from fusion to fission at some point
6) A long ice age will occur when a star changes from fusion to fission
7) Gravity will weaken
8) When gravity weakens far enough the universe will dissolve

In other words this model explains everything. And when something new is observed this model never requires modification.

I first proposed this model in 1969 when I was 12 years old.
Now that we get to see The Wicker Man's model in all its glory, we show that Physics Guy accurately described the model upthread:
Physics Guy wrote: I'm afraid that the biggest problem with amateur physics theories like this thing about annihilating aether is not even that they are wrong. It's that these theories are formed under the misconception that providing a nice mental picture for something is an important achievement.

Thinking that mental images are scientific insights is like thinking that rocket science is about doodling little pointy shapes with fire coming out the back. You might well use such a doodle to try to convey what a rocket is, to someone who has no idea, but actual rockets are not little sketches. In the same way, popular science explanations of General Relativity often tell you that space is stretchy like pizza dough, or something like that. That's not a bad crude indication of what the theory is about, kind of at the level of the rocket doodle, but it is not the theory itself, any more than the sketch is a rocket. If you want to know what General Relativity actually is, you have to learn to understand Einstein's equation for the metric tensor of spacetime. That's the actual rocket.
What The Wicker Man created is a mental picture, although i think "nice" would be generous. It most certainly is not a model.

He never defines "aether" but simply asserts it exists. It is the equivalent asserting that "magic" creates gravity.

The model is based loosely on the wind. The aether flows from high to low pressure, just like air does in the earth's atmosphere. But it ignores the reasons why the atmosphere behaves this way: the sun and the earth's rotation. That's one of the typical errors made by amateur physicists -- they draw an analogy to a completely different physical system and design a model around the mental picture of how it operates.

The Wicker Man is at least aware that he needed some kind of explanation of high and low pressure systems in the aether, so he simply asserts that aether is "annihilated" when it reaches the center of a particle. He never explains why this annihilation happens or how the aether reaches the center of particle.

Every piece of the "model" is the same thing: a straight up assertion with no explanation that explains how the model actually works. There is no explanation of why the aether starts spinning when close to an atom but not in the vicinity of a rotating planet. There is no explanation of how a spinning atom can cause the aether to spin without loss of the atom's angular momentum.

Although he asserts otherwise, the "model" cannot explain the expansion of the universe at an accelerating rate. In the model, the aether is constantly being annihilated, but there is nothing that adds aether to the universe. The aether supposedly pressurizes the universe, like air in a balloon. But if the air inside a balloon is constantly disappearing, then the balloon is deflating -- not expanding. The Wicker Man seems to recognize this in his claims that gravity will weaken over time (as the quantify of aether decreases), leading the universe to "dissolve" (presumably because gravity is too weak to force atoms into molecules.) But, if the balloon is getting bigger at an accelerating rate, how can the steadily disappearing aether pressurize anything?

It's an non-sensible mess of assertions that in no way explains how the universe works.

But it does appear to explain what is most important to The Wicker Man: the use of the word "aether" twice in the Bible. It also let's him prophecy about how the world will end -- it dissolves. Keep in mind, however, that the bit about dissolving does not appear in Revelations or any end-times prophecy. It appears in a song sung by a Jew hundreds of years before anyone had ever heard of Jesus Christ, Christianity, and the Christian Book of Revelations. Splicing unrelated stuff together. Sounds about right.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Imwashingmypirate
God

Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 9:03 pm
The Wicker Man wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 7:39 pm
Everything is derived from the model. There are just a few parts to the model.

These are the components of the model.
1) There is aether
2) There is matter

These are the states of each component of the model.
1) Aether pressurizes the universe
2) Matter is being held together

These are the interactions between the components of the model
1) Aether at the center of a particle of matter ceases to exist
2) A low pressure area is brought about when aether ceases to exist
3) Surrounding aether then rushes in and the process is continuous
4) When aether rushes through and into matter it transfers a momentum impulse to matter

These are the effects of the interaction between the components of the model
1) Gravity as a pushing force
2) Aether spiraling into an atom of matter creating an "electron cloud"
3) When the aether spirals further in it supplies the strong nuclear force
4) The aether also form vortex that interlock to supply weak nuclear forces

These are the observable consequences of the model
1) Light as a propagation wave through the aether
2) Electricity is aether being forced down a conductor
3) Magnetism is atoms spinning in unison changing the direction of the aether
4) The big bang, enough of a pressure drop in the aether allowing the singularity to fly apart
5) Black hole, aether moving into matter faster than a propagation wave can escape
6) Halo around a star, The light from a star that is behind is bent by the moving aether when it passes the closer star
7) Ever expanding universe at an ever increasing rate, the aether is expanding always with acceleration
9) Sunspot cycle, Jupiter competing with the Sun for aether the closer they are the more unstable the Sun becomes

Predictions of the model
1) Light travels faster between the stars where the pressure is greater
2) Stars are not as far away as they seem
3) The rate of radioactive decay in unstable isotopes will increase over time
4) Other isotopes will become unstable
5) Stars will change from fusion to fission at some point
6) A long ice age will occur when a star changes from fusion to fission
7) Gravity will weaken
8) When gravity weakens far enough the universe will dissolve

In other words this model explains everything. And when something new is observed this model never requires modification.

I first proposed this model in 1969 when I was 12 years old.
Now that we get to see The Wicker Man's model in all its glory, we show that Physics Guy accurately described the model upthread:
Physics Guy wrote:I'm afraid that the biggest problem with amateur physics theories like this thing about annihilating aether is not even that they are wrong. It's that these theories are formed under the misconception that providing a nice mental picture for something is an important achievement.

Thinking that mental images are scientific insights is like thinking that rocket science is about doodling little pointy shapes with fire coming out the back. You might well use such a doodle to try to convey what a rocket is, to someone who has no idea, but actual rockets are not little sketches. In the same way, popular science explanations of General Relativity often tell you that space is stretchy like pizza dough, or something like that. That's not a bad crude indication of what the theory is about, kind of at the level of the rocket doodle, but it is not the theory itself, any more than the sketch is a rocket. If you want to know what General Relativity actually is, you have to learn to understand Einstein's equation for the metric tensor of spacetime. That's the actual rocket.
What The Wicker Man created is a mental picture, although i think "nice" would be generous. It most certainly is not a model.

He never defines "aether" but simply asserts it exists. It is the equivalent asserting that "magic" creates gravity.

The model is based loosely on the wind. The aether flows from high to low pressure, just like air does in the earth's atmosphere. But it ignores the reasons why the atmosphere behaves this way: the sun and the earth's rotation. That's one of the typical errors made by amateur physicists -- they draw an analogy to a completely different physical system and design a model around the mental picture of how it operates.

The Wicker Man is at least aware that he needed some kind of explanation of high and low pressure systems in the aether, so he simply asserts that aether is "annihilated" when it reaches the center of a particle. He never explains why this annihilation happens or how the aether reaches the center of particle.

Every piece of the "model" is the same thing: a straight up assertion with no explanation that explains how the model actually works. There is no explanation of why the aether starts spinning when close to an atom but not in the vicinity of a rotating planet. There is no explanation of how a spinning atom can cause the aether to spin without loss of the atom's angular momentum.

Although he asserts otherwise, the "model" cannot explain the expansion of the universe at an accelerating rate. In the model, the aether is constantly being annihilated, but there is nothing that adds aether to the universe. The aether supposedly pressurizes the universe, like air in a balloon. But if the air inside a balloon is constantly disappearing, then the balloon is deflating -- not expanding. The Wicker Man seems to recognize this in his claims that gravity will weaken over time (as the quantify of aether decreases), leading the universe to "dissolve" (presumably because gravity is too weak to force atoms into molecules.) But, if the balloon is getting bigger at an accelerating rate, how can the steadily disappearing aether pressurize anything?

It's an non-sensible mess of assertions that in no way explains how the universe works.

But it does appear to explain what is most important to The Wicker Man: the use of the word "aether" twice in the Bible. It also lets him prophecy about how the world will end -- it dissolves. Keep in mind, however, that the bit about dissolving does not appear in Revelations or any end-times prophecy. It appears in a song sung by a Jew hundreds of years before anyone had ever heard of Jesus Christ, Christianity, and the Christian Book of Revelations. Splicing unrelated stuff together. Sounds about right.
You've actually made The Wicker Man’s post make more sense lol.

So I just need to say, The Wicker Man uses the word ether. Not aether. There is a post about it on slogbog where I used the same word and then say that I'm using the word aether because he did and I'd usually use ether and he said he also uses ether and was using the word aether because valo used it and valo said he used it because someone else used it. Was a funny moment. We all use, "ether".

Definitely think I fit in the stretchy space category lol. But to me it's the wavelength of light that is stretching.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

IWP wrote:You off?
You can't blame him. Poor guy came here asking about gravity and everyone just talked physics.
Imwashingmypirate
God

Gadianton wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 11:11 pm
IWP wrote:You off?
You can't blame him. Poor guy came here asking about gravity and everyone just talked physics.
Lol. I think his game was finished. 'Twas an interesting discussion.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

There is a charming quality to childhood science theories. I remember in grade school a friend and I thought we would try and make a rocket. That was long enough ago the possibility of satellites was new. We purchased sheet metal for a body and started plans for an engine. My friend ,a year older than I and having an enthusiasm for chemistry , had a plan for the engine and drew it carefully out. We found that our fabrication abilities with sheet metal were inadequate so the body and engine never got built. Becoming more mature my friends interests led him to become a chemical engineer. He started work far away and we lost touch. I do not know what his career found.

It was quite a few years later when the movie Back to the Future came out. It is fun but I was impressed by the realization that the flux capacitor that enabled the time travel was the design my friend created for our grade school rocket. Perhaps he will suddenly come from the future and stop at my house to say hi.
Valo
Teacher

Post by Valo »

Last edited by Valo on Fri May 17, 2024 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

What is the significance of Valo posting that link a few minutes after I had just watched a clip of that interview?
Valo
Teacher

Post by Valo »

Valo
Teacher

Post by Valo »

Valo wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 2:24 am
Gravity Wizards