Vaccines and Therapeutics 2.0 & 3.0 Merge

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Re: Vaccines and Therapeutics 2.0 & 3.0 Merge

Post by Binger »

Marcus wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:09 am
canpakes wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:43 am

There’s no sense in explaining to Binger what even children know. He doesn’t know why he’s angry about vaccination.
He's angryabout everything m. Constantly.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

QED.
Binger
God

Post by Binger »

Marcus wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:18 am
QED.
Sometimes, when we think of vaccines and therapeutics it makes us sad.

Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

We were just handed a particularly difficult project to accommodate a mother who tested positive when she came in for her delivery and now has a baby in NICU. It is going to be one hell of process for the nurses to work with the mom and the baby. We have a great crew in that NICU, but this is going to be exhausting.
Hopefully the mother does the right thing and tells you NICU is a death camp, flips you the bird, and tells you your efforts have failed, which they have, since you cannot assure her or her baby a 100% chance of recovery.
Binger
God

Post by Binger »

Gadianton wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:11 pm
We were just handed a particularly difficult project to accommodate a mother who tested positive when she came in for her delivery and now has a baby in NICU. It is going to be one hell of process for the nurses to work with the mom and the baby. We have a great crew in that NICU, but this is going to be exhausting.
Hopefully the mother does the right thing and tells you NICU is a death camp, flips you the bird, and tells you your efforts have failed, which they have, since you cannot assure her or her baby a 100% chance of recovery.
I am fairly certain that if I had posted the same comment, it would be moved to prison.

I am also fairly certain that I have seen families cry and thank us for making it possible for the family members to be together in some damn difficult circumstances of this pandemic. Your hatred never seems to amaze.

Even though the vaccines are not effective in preventing transmission of the virus, even among vaccinated people, we still have people for whom we provide care. We do not do it with animosity or shame. You should try it sometime. Hopefully, your stupid hateful sh*t is limited to this forum.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Binger wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:29 pm
Even though the vaccines are not effective in preventing transmission of the virus, even among vaccinated people, we still have people for whom we provide care.

Fortunately, the number of folks requiring that kind of care is greatly reduced by the vaccines.

Not that you will admit that, or can explain why you are angry about vaccination.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

msnobody wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:01 am
Can I just say that it sucks being a nurse during this pandemic. The workload is just not sustainable. I'm not going to jump on my soapbox, however. :P
Yes, and thank you for hanging in there. :) :) :) :) :) :)
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Binger
God

Post by Binger »

canpakes wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:43 pm
Binger wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:29 pm
Even though the vaccines are not effective in preventing transmission of the virus, even among vaccinated people, we still have people for whom we provide care.

Fortunately, the number of folks requiring that kind of care is greatly reduced by the vaccines.

Not that you will admit that, or can explain why you are angry about vaccination.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:07 am
I don't know what planet we're on now. No, this isn't a Florida is crazy story. It's about the FDA.

Florida shuts down all monoclonal antibody treatment sites after FDA decision to limit use of certain treatments not proven effective against Omicron
By Chris Boyette, CNN

Updated 3:25 AM ET, Tue January 25, 2022

Excerpt:

Earlier Monday, the FDA said it was revising the authorizations for monoclonal antibody treatments made by Eli Lilly (bamlanivimab and etesevimab, administered together) and Regeneron (REGEN-COV, or casirivimab and imdevimab), because data showed they are "highly unlikely to be active against the omicron variant."

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/25/us/flori ... index.html

WHAT? :o :o :o :o :o :o

Is this why one of our local hospitals is now out of supplies for the monoclonal antibody treatment??? Because the stuff doesn't work??? What exactly are we supposed to do now???

(No I didn't look up the various kinds of antibody treatment. Writing this at 2 a.m. I'll check on it tomorrow which is actually today.)
This shouldn't come as a surprise. There's been lots of evidence that the Regeneron and Lilly monoclonal antibody treatments don't work well, if at all, against Omicron. https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-03829-0
https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/coro ... to-studies
https://thehill.com/changing-america/we ... ks-against

It doesn't sound like the Eli Lilly and Regeneron treatments have been standard of care for Omicron for weeks now. Unless you live in Florida.

Your best defense against a severe Omicron infection is to get vaxxed and boosted (which you are), wash your hands, wear a mask when around others (even outdoors), and avoid gathering in crowded indoor settings. Meanwhile, there are a number of therapeutics around the corner that may be effective against Omicron and whatever comes next.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Binger
God

Post by Binger »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:09 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:07 am
I don't know what planet we're on now. No, this isn't a Florida is crazy story. It's about the FDA.

Florida shuts down all monoclonal antibody treatment sites after FDA decision to limit use of certain treatments not proven effective against Omicron
By Chris Boyette, CNN

Updated 3:25 AM ET, Tue January 25, 2022

Excerpt:

Earlier Monday, the FDA said it was revising the authorizations for monoclonal antibody treatments made by Eli Lilly (bamlanivimab and etesevimab, administered together) and Regeneron (REGEN-COV, or casirivimab and imdevimab), because data showed they are "highly unlikely to be active against the omicron variant."

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/25/us/flori ... index.html

WHAT? :o :o :o :o :o :o

Is this why one of our local hospitals is now out of supplies for the monoclonal antibody treatment??? Because the stuff doesn't work??? What exactly are we supposed to do now???

(No I didn't look up the various kinds of antibody treatment. Writing this at 2 a.m. I'll check on it tomorrow which is actually today.)
This shouldn't come as a surprise. There's been lots of evidence that the Regeneron and Lilly monoclonal antibody treatments don't work well, if at all, against Omicron. https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-03829-0
https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/coro ... to-studies
https://thehill.com/changing-america/we ... ks-against

It doesn't sound like the Eli Lilly and Regeneron treatments have been standard of care for Omicron for weeks now. Unless you live in Florida.

Your best defense against a severe Omicron infection is to get vaxxed and boosted (which you are), wash your hands, wear a mask when around others (even outdoors), and avoid gathering in crowded indoor settings. Meanwhile, there are a number of therapeutics around the corner that may be effective against Omicron and whatever comes next.
Which mask should we wear to protect against Omicron?