do I understand the definition of a woman?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Markk
1st Quorum of 70

Re: do I understand the definition of a woman?

Post by Markk »

Morley wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 8:24 pm
Markk wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 8:11 pm

It shows that in terms of biology, the definition of the word woman, is a female human being. Not a thing, like a subjected piece of art. That was my point.
This is not biology. This is someone putting a website together using some sometimes archaic definitions, as Marcus has shown.
I little more than just people…are you going to attack these folks on identity now, especially the women?

https://www.biologyonline.com/about-us

Websters current dictionary and legal dictionary’s all us the same definition…”an adult female” is a woman. Yet your definition of a woman that the term woman is just a subjective term like “art. ” Which show how misogynistic you are. Does a male that chooses to identify as a woman have the right to choose to have an abortion, even though it is impossible for them to get pregnant through natural means? No, the term “women have a right to choose” is exclusive to a biological female.

What do you think of this article? Should it be re-written to include men that identify as women, and we can pretend women's heath affects them equally? point being all you are trying to do is re-write history Morley.
Markk
1st Quorum of 70

Post by Markk »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 11:39 pm
Markk wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 5:06 am
I am a carpenter not a rare disease guru, if I am wrong here please correct me.
People with this condition are genetically male, with one X chromosome and one Y chromosome...Complete androgen insensitivity syndrome occurs when the body cannot use androgens at all. People with this form of the condition have the external sex characteristics of females, but do not have a uterus and therefore do not menstruate and are unable to conceive a child (infertile). They are typically raised as females and have a female gender identity. Affected individuals have male internal sex organs (testes) that are undescended, which means they are abnormally located in the pelvis or abdomen.
https://medlineplus.gov/genetics/condit ... -syndrome/

Explain it.
Markk wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 5:06 am
tell me what a rare disease that affects the natural growth of the of male genitalia, has to do anything with the definition of a woman.
I don't know, you tell me. What is a woman?
I have…did you read what I wrote…it is when a male infant is deprived of certain hormones and their genitalia does not “grow” and mature. It is that simple.

A woman is a adult female
Markk
1st Quorum of 70

Post by Markk »

honorentheos wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 10:01 pm
Morley wrote:

This is not biology. This is someone putting a website together using some sometimes archaic definitions, as Marcus has shown.
It says, "Biology Online" and confirms what Markk already thinks by combining a sociological concept that is defined by the norms of cultures in differing ways with a marginally biological idea of it referring to mature females. But most importantly, it is idealized so as to define "womanhood" in a prescriptive manner that gets back to how things really ought to be. So of course it is authoritative. ;)
Past and current dictionary’s, current legal dictionary’s, the biology dictionary all read the same Honor. Yet your source that history has been wrong all these years is what?
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Markk wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 11:51 pm
I have…did you read what I wrote…it is when a male infant is deprived of certain hormones and their genitalia does not “grow” and mature. It is that simple.

A woman is a adult female
Jesus Christ! You are the one who isn't reading anything.

"People with this form of the condition have the external sex characteristics of females"

What is an adult female?
Last edited by doubtingthomas on Sat May 07, 2022 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Markk wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 11:51 pm
I have…did you read what I wrote…it is when a male infant is deprived of certain hormones and their genitalia does not “grow”

"As a result, they generally have normal female external genitalia and female breasts"
https://rarediseases.information.nih.gov/disea ... y-syndrome
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

Morley wrote:

Markk wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 11:48 pm
I little more than just people…are you going to attack these folks on identity now, especially the women?

https://www.biologyonline.com/about-us
I'm not sure what this sentence means.

Saying that this is not mainstream biology is not attacking anyone. Ha! 'Especially the women.' But you already know that.

By the way, you didn't answer my question. Was the whole definition of woman on this site the one you want to go with? Or are you just selecting one or two phrases and junking the rest?

Markk wrote:
Websters current dictionary and legal dictionary’s all us the same definition…”an adult female” is a woman.
Sure.
Markk wrote:
Yet your definition of a woman that the term woman is just a subjective term like “art. ”
I didn't define the term woman. I said the way we use the word woman is culturally constructed and is open to interpretation. Like the the way we use the word art is culturally constructed. To talk about how we use language doesn't mean I'm objectifying (or 'subjectifying') women.

Again, in fewer words: I'm not comparing women to art. I'm comparing the way we use language.
Markk wrote:
Which show how misogynistic you are.
Ha! Okay.
Markk wrote:
Does a male that chooses to identify as a woman have the right to choose to have an abortion, even though it is impossible for them to get pregnant through natural means?

I would say that a male who identifies as a woman should be allowed to have all the abortions they want. What do you think?
Markk wrote:
No, the term “women have a right to choose” is exclusive to a biological female.
Yeah, it probably is. But I don't know that this has anything to do with what we've been talking about.
Last edited by Morley on Sat May 07, 2022 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Themis
Elder

Post by Themis »

Kevin posted a couple of very informative quotes from people who really know what they are talking. I noticed Markk has not engaged them. I suspect he probably did not read them. At a certain point I lose interest in people who seem so determined to be ignorant.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Markk wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 11:54 pm
honorentheos wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 10:01 pm

It says, "Biology Online" and confirms what Markk already thinks by combining a sociological concept that is defined by the norms of cultures in differing ways with a marginally biological idea of it referring to mature females. But most importantly, it is idealized so as to define "womanhood" in a prescriptive manner that gets back to how things really ought to be. So of course it is authoritative. ;)
Past and current dictionary’s, current legal dictionary’s, the biology dictionary all read the same Honor. Yet your source that history has been wrong all these years is what?
http://www.personal.psu.edu/bfr3/blogs/ ... ender.html

Gender is socially constructed and a result of sociocultural influences throughout an individual's development (Schneider, Gruman & Coutts, 2005). Gender identity can be affected by, and is different from one society to another depending on the way the members of society evaluate the role of females and males. Our gender identity can be influenced from the ethnicity of the group, their historical and cultural background, family values and religion. Often people confuse or misuse the terms gender and sex. The term sex refers to the biological distinction of being male and female (Schneider, Gruman & Coutts, 2005). To make the distinction clearer one could consider that we inherit the sex but we learn our gender (Boss, 2008).

The idea of social construction of gender sees society, not biological sex differences, as the basis for gender identity (Anderson, Logio & Taylor, 2005). There are many different processes by which the expectations associated with being a boy or a girl is passed on through society. For instance one could see this from the moment a child comes into the world and from the fact that he/she has to face a "blue" or "pink" reality. I recently attended a baby shower party and I was shocked first by the amount of items a baby needs and even more about the color choice of each item. Everything was pink, as a baby girl was expected, and honestly I never imaged how many different shades of pink actually exist for products such as baby clothes. The house decoration was pink, people were wearing pink or pastel colors, all the gift wrappers pink as well as the gifts themselves. My gift was one of the few items of a different color, as I chose yellow and light purple items, which was actually a challenging task to find as most of the items in the store I shopped were blue or pink. The social construction of gender could be further been seen by the way parents behave to their children, by their expectations about how their children should behave and act, and by the toys they buy for them. For example girls are supposed to play with dolls and be sweet and emotional and boys are supposed to play with action figures and be aggressive and rational. Therefore clothes, toys, and even the language used with young children follow the trend of stereotyping gender. Children learn by modeling and the messages they receive and act accordingly. An example similar to the dress code we having for children can also be seen with adults, particularly in the colors, fabrics and designs specific to each gender. Another example is the situation of a female working in the business field that is expected to dress in masculine way in order to be considered successful and to be taken more seriously. This could demonstrate again how social influences affect gender expectations and shape behaviors and norm regarding gender.

Odds you read all that? Pretty low. Probability you comprehend what it says? Well, maybe you'll surprise me. I doubt it, though.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Jersey Girl wrote:A woman is an adult female
I think Socrates would like this definition. "Female" is a necessary condition, but young girls are female also, and so it's not sufficient; so also for "adult" by itself.

But imagine if Justice Brown responded with this answer to the Senators who asked the question in the same spirit as the Pharisees when trying to trick Jesus. It would just continue the discussion down a pointless rabbit hole.

And so, this definition doesn't tell us anything to help resolve a culture war, but this is the first pass definition. Thank you, Jersey Girl.

I figured any right-winger trying to answer would fall into circular reasoning, as did Markk. Why is this so inevitable? It's not because Markk is dumb, It's psychological, anytime deeply held beliefs are at stake, people tend to express themselves in redundancies. "A woman is a woman, for God's sake!!"

My favorite example was pointed out to me by one of these literary types, it's from Aldous Huxlely's book Chrome Yellow.
“Look at them, sir,” he said, with a motion of his hand towards the wallowing swine. “Rightly is they called pigs.” “Rightly indeed,” Mr. Wimbush agreed.
This is the way deeply ideological people speak when interacting with each other. You can just picture two right-wing Trumpers* in a cross-eyed twang-up, agreeing with each other that a woman is a woman is a female and ain't no man. Similarly, imagine in Irkutsk, day laborers filled with state TV talking about Ukrainians with circular invective.

Mom's apple pie and the simple church-going life of one's youth feels so natural to those who grew up exactly that way, and people who share values and experiences can communicate with words that mean very little, but are something like a code that identifies in-group members to each other. The way you bear your testimony in redundancies will identify you as a long-time or life member whereas converts are easy to pick out.

*see how easy it is to do.
K Graham
God

Post by K Graham »

Themis wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 1:10 am
Kevin posted a couple of very informative quotes from people who really know what they are talking. I noticed Markk has not engaged them. I suspect he probably did not read them. At a certain point I lose interest in people who seem so determined to be ignorant.
Pretty much on point here. I come back hours later expecting some kind of acknowledgment at least of what I posted, but Markk can't respond so he's going to just double down on blissful ignorance as always.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal" - Ajax18