New 300 trailer

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Re: Bond

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

Notoriuswun wrote:
I watched a 3 hour doc on this on Discovery yesterday...several prominent PhD's actually presented pretty clear evidence that if not for the Battle of Thermo, there is a good chance there would be no democracy today. There are many reasons for this...first and foremost is the decline of the city state, and the rise of the nation state in Greece after said events. Democracy was also borne in Ancient Greece (ie Plato, Aristotle, etc), and would have probably been wiped out like Nazism had the Persians beat them.

The battle of Thermopylae was an important part of the saving of democratic ideals. Sadly Nazism ideas still exists because of the written word.

Also, most put the Persian deaths more around (minimally) 500,000 - 1,000,000.

I doubt that this number of deaths occurred. The largest defeats in ancient military history (such as the Roman battles Cannae, Arausio etc) only got up into the 80-90,000 death range. The Gallic battles with Marius and Caesar and such may have extended into the 100-125,000 range). I really doubt the death rate is as high as 500,000. Death rates on the scale of 500,000 weren't seen in actual battle form until World War I.

Also, during the last 2-3 days, most of the army left in small increments. The army was outflanked, and so they knew they would eventually be defeated. After most of the fighting force was gone, the 300 stayed with about 1,000 other soldiers and killed many Persians for a day or two before being killed.

Yep, the Greeks knew they couldn't holdout forever, so Leonidas sent as many troops away to fight another day while the Spartans and the Thespians laid another whooping on the Persians. It was actually a Greek sheperd who betrayed the Spartans and showed the Persians the mountain pass that allowed them to flank the Spartans.
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

Well I went and saw the movie, and parts of it were really great. I could have done without the gratuitous sex scene between Leonidas and his wife (which wasn't in the book to my memory). But the movie was visually great, and inspireing. I love the story of the Spartans and their stand against the Persians.

On a side note, it was interesting to hear a Greek King speaking like Sean Connery.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato