Gas prices

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.

Gas Price Increases...

Total votes: 0

_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Post by _Who Knows »

Bond...James Bond wrote:
CaliforniaKid wrote:It's called Brita, my friend. Look into it.

Yeah. I refill the same water bottle with free purified water at my job. I drink probably 4 bottles a shift....really cleans out the system.

My poor attempt at humor didn't work, i guess.

I was making fun of those who think $4 for a gallon of gas is expensive, but at the same time spend a buck on 20oz of -free- water (which means they're paying more for water than they are for gas).
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
Will Schryver: "No, he didn’t." 3/19/08
Still waiting for Will to back this up...
_Imwashingmypirate
_Emeritus

Post by _Imwashingmypirate »

a pint of coke is almost the same as a litre of petrol here. I got it who knows.
Just punched myself on the face...
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

ludwigm wrote:In Switzerland, during WWII : "This war is terrible! There are weeks when we couldn't buy lemon!"

Is one dollar per litre a big price? In Europe, the average is about 1.8$/lit, for years. ( this is about 8$ if I count it in the stupid gallon - hehe ). In Hungary, we are working as hard as anybody in the other parts of the world, and our average incoming is 1/5 - 1/6 of West Europe or USA.
On the basis of these numbers, WE should whine.

Europe gas prices are crazy. From what I've heard gas prices are as high as 8$ a gallon in places like the Netherlands and Norway.
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Seems like Grand Theft Auto at the gas pumps.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

An update: two months ago they were 3.75, as of last night they were 4.32 going into 4th of July. I basically do nothing except drive to work and drive home. How can you have a social life when it costs so goddamn much?
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_ludwigm
_Emeritus

Post by _ludwigm »

My wife and me are pensioners. She pays full tithe.
Three years before, to visit one of our daughter's family was exactly the tithe sum (I think about only the gas for 2*170 km).
Since then, the sums we earn have increased by 5% a year, the gas price by 20%. NOW it is 2.05 $/litre. (9.36 $/gal).

You can compute the rates in living.
- Whenever a poet or preacher, chief or wizard spouts gibberish, the human race spends centuries deciphering the message. - Umberto Eco
- To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin. - Cardinal Bellarmine at the trial of Galilei
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Bond...James Bond wrote:An update: two months ago they were 3.75, as of last night they were 4.32 going into 4th of July. I basically do nothing except drive to work and drive home. How can you have a social life when it costs so goddamn much?

I'm afraid that you're too right, Bond. In winter, we combine trips due to weather conditions. Now we're doing it on account of fuel costs. It's a difficult time to say the least.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Cost of gas in New Jersey: Approx. $4.00 per gallon.

I would expect gas prices there to remain somewhat moderate compared to other parts of the US.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_msnobody
_Emeritus

Post by _msnobody »

Gas is anywhere from $3.83-$3.93 per gallon depending upon where you shop here in a galaxy far, far away.

I've begun to notice businesses closing as well.
_JAK
_Emeritus

Post by _JAK »

It has been observed that all transfer of wealth is theft. Perhaps, but it’s business in a global economy. In the past two years, rising oil prices have been of benefit. As example, holdings in Fidelity Select Energy Services (FSESX) make it a pleasure to pay more and more for gas at the pump. It has been an excellent investment. Fidelity Select Energy (FSENX) has been nearly as good.

While I didn’t vote in the poll, the “effect” has been most positive. One could have done as well with Exxon Mobil (XOM) or some other oil industry stock, but the mutual funds give the greatest protection in the industry as investment. The performance of oil related stocks and the enormous use of oil in the Iraq War has been most beneficial to investors.

Is it enough to more than double profits in two years, or is it time to take some money off the table (sell some stock)?

Current President Bush has been a wonderful asset with Dick Cheney (formerly of Halliburton) to big business. Without a doubt, oil is big business.