White privilege is a myth

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Some Schmo
God

Re: White privilege is a myth

Post by Some Schmo »

canpakes wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:07 pm
Some Schmo wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:56 pm
It's pretty obvious why certain white people deny white privilege (aside from their enthusiastic racism). They suck at life.
I can’t say much for their argument, which boils down to, “those people’s concerns don’t exist for them if I think they shouldn’t be a concern”.

I couldn’t ask for a better real-time demonstration of privilege, lol.
Yeah, stupidity, denial and belligerence are certainly main ingredients in their recipe.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Some Schmo wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:56 pm
It's pretty obvious why certain white people deny white privilege (aside from their enthusiastic racism). They suck at life. It makes it much harder to blame the world for their incompetence if they acknowledge their advantages. It also makes for harder to think any success they've had was all because of their innate talent, and not systemic advantages.

In other words, they're whiny, self-deluded little bitches.
I read, many years ago, that one of the reasons why those white South Africans who were poor (not many) were still enthusiastic supporters of apartheid (despite the fact that they got little if any material benefits from the system, since they had neither land nor servants) was that they could look at the way black people were made to live and say with a sigh "Ach, men! Our life is hard, but at least we aren't kaffirs. We are a higher race."
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:08 pm

Very simple. STOP TREATING BLACK PEOPLE DIFFERENTLY THAN OTHER AMERICANS. They're are not victims!! They don't need you, the white man to hold their hand to make it through life. You're not seeing the big picture here!! 70 years ago we destroyed the Germans,......!
Here's my point. America is one of the least racist countries in the world!! One of the main reasons black Americans are having such a hard time succeeding in America is there's one party who can't let the past go because if they do they will lose votes.
This is a real puzzle to me. I have heard this idea before. It has a bit of popularity developed but I do not understand it.
You see as a democrat I am unaware of holding any black peoples hand. I certainly do not think they are weak and in need my hand holding. I do not see the democratic party doing any hand holding either. I admire Black success. I admire Black people excelling. I admire them finding ways to get along and survive which they have been doing a long time now. I am sure that black Americans will continue to do these things.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

huckelberry wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:04 pm
This is a real puzzle to me. I have heard this idea before. It has a bit of popularity developed but I do not understand it.
You see as a democrat I am unaware of holding any black peoples hand. I certainly do not think they are weak and in need my hand holding. I do not see the democratic party doing any hand holding either. I admire Black success. I admire Black people excelling. I admire them finding ways to get along and survive which they have been doing a long time now. I am sure that black Americans will continue to do these things.
His argument is disingenuous specifically for the reasons you point out. It’s also - ironically - a bit racist, to assume that black folks or other POC are bound by their nature or political affiliation to both desire and require handouts.

Meanwhile, the same folks making that bogus argument are very happy to - as example - take their own ‘handouts’ in the form of mortgage interest deductions, child tax credits, S-corp rate advantages + loopholes, etc. . . .
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

huckelberry wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:04 pm
Atlanticmike wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:08 pm

Very simple. STOP TREATING BLACK PEOPLE DIFFERENTLY THAN OTHER AMERICANS. They're are not victims!! They don't need you, the white man to hold their hand to make it through life. You're not seeing the big picture here!! 70 years ago we destroyed the Germans,......!
Here's my point. America is one of the least racist countries in the world!! One of the main reasons black Americans are having such a hard time succeeding in America is there's one party who can't let the past go because if they do they will lose votes.
Huckelberry, I would like to talk to you about this subject. But could you answer a question for me first please. I don't know if you have watched them, but I have posted a few videos of Nigerian and Ghanaian Americans coming here and taking advantage of what America offers someone who is willing to work for what they want to achieve. It doesn't take them 10 generations to find success in America. Usually one generation and almost always within two. Here's my question. Why can black Africans come to America and achieve so much success that their median household income is higher than white Americans??
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:52 am
Huckelberry, I would like to talk to you about this subject. But could you answer a question for me first please. I don't know if you have watched them, but I have posted a few videos of Nigerian and Ghanaian Americans coming here and taking advantage of what America offers someone who is willing to work for what they want to achieve. It doesn't take them 10 generations to find success in America. Usually one generation and almost always within two. Here's my question. Why can black Africans come to America and achieve so much success that their median household income is higher than white Americans??
Here’s part of your answer.

https://africacheck.org/fact-checks/spo ... c-group-us
“The most successful ethnic group in the US may surprise you”, the headline of a 7 June 2018 article in online magazine Ozy teased.

The revelation? It’s Nigerian-Americans.

To support this, the US-headquartered publication noted: “Today, 29% of Nigerian-Americans over the age of 25 hold a graduate degree, compared to 11% of the overall U.S. population.”

Nigerian-Americans, the article added, were one of America’s “most successful immigrant communities, with a median household income of $62,351, compared to $57,617 nationally, as of 2015”.

In March 2018, Africa Check found a claim that Nigerians are the most educated immigrants in the US to be incorrect. This was because in the cited data source - the US census bureau - at least seven other countries had more people holding a bachelor’s degree or higher.

In a tweet, Ozy’s journalist told Africa Check said the data she used was from the Migration Policy Institute, a Washington DC-based think-tank.

A June 2015 report by the think-tank found that 29% of the Nigerian diaspora - defined as Nigerian immigrants and their children - older than 25 held a master’s degree, PhD or an advanced professional degree compared to 11% of the US population overall. This was based on analysis of US census bureau data for 2009 to 2013.

The think-tank’s communications director, Michelle Mittelstadt, confirmed that they had studied 15 US diaspora populations, including Nigeria. These had not been ranked, but comparing the profiles show that India’s graduate degree attainment (at 44%) was the highest, followed by Nigeria.

“As part of a research project on diasporas, we selected certain countries but did not purport to select the 15 largest or 15 most accomplished or 15 most anything. It was a deliberate mix based on populations and geographies of interest, as well as our own research interests,” she said.

10 countries with higher graduate degree attainment

The most recent information on educational attainment of immigrant groups is from 2016, the US census bureau told Africa Check.

There are two ways to consider the question - by place of birth or by ancestry, chief of the foreign-born population branch at the data agency, Matthew Spence, said.

In the first category, Africa Check counted at least 10 other countries with higher graduate degree attainment than Nigeria. India-born immigrants were in first place.

For the second category, Nigeria was outranked by those claiming Iranian, Bulgarian and Russian ancestry. And when median household incomes for 2016 are considered, nearly 30 other countries were ahead of Nigeria (US$62,351).
And this -
The comparison between immigrants and native-born Americans in education isn’t entirely fair, says Jeanne Batalova, a senior policy analyst at the Migration Policy Institute and co-author of the report. Many foreign immigrants leave their country for the U.S. already possessing skills and an education base that give them an academic edge in their new home.
Regardless of the success of Nigerians as a very particular subgroup, their success doesn’t make ‘privilege’ impossible to exist.
Last edited by canpakes on Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Why can black Africans come to America and achieve so much success that their median household income is higher than white Americans??
Hmm. That's a difficult question.

Maybe it's because long-time black Americans have been used to being coddled every inch of the way, ever since white people conferred on their ancestors the immense benefits of free tickets to the Land of Opportunity? And then after they arrived they were looked after by the whites for a century or more, and fed, clothed and lodged free of charge so that they didn't even need to go out and get paid jobs! In many cases they didn't need to go to the hassle of setting up stable families, and in any case they did not have to put up with burdensome permanent relationships because there were often interesting changes to the places they lived as more kind white people were even willing to pay substantial fees for the privilege of looking after their every need. It must have been a great life!

Now all they do is to whine about how good it was in the old days, and demand that the white people continue to bear the burden of looking after them. They deliberately choose to huddle together in the worst parts of town where public education is simply useless and the schools are underfunded, and refuse to move to nice suburbs where their kids could have a decent start in life amongst the welcoming white people. And as for looking for high salary jobs like doctors and lawyers - most of them wouldn't even dream of trying! That's how idle they are.

That may be part of the story. Anyway, it's all their fault, however it happened.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Chap wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:02 pm
That may be part of the story. Anyway, it's all their fault, however it happened.
Not only that, but how successfully are the locals going to compete with Nigerian immigrants, when all of the Nigerians are millionaire princes? I have their emails as proof. ; )
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

I can say that like an another post of mine, this one obviously needed me to insert warning tags. This I have now done. Again, apologies for any confusion or distress that may have been caused.
Chap wrote:
Atlanticmike wrote:
Why can black Africans come to America and achieve so much success that their median household income is higher than white Americans??
[Heavy irony Warning] Hmm. That's a difficult question.

Maybe it's because long-time black Americans have been used to being coddled every inch of the way, ever since white people conferred on their ancestors the immense benefits of free tickets to the Land of Opportunity? And then after they arrived they were looked after by the whites for a century or more, and fed, clothed and lodged free of charge so that they didn't even need to go out and get paid jobs! In many cases they didn't need to go to the hassle of setting up stable families, and in any case they did not have to put up with burdensome permanent relationships because there were often interesting changes to the places they lived as more kind white people were even willing to pay substantial fees for the privilege of looking after their every need. It must have been a great life!

Now all they do is to whine about how good it was in the old days, and demand that the white people continue to bear the burden of looking after them. They deliberately choose to huddle together in the worst parts of town where public education is simply useless and the schools are underfunded, and refuse to move to nice suburbs where their kids could have a decent start in life amongst the welcoming white people. And as for looking for high salary jobs like doctors and lawyers - most of them wouldn't even dream of trying! That's how idle they are.

[/Heavy irony Warning]
Maksutov:
Mayan Elephant:
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

canpakes wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:03 pm
Chap wrote:
Not only that, but how successfully are the locals going to compete with Nigerian immigrants, when all of the Nigerians are millionaire princes? I have their emails as proof. ; )
Of course, the serious version of that point is that the Nigerians who make it into the US are on the whole not the poor of the Lagos slums. Given US immigration requirements they will represent members of relatively prosperous middle class families who have been able to afford to give them a good education (and some African universities are pretty good nowadays). What is more, they will come from African families that preserve the tradition of respect for elders, and for education, as well as a sense of strong mutual support.

Those are of course the values that sustained the people who were the ancestors of current black Americans, before they were seized, driven like cattle and loaded into the holds of the slave-ships that brought them to America. Once they were unloaded, the situation was sadly not so 'family-friendly' as one might have liked.
Maksutov:
Mayan Elephant: