Bummer Summer Jobs Disaster

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
canpakes
God

Re: Bummer Summer Jobs Disaster

Post by canpakes »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:54 pm
canpakes wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:29 pm

How much of that proposed money has gone anywhere yet, anyway?
Of the $3.5 trillion? Exactly 0.
Yep.

Ajax should no longer be confused about why this ‘spending’ hasn’t affected unemployment numbers or job growth, yet. I wonder how many days this week will pass before he asks again why it hasn’t juiced the figures.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Economics is known as the dismal science, so it’s the perfect thing for our resident Eeyore to use for throwing out factoids of gloom and doom. ;)
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Here’s a pretty good article on what’s happening in the U.S. job market. https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... 9bb7b3b8ba It is paywalled. The gist:

At heart, there is a massive reallocation underway in the economy that’s triggering a “Great Reassessment” of work in America from both the employer and employee perspectives. Workers are shifting where they want to work — and how. For some, this is a personal choice. The pandemic and all of the anxieties, lockdowns and time at home have changed people. Some want to work remotely forever. Others want to spend more time with family. And others want a more flexible or more meaningful career path. It’s the “you only live once” mentality on steroids. Meanwhile, companies are beefing up automation and redoing entire supply chains and office setups.
he/him

ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

It turns out that if you pay people not to work, they'll find other ways to spend their time and energy especially when working full time only increases their income by 20% at most. Who would have ever guessed that would happen? Nor will employers be able to compete with welfare, hence fewer and fewer jobs with lower and lower labor participation. And it wins elections every time.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

ajax18 wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:50 pm
It turns out that if you pay people not to work, they'll find other ways to spend their time and energy especially when working full time only increases their income by 20% at most. Who would have ever guessed that would happen? Nor will employers be able to compete with welfare, hence fewer and fewer jobs with lower and lower labor participation. And it wins elections every time.
Yes, Eyeore. Perhaps you can explain how all the increased welfare to date magically produced such a quick recovery in the job market?
he/him

Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:56 pm
Yes, Eyeore.
omg
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

At heart, there is a massive reallocation underway in the economy that’s triggering a “Great Reassessment” of work in America from both the employer and employee perspectives. Workers are shifting where they want to work — and how. For some, this is a personal choice. The pandemic and all of the anxieties, lockdowns and time at home have changed people. Some want to work remotely forever. Others want to spend more time with family. And others want a more flexible or more meaningful career path. It’s the “you only live once” mentality on steroids. Meanwhile, companies are beefing up automation and redoing entire supply chains and office setups.
Obama's third term continues to fundamentally transform America just as Obama promised back in 2008. What was once a working economy has become a pick your check up in the mail welfare economy.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:31 pm
Here’s a pretty good article on what’s happening in the U.S. job market. https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... 9bb7b3b8ba It is paywalled. The gist:

Hrm. The quoted part paints a much rosier picture than what I think reality is:

https://www.vox.com/recode/22651953/ame ... inequality
More Americans are taking jobs without employer benefits like health care or paid vacation
An astonishing one in three US workers does gig work now.
tl;dc - Workers' share of corporate income is at the lowest point it ever has been in history. Corporate taxes have never been lower than they are today. Companies are making out like absolute bandits. I think what we’re seeing is basically trash-tier wage jobs with little to no benefits and gig work. Gig work doesn't even come with minimum wages. It doesn't come with unemployment. It doesn't come with worker's compensation. Nothing is paid into social security or medicare. There are no labor standards at all. So, basically these job numbers are pretty sus if we’re talking about a line of work you can support a family on.
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:50 am
Res Ipsa wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:31 pm

Hrm. The quoted part paints a much rosier picture than what I think reality is:

https://www.vox.com/recode/22651953/ame ... inequality
More Americans are taking jobs without employer benefits like health care or paid vacation
An astonishing one in three US workers does gig work now.
tl;dc - Workers' share of corporate income is at the lowest point it ever has been in history. Corporate taxes have never been lower than they are today. Companies are making out like absolute bandits. I think what we’re seeing is basically trash-tier wage jobs with little to no benefits and gig work. Gig work doesn't even come with minimum wages. It doesn't come with unemployment. It doesn't come with worker's compensation. Nothing is paid into social security or medicare. There are no labor standards at all. So, basically these job numbers are pretty sus if we’re talking about a line of work you can support a family on.
I think they are descriptions of the same phenomenon. It’s a little odd that people seem to be gravitating towards gig work when entry level jobs that include at least some benefits are not attracting job seekers. I think we’ll have to wait and see what things look like when the pandemic settles down before we’ll be able to understand what it all means.
he/him

Alf'Omega
2nd Counselor

Post by Alf'Omega »

ajax18 wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:04 am
Obama's third term continues to fundamentally transform America just as Obama promised back in 2008. What was once a working economy has become a pick your check up in the mail welfare economy.
You truly do live up to your reputation as the resident racist. Why is it that, for you, everything is explained with welfare? How do you explain the fact that the number of food stamp recipients plummeted during Obama's second term? And how is it you're so ignorant that you don't know that most welfare recipients also work?