In Which Res Ipsa Abandons the Illusion of Control Over What People Post In a Thread f/k/a Thinking About ...

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Thinking About Feminism

Post by Res Ipsa »

Some Schmo wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:03 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:34 pm
I think you have to consider the context before choosing a role in the conversation. A common problem that women express is the way men treat them in conversations. If I had to pick a general term, I'd say "devalue." (To avoid the whole #not all men distraction, when I mean "all men" I'll say "all men." When I describe what men or women do without the "all," I'm talking about general tendencies, not each and every person on the planet.) And one of them is they assume that they know more than women, and so they dominate the conversation and tell the women what to do. So, think for a minute about what you are presuming when you assume the role of "outside consultant." First, as shown by the level of anger and scorn you showed on thread, you are an interested party, not an outside consultant. More importantly, the message you send is that Lem or any other woman needs a male "expert consultant" in a conversation about sexism. If you take the concept of privilege seriously, then we known that you and me don't see the harm. We don't see the daily Crap women put up with just because they are women. If we're talking about reducing or avoiding harm, then an expert who is blind to the harm really isn't an expert at all.
This is overstating my perspective. My initial advice was to everyone, not just women. And I don't think it's conveying the message "I know more than you do" when you say things that remind them maybe their strategy isn't working. I never once thought to myself, "I need to educate Lem." It was more like, "How can I make what I'm trying to say more clear?" (at least at first; obviously, I gave up after a time).

"Consultant" certainly wasn't the right word, it was just the best one I could think of for what I was trying to say.
Res Ipsa wrote:To understand what I'm saying, I think you have to seriously look at how discussion of the type on the other thread work. As they typically play out, it's a game rigged against women who point out sexist speech and behavior. If we choose to portray sexism as a moral defect, then the discussion becomes all about identifying the "good guy" and the "bad guy" in the conversation. If we approach the issue by asking the question: is the man a good person, then the woman loses. Every, single, time. The man is not sexist because he's a good person (insert rationalization here), and so the woman can be dismissed as the "bad guy." I don't think it's and intentional strategy for the vast majority of men, but what they do in these kinds of discussions, just like clockwork, is frame the issue as being about whether the man is a good guy, they derail the discussion away from the harmful effect of the words themselves and what we might to avoid that. So, as soon as you weighed in as a consultant, you effective decided the end result by choosing to approach the issue as a moral one.
See, I guess I have a bit of an issue with the framing "good guy or bad guy." To me, it's more about, "Was he guilty or innocent of the charged offense?" Now, to your point, if we say, "He's guilty," then we advise him to apologize (as what happened in the thread). If we say, "No, I don't think he's guilty," then we would likely feel like the accusation was unfair. I'm not sure I see the problem with either assessment.

And of course, both things can be true at the same time. He could have said something sexist with the intention to aggravate (not because he actually feels superior to the woman and is trying to dress her down, but to defend himself when he feels he's being unfairly attacked), and it can be construed as a direct attack on the target's femininity (because the target isn't aware her chain is being yanked, and thinks she knows the source of the malicious intent in the "attacker's" heart).

The main problem I see here is that if sexist comments cause harm (which they do), then it really is a moral issue (depending, I suppose, on how you define morality - I define being morality as trying to not cause harm to other conscious beings). You said earlier, "You can choose to view the issue of sexism as a moral referendum on individuals or you can choose to view it as an opportunity to try and figure out how we can our fellow humans better. So, why choose the former rather than the latter." I'm not clear on how you tease out the latter from the former. They are related.
Could be that I'm overstating, but let's play with the idea a little further. Maybe a better way for me to draw the distinction is between focussing on "intent" and "impact." Those are two different things. I suspect we've all had an experience where our words clearly hurt someone even though we had no intent to do so. The problem we're trying to address isn't intent -- it's impact. So why do men tend to steer these conversations towards the man's intent?

In substance, I think your "guilty/innocent" distinction is just a different wording for my "good guy/bad guy" distinction. Because the focus is on the man's intent, innocent is the same as good guy and guilty is the same as bad guy.

But let me follow your own logic for a minute. You and I agree that sexist comments cause harm. I think that the question of whether we choose to value reduction of harm to others has moral implications, and I think we agree on that. But that's a different issue than treating sexism as a moral defect vs. making a statement or taking an action that has a harmful effect. The LEO that shot a man the other day said she meant to grab her taser. Whether she intended to shoot her gun or she made a mistake, the guy is still dead. Her intent is irrelevant to the harm.

If we stop treating sexism as a moral defect, we can focus on the harm and how to reduce it. If we conclude that Lem is at fault because Analytics had a justifiable motive, we haven't addressed the problem at all. In fact, we've simply reinforced the notion that it's okay to say something sexist as long as you don't subjectively hate women. Focussing on who is at fault and who "owes" whom and apology simply avoids the issue that you and I agree is important. Lem and Analytics are both adults who are fully capable of navigating interpersonal relationships.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:27 pm
[If you choose to view sexism as a moral referendum on a person's character, and you feel the need to add "balance" by defending the person's character, then what's the effect? First, the discussion never gets to the harmful effect of the words themselves. Second, because we all understand that Analytics is just like us and is trying to be a good person, approaching the issue as a moral judgment on Analytics inevitably leads to the conclusion that Analytics is not "sexist" and Lem is "overreacting."
I appreciate you trying to sum up the various thought processes. Given that I have posted here regularly for 7 years, it is incredibly hurtful that, upon reporting a sexist comment, the response by some is

"Second, because we all understand that Analytics is just like us and is trying to be a good person..."

"Us"? Will there ever be a time when the women in a group become part of the "Us"? Will this ever be the statement?

"Second, because we all understand that both LEM and Analytics are just like us and both are trying to be good people...."
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Lem wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:16 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
[The problem with remarks like "what's the point?" is that they are frequently used to convey the message "there's no point to your post." Face to face, we can read non-verbal cues to tell the difference. We don't have those on a message board. Using the phrasing from your last post, I think a fine question would have been something like: "Lem, I don't understand why you started this thread. Is the point to skewer Analytics or to talk about the pitfalls of patriarchal language?
That's an interesting question. My first response would have been to be deeply hurt that one option was "Is the point to skewer Analytics...?" Now I understand you are simply rephrasing what happened at the board, and not suggesting it as a reason yourself, but in the context of how it came up on the board, so let me answer specifically.

I was the one who was on the receiving end of a disgusting, sexist and public slur. Why would me talking about it on this board generate even the thought that I did it to "skewer" the one who made the comment? How is it even possible that the victim here would be asked, repeatedly, and with increasingly rude comments about her character: 'are you talking about this because you want to hurt the perpetrator?'

Are there any other circumstances where a person would be asked: are you commenting on this because you want to 'hurt' the perpetrator?

Think about that. Seriously, please.

He hurt me. There is absolutely no question that his comment was inappropriate. Why would a woman be guilted with such comments as 'are you reporting this because you want to hurt the perpetrator,' when it is clear the perpetrator hurt her? It boggles the mind.

A side issue might be "is the point to skewer him publicly?"

So let's consider that. This person posted his comment publicly. He publicly used an extremely sexist and inappropriate phrase to try to shut down a female participant. Publicly. Why would the question in the thread focus on the attributes of the victim that apparently lead her to decide to comment about it? Or, in the minds of some, to "publicly" shame the perpetrator. The "public" nature of the sexist slur came first. Deciding that the problem here is the public reporting of the slur, while the public nature of the slur is ignored sends the message that the only thing wrong with the slur is that the woman spoke up about it.

Or worse yet, caused it. Please see several posts above where it is suggested that the woman should 'take responsibility' for the sexist comment, because she may have 'caused' it.

No. There is no situation wherein a woman can be held responsible for the sexist slur a man chooses to say.

People are responsible for their own words. I am in no way responsible for a man saying to me, "are you on your period, or something?"

I'll address the second part of your initial question in a future post.

(ETA: I see once again you beat me to the topic by already discussing some of the context of what I mentioned above! consider my contribution an object lesson, then, or something. :D )
Yeah, sorry about that. You're correct that I chose to mirror the question that Schmo said he wanted to know the answer to.
he/him

Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:06 pm

Yeah, sorry about that. You're correct that I chose to mirror the question that Schmo said he wanted to know the answer to.
No apologies necessary, I understood the context. I thought it was still an good question to answer, if only because it came up in the thread multiple times.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Lem wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:55 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
[If you choose to view sexism as a moral referendum on a person's character, and you feel the need to add "balance" by defending the person's character, then what's the effect? First, the discussion never gets to the harmful effect of the words themselves. Second, because we all understand that Analytics is just like us and is trying to be a good person, approaching the issue as a moral judgment on Analytics inevitably leads to the conclusion that Analytics is not "sexist" and Lem is "overreacting."
I appreciate you trying to sum up the various thought processes. Given that I have posted here regularly for 7 years, it is incredibly hurtful that, upon reporting a sexist comment, the response by some is

"Second, because we all understand that Analytics is just like us and is trying to be a good person..."

"Us"? Will there ever be a time when the women in a group become part of the "Us"? Will this ever be the statement?

"Second, because we all understand that both LEM and Analytics are just like us and both are trying to be good people...."
Sorry for causing hurt. I should have addressed the asymmetry explicitly. When we approach sexism as a moral issue, then, as Schmo described, the focus becomes whether the man is guilty or innocent of sexism. As I've said, that's a game rigged heavily in favor of the man. But then, once the man is determined to be innocent, then we just pronounce woman guilty. I mean, if it's not the man's fault, it's the woman's, right? So, people feel free to draw all kinds of conclusions about the woman's intent, without ever giving her the presumption of being a "good guy" that the man gets. Treating sexism as a moral defect is not only unproductive, it's screwed up.
he/him

ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

candace Owens had a great point about Black Lives Matter. How much do the lives of Black women matter? Does anyone even care that it was Jacob Blake's black girlfriend who called the police after Blake showed up in violation of a restraining order after having digitally raped her? No, she doesn't matter. Does it matter that Jacob Blake was wielding a knife at police. No, all that matters is that the policemen tasked with responding to this call was a white man and if you're not outraged by that and presume guilt on the part of the police officer unless proven innocent, if you don't celebrate Jacob Blake by wearing his name on your helmet, then you're cancelled.

Last edited by ajax18 on Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

I have a small favor to ask of everyone. Please do not let the troll derail the thread.

Thanks in advance
he/him

Analytics
High Priest

Post by Analytics »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:11 pm
No, Analytics, that's not my point at all. My point is that shifting one's perspective changes how one thinks about the entire issue....
I appreciate you taking the time to write this; you make some good points.

Here are my final comments.

1) Yes, the original trigger to this was a garden-variety miscommunication, but it seems that once a woman plays the sexism card, the man is in a no-win situation. If there is a bona fide simple misunderstanding but she responds by playing the sexism card, I’m suddenly blaming the victim for trying to clarify where I’m coming from. Granted, that is better than saying the eleven words that I'll never say again, but it still leads to the same place.

2) The social dynamics of “white woman tears” is fascinating. But I’m not sure this situation is really the same. While I did make an attempt to explain what set me off and why, I always took full responsibility for what I said and accept it as being as mindboggling harmful as it was.

3) I don’t think the topic of whether or not I’m a “good guy” is worth having, but I’ll note that an assertion of me being an okay human being doesn’t necessarily have to drown out a conversation about how incredibly damaging my eleven words were. For example, when Schmo said, “Yes, Analytics typed a sexist comment. Does that make him a sexist in his heart? I suppose it must, right? We should open an investigation.” Somebody could have responded, “Drop the damned sarcasm. I’m sure he is a fine person at heart, but let’s keep the conversation focused on how extremely damaging his words were…” Agreeing with that meaningless assertion and pivoting back to something productive would seem to be a better strategy than arguing with it.

4) Have I been emotional, overreactive, and flipping out in this conversation? Absolutely. But I have a penis and therefore I have no excuse for such behavior.

5) Ultimately, we all need to take responsibility for what we say, and we need to take responsibility for the way we respond to others, even when we are provoked. Likewise, we all need to take responsibility for how we react to the hurtful things others say. We all ought to try to be improve ourselves, and we all ought to try to be forgiving and live by the golden rule. I honestly believe that.

6) I take full responsibility for the eleven words I said and the harm they have caused. I made a sincere and heartfelt apology. But since that apology, over 200 agonizing posts have been made, causing the nuclear meltdown to continue with no end in sight. We could pretend that 100% of the blame for the continuing meltdown is on me and the three-or-so gentlemen who naïvely noted their belief that I’m not a monster. But saying this minority group deserves 100% of the blame for the continued meltdown wouldn’t be honest. Furthermore, if a woman wants to be a strong, thoughtful, independent, intelligent, and liberated grownup, it seems a bit patronizing to give her a pass on all her behavior whenever she plays the sexism card.

7) Again, I'm really sorry for uttering those eleven words.

And with that, I’ve said all I’m going to say on this topic.
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:22 pm
Sorry for causing hurt.
No hurt caused by you! Again, I see what you are doing as re-voicing, in a calm manner, some of the opinions given. I appreciate the opportunity to, hopefully as calmly, say how those opinions made me feel. I would not have done it on the other thread, given how fast we were approaching the scenario Chap explained, that women who speak up tend to get unfairly labeled as 'shrill, aggressive,' etc.
.... So, people feel free to draw all kinds of conclusions about the woman's intent, without ever giving her the presumption of being a "good guy" that the man gets....
Exactly.
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Analytics wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:34 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:11 pm
No, Analytics, that's not my point at all. My point is that shifting one's perspective changes how one thinks about the entire issue....
I appreciate you taking the time to write this; you make some good points.

Here are my final comments.

1) Yes, the original trigger to this was a garden-variety miscommunication, but it seems that once a woman plays the sexism card, the man is in a no-win situation.

If there is a bona fide simple misunderstanding but she responds by playing the sexism card, I’m suddenly blaming the victim for trying to clarify where I’m coming from. Granted, that is better than saying the eleven words that I'll never say again, but it still leads to the same place.
You think that if you had clarified, instead of making a sexist slur, we would be in the 'same place'?

No. We would absolutely have not been. You are completely wrong with that. I wrote my post only and exclusively because of your inappropriate slur, NOT because of our prior disagreement.
6) I take full responsibility for the eleven words I said and the harm they have caused.
See previous quote. You said even if you hadn't said them, this would have happened. That is not taking responsibility.

I made a sincere and heartfelt apology.
And I accepted it, and also apologized.
But since that apology, over 200 agonizing posts have been made, causing the nuclear meltdown to continue with no end in sight. We could pretend that 100% of the blame for the continuing meltdown is on me and the three-or-so gentlemen who naïvely noted their belief that I’m not a monster. But saying this minority group deserves 100% of the blame for the continued meltdown wouldn’t be honest. Furthermore, if a woman wants to be a strong, thoughtful, independent, intelligent, and liberated grownup, it seems a bit patronizing to give her a pass on all her behavior whenever she plays the sexism card.
Could I just clarify? By 'playing the sexism card,' are you referring to my public objection that you said "your thinking is cloudy. Are you on your period?"
7) Again, I'm really sorry for uttering those eleven words.
Except that you are implying that most of what happened afterwards is the woman's fault for 'playing the sexism card'.

I would say 'unbelievable', but sadly, it's not. There is still a great deal of sexist thought in this post that is far too common still. The fact that I am getting accused of 'playing the sexism card' when I posted about a public sexist slur made against me is just bizarre.
Last edited by Lem on Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.