Bummer Summer Jobs Disaster

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Alf'Omega
2nd Counselor

Re: Bummer Summer Jobs Disaster

Post by Alf'Omega »

The silver lining from the pandemic is that it forced so many service industry workers out of work, that it gave them ample opportunity to reassess their career paths and many have chosen not to return. But not because they're getting welfare. That doesn't even make sense because you can't qualify for unemployment benefits if your employer is calling you back to work.

The silver lining is that businesses have been forced to dramatically increase wages because for the first time in decades, the laborers have leverage. This pandemic also put the lie to the GOP talking point that businesses cannot afford to pay $15/hr. That's exactly what the Addidas store at our local outlet mall is paying new workers. Retail. My neighbors teenage daughter's first job making $15 under Biden. If the GOP had their way businesses would be able to pay as little as they wanted.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Alf'Omega wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:35 am
ajax18 wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:04 am

Obama's third term continues to fundamentally transform America just as Obama promised back in 2008. What was once a working economy has become a pick your check up in the mail welfare economy.
You truly do live up to your reputation as the resident racist. Why is it that, for you, everything is explained with welfare? How do you explain the fact that the number of food stamp recipients plummeted during Obama's second term? And how is it you're so ignorant that you don't know that most welfare recipients also work?
What exactly is racist about what I said in the quote above? Because I criticized Obama's economic policies?
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Alf'Omega
2nd Counselor

Post by Alf'Omega »

ajax18 wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:43 pm
Alf'Omega wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:35 am

You truly do live up to your reputation as the resident racist. Why is it that, for you, everything is explained with welfare? How do you explain the fact that the number of food stamp recipients plummeted during Obama's second term? And how is it you're so ignorant that you don't know that most welfare recipients also work?
What exactly is racist about what I said in the quote above? Because I criticized Obama's economic policies?
Your obsession with welfare recipients is inherently racist, and you know it. Like Lee Atwater explained, the Republican party's Southern Strategy came when they realized they could no longer just say "nigger nigger." Instead, they had to focus on on things like busing, state's rights, demeaning welfare etc because those were things that affected minorities they most.

It seems no matter the subject, you pivot to whining about welfare. But you're totally ignorant about the subject. Most welfare recipients work. No worker who "refuses to go back to work" can receive those unemployment benefits you're whining about. And your claim that Obama wants a nation of people not working but instead picking up a check, is also racist and just flat out stupid. Obama created more jobs than Trump and Bush combined. SO has Biden for that matter. And the number of overall welfare beneficiaries plummeted during Obama's second term. You're just flat out wrong about literally everything you say on this subject.

And you don't know what Obama's economic policies are. You have no grasp of it because you do nothing but read over the top biased right wing nonsensical sources like Brietrbart daily.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

So if being against welfare is racist, does that mean minorities rely and collect on these handouts in a higher proportion than nonminorities? Are you no longer using the line that white people are the ones who end up on welfare most often?
Last edited by ajax18 on Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Alf'Omega
2nd Counselor

Post by Alf'Omega »

White people are the biggest recipients of welfare, but you're just too ignorant to accept that as factual. And you're not just "against" welfare, you're absolutely obsessed with it. But only when talked about in the context of food stamps or unemployment benefits, which you attribute to "the Left" trying to buy votes from minorities. Corporate welfare, you're apparently Ok with. And you won't address the fact that you've been wrong on every idiotic assertion you've made about welfare and the Obama administration's initiative.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Alf'Omega wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:03 pm
White people are the biggest recipients of welfare, but you're just too ignorant to accept that as factual. And you're not just "against" welfare, you're absolutely obsessed with it. But only when talked about in the context of food stamps or unemployment benefits, which you attribute to "the Left" trying to buy votes from minorities. Corporate welfare, you're apparently Ok with. And you won't address the fact that you've been wrong on every idiotic assertion you've made about welfare and the Obama administration's initiative.
When you say “biggest recipients of welfare,” what do you mean? If you’re talking about TANF, which is the federal welfare program, then Hispanics receive the largest share by percentage, with black folks second and whites third. https://www.acf.hhs.gov/sites/default/f ... pdf#page12

If you’re not talking about TANF, then what is the source of your information?
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

What’s the rate or percentage by demographic? For example x% of white, non-hispanic receive x-type of welfare. Or x-number out of 100,000 of black receive x-type of welfare.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Alf'Omega
2nd Counselor

Post by Alf'Omega »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:20 pm
What’s the rate or percentage by demographic? For example x% of white, non-hispanic receive x-type of welfare. Or x-number out of 100,000 of black receive x-type of welfare.

- Doc
Dunno. But I'd think that'd be irrelevant to Ajax's point about welfare. He despises them, but he doesn't understand most of them are white. And that's not even getting into corporate welfare.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Looking at current figures, the TANF breakdown is as I described it. The SNAP breakdown is white - black - hispanic. I don’t know why the racial/ethnic percentages are so different between the two programs.

For TANF, the black and white percentages are within a couple of percentage points. They simply changed orders between the article Alf cites and the most recent data.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.