Life Under Coronavirus

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Re: Life Under Coronavirus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Jersey Girl wrote:Dear lord, what is this place discord.app? Anyone know? One of my relatives just posted this.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... XU6UctUGDE

Seen this one. And the one that says if you vigorously jump up and down and don’t feel tightness in your chest, you aren’t infected. And zinc will block the virus. And colloidal silver. One of the first things WHO had to post on its web page was a warning about fraudulent treatments and preventative medicines. When people get scared, quacks get rich.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

moksha wrote:
aussieguy55 wrote:Jerry Fawell says its a plot to stop Trump from getting re-elected

Fallwell Jr. says Liberty University will continue to hold classes.

David Shor did a data analysis strongly suggesting the behavioral response to the corona virus threat is diverging significantly between liberals and more conservative non-white Democrats and conservatives. This seems to match the general sense you get from seeing the cultural response.

This would be somewhat reassuring for me locally as Madison is dominated by liberals and, sure enough, there's been a major decline in public activity over the past few days.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:Dear lord, what is this place discord.app? Anyone know? One of my relatives just posted this.

Seen this one. And the one that says if you vigorously jump up and down and don’t feel tightness in your chest, you aren’t infected. And zinc will block the virus. And colloidal silver. One of the first things WHO had to post on its web page was a warning about fraudulent treatments and preventative medicines. When people get scared, quacks get rich.

I'm all in favor of some extremely aggressive use of our laws against fraud being used against people trying to profiteer off a pandemic with quackery. Throw the book at them.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

I know the FDA has already cracked down on some fraudsters. I read that Taiwan (I think) imposed a 10k fine on promoters of “cures.”
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Res Ipsa wrote:

Do you mean the Myth Busters tab on the WHO website? I wish it said something that covered the salt water/vinegar rumor. It doesn't.

I'm so stinking angry because 1) someone published that online, 2) that a gullible portion of the population will believe it without investigating it or even thinking about it, and 3) that they pass it on to others who believe likewise.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

The WHO has redesigned the website in the past few days. When I started using it, there was a big orange button near the top of the page. If I recall correctly, it used the word fraud. It mostly talked about ancient medicine cures being promoted in China and neighboring countries. I’m disappointed that it hasn’t incorporated more recent bunk and has been demoted down the page. (At last for the mobile version.). I’m networked with a bunch of local libertarian prepper types who are assisting local relief efforts. They seem to believe and post every one of these rumors, I guess because they don’t trust big government or big business or big science, but they trust something posted by some guy being breathlessly passed around Facebook.

_MeDotOrg
_Emeritus

Post by _MeDotOrg »

If we're talking virus film festivals, I'll nominate 12 Monkeys. One of my very favorite Brad Pitt roles. Based on a (who else?) Phillip K. Dick story. Directed by Terry Gilliam, of Monty Python fame.

In the future, a virus has wiped out 99% of humanity. The remaining humans live underground in a brutal dictatorship of scientists, who send a man back in time to our present day to discover the origins of the deadly virus.

=====

On another note, as a virus antidote, today I ate a bowl of matzo ball soup. Jewish Tamiflu.

By the way, SARS-CoV-2 is the name of the actual virus. The illness we get is called COVID-19. Scientists believe the virus originally came from bats, possibly getting into the food chain in a market in Wuhan Province. When a virus crosses the line into another species, its new host has no antibodies to fight the virus. Zinc or vinegar will not save you.

Only matzo ball soup.
"The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization."
- Will Durant
"We've kept more promises than we've even made"
- Donald Trump
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

This. It's awesome.

How to flatten the curve

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics ... FSqGHzElxw
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_MsJack
_Emeritus

Post by _MsJack »

My ex-MIL posted this on her Facebook wall yesterday. Gods. It takes 5 seconds of Googling to find the Snopes article debunking it.

At least my Trump-loving boomer aunt has finally stopped doing "it's just the flu" posts and bragging about the two trips plus three cruises she's still going to take this year because it's all hype and she's not afraid.
"It seems to me that these women were the head (κεφάλαιον) of the church which was at Philippi." ~ John Chrysostom, Homilies on Philippians 13

My Blogs: Weighted Glory | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable | Twitter
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Res Ipsa wrote:I know the FDA has already cracked down on some fraudsters. I read that Taiwan (I think) imposed a 10k fine on promoters of “cures.”

- Doc "buy stock now" NC4Me
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.