President and FLOTUS Test Positive for Covid-19

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_MeDotOrg
_Emeritus

Re: President and FLOTUS Test Positive for Covid-19

Post by _MeDotOrg »

Senator Mike Lee of Utah just announced he has tested positive for Covid-19.
"The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization."
- Will Durant
"We've kept more promises than we've even made"
- Donald Trump
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

I just heard Trump sent his tweet only after the AP reported he was positive.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Today’s negative test announcements mean almost nothing. People can test negative on a PCR test for the first few days of infection, when the infected person is contagious. Everyone who has had close contact with Hope, Melania, The President, or Mike Lee over the past few days should be in quarantine. And these results are from the rapid antigen tests that the White House typically uses, there is something like a 30% false negative rate.

Mark Meadows was asked today whether those who have had close contact with those infected, he talked about people who have tested negative and said that it wouldn’t surprise him if more folks tested positive. That means “no.” So, the virus will continue to spread through the executive branch and perhaps the legislative branch.

This is a self-infected wound for Donald Trump and his enablers. I feel bad for the Secret Service members, some of whom have already been infected. But I have no sympathy for the Trumps, Hicks, and Lee. They have the best healthcare in the country, unlike the mostly Hispanic workers in meat plants, whose employers deny their workers compensation claims.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Themis
_Emeritus

Post by _Themis »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:44 pm
So, the virus will continue to spread through the executive branch and perhaps the legislative branch.
That's the sense I get that it is currently spreading in the white house. Up to now they have not been taken enough precautions. I guess that means Trump found a way out of the last two debates. It will be interesting to watch how this effects his campaign and how voters will react.
_Analytics
_Emeritus

Post by _Analytics »

Some Schmo wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:20 pm
I just heard Trump sent his tweet only after the AP reported he was positive.
I can't help but wonder if Trump really sent the tweet. After all, he called it "COVID-19" rather than "the China virus."

He hasn't tweeted anything since, and missed a conference call with governors he was scheduled to attend. And no statement or press conference with his doctor? Given his weight, pre-existing conditions, age, uncharacteristically good English in his last tweet, and proclivity to lie, I suspect he is suffering from something worse than mild symptoms.
It’s relatively easy to agree that only Homo sapiens can speak about things that don’t really exist, and believe six impossible things before breakfast. You could never convince a monkey to give you a banana by promising him limitless bananas after death in monkey heaven.

-Yuval Noah Harari
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Today’s negative test announcements mean almost nothing.
I mentioned this last night. There's no cause for thinking that anyone else dodged the bullet on the first go-round of testing. Just as there is no cause to think Trump's mild symptoms will remain mild.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Themis wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:08 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
So, the virus will continue to spread through the executive branch and perhaps the legislative branch.
That's the sense I get that it is currently spreading in the white house. Up to now they have not been taken enough precautions. I guess that means Trump found a way out of the last two debates. It will be interesting to watch how this effects his campaign and how voters will react.
If there are no candidates I don't see how you think there will be an election if that is what you are saying above.
Chinese Proverb
_Analytics
_Emeritus

Post by _Analytics »

Right as I was posting that, his doctor released a cryptic statement that Trump is "fatigued but in good spirits" and implies he is in worse condition than the first lady who "remains well with only a mild cough and headache."
It’s relatively easy to agree that only Homo sapiens can speak about things that don’t really exist, and believe six impossible things before breakfast. You could never convince a monkey to give you a banana by promising him limitless bananas after death in monkey heaven.

-Yuval Noah Harari
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Post by _ajax18 »

Since we are dreaming, if he were to die the day after he loses the election, it would avert the constitutional crises of Trump falsely claiming he really won and 50 million people who fantasize of another civil war believing him.
Do you think Pence is going to just concede and not fight a fraudulent election? Dream on.
And when the confederates saw Jackson standing fearless as a stone wall the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Analytics wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:35 pm
Right as I was posting that, his doctor released a cryptic statement that Trump is "fatigued but in good spirits" and implies he is in worse condition than the first lady who "remains well with only a mild cough and headache."
It doesn't matter what their current condition is right now. It could head South for any and/or all of them.
Chinese Proverb