The real Breonna Taylor story

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Re: The real Breonna Taylor story

Post by _Gunnar »

Themis wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:34 am
We succeed by working together and getting along even though we may have a number of differences. The problem with Ajaxland is not that it would have little diversity, It is their attitudes and actions toward those who do not look like them, think like them, or do as they demand.
This is what I was really talking about. The key to viable and successful diversity is the willingness of various groups to honestly listen to each other and rationally consider others' views, and reconsider their own, when warranted. In this kind of society there is a high likelihood that the best ideas and solutions will eventually bubble or float up to the top like the cream in milk. Of course it will not work if each of the diverse groups stubbornly insist that only their way is best, and refuses to even look at what others have to offer. In a scenario like that, I agree that diversity will be more of a detriment than an asset. Agreement on things like AGW and environment will inevitably be achieved if most people commit to honestly seeking and yielding to the inexorable demands of all the best available empirical, scientific evidence.

It should always be possible to come to a unity of opinion on what empirically works best on the really important life or death and health and environmental issues, and still be beautifully enriched by diversity in more subjective issues like art, literature, music, culinary preferences, etc.
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

Themis wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:34 am
Not sure I agree. The problem is not diversity, but our attitude towards those who have different opinions, looks, etc. Societies can do quite well without having lots of people with different opinions, and in some cases they don't function well with too many different ideas on how to do things. Especially opinions that are really wrong.
Societies can be successful without diversity, but they are at a disadvantage. Really wrong opinions are useful to contrast against those that are really right. You don't know what's really good until you've tasted really bad. And even in a democracy, you need a strong leader who listens to all diverse opinions but then makes informed, final decisions accounting for as many opinions as possible.

The strength of the US Constitution is the framework of diverse leadership, and three independent branches of gov't. Many people complain our leaders never get anything done (to your point). The question you've got to ask yourself is, "What's a better system for me, the US system of gov't (a democracy generally) or an autocracy?" We can see what happens to this country when the three branches lose their equilibrium, like they have under this administration.

I agree with you, however, that it all comes down to attitudes, and as I mentioned before, people need to operate in good faith to maximize democratic success.

I have come to the solid conclusion that many people are mostly babies, want to be led around, and are starting to think that autocratic rule would be a good thing. Of course, they're banking on the idea their autocrat will give a sh-it about them, or will agree with what they want.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_Themis
_Emeritus

Post by _Themis »

Some Schmo wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:22 pm
You don't know what's really good until you've tasted really bad.
People can easily understand something tastes really good without ever tasting something really bad. Some people may need to learn by making mistakes, but others can understand something is a mistake and avoid it. I didn't need to smoke cigarettes to understand they were a mistake.
The strength of the US Constitution is the framework of diverse leadership, and three independent branches of gov't.
In what way do you need diverse leadership, and three independent branches of government can make it very hard to get things done. Most democracies that rank more democratic then the US have one or two.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

Themis wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:53 pm
Some Schmo wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:22 pm
You don't know what's really good until you've tasted really bad.
People can easily understand something tastes really good without ever tasting something really bad. Some people may need to learn by making mistakes, but others can understand something is a mistake and avoid it. I didn't need to smoke cigarettes to understand they were a mistake.
Don't get bogged down by the example. The point is that people's appreciation for good things is amplified by understanding the bad. I'm not sure how you can argue that.
Themis wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:53 pm
The strength of the US Constitution is the framework of diverse leadership, and three independent branches of gov't.
In what way do you need diverse leadership, and three independent branches of government can make it very hard to get things done. Most democracies that rank more democratic then the US have one or two.
The main problem with our gov't is propaganda persuades people to think inaccurately about it. It's not the system of gov't that's really at fault; it's that because people's perceptions are skewed, they don't hold certain leaders accountable. There would be more compromise and bipartisanship if leaders feared their jobs a little more. I, for one, think lifetime appointments to the Supreme Court is pure insanity, for instance. That makes the US system less democratic.

I'm not willing to say we necessarily "need" diversity as much as want it. Yes, many countries get on without it, but the worst systems of gov't for the people are clearly in countries with centralized, authoritarian power structures.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_Icarus
_Emeritus

Post by _Icarus »

Ajax, I'm waiting for Ben Shapiro to tell us the "real story" about the murder of Ronald Greene, who was beaten to death over a traffic stop in Louisiana last year. Recent audio was released of the cop saying, “I beat the ever-living f--- out of him,” the trooper said in a 27-second audio clip obtained by The Associated Press. In graphic, matter-of-fact chatter picked up on his body-camera mic, a Louisiana State trooper implicated in the death of a Black man can be heard talking of beating and choking him before “all of a sudden he just went limp.”

The troopers initially blamed his death on injuries from a car crash at the end of a chase. It was covered up as usual...

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/ap- ... k-73372086

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6S3xiovgWM
"One of the hardest things for me to accept is the fact that Kevin Graham has blonde hair, blue eyes and an English last name. This ugly truth blows any arguments one might have for actual white supremacism out of the water. He's truly a disgrace." - Ajax
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Post by _ajax18 »

Icarus wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:12 pm
Ajax, I'm waiting for Ben Shapiro to tell us the "real story" about the murder of Ronald Greene, who was beaten to death over a traffic stop in Louisiana last year. Recent audio was released of the cop saying, “I beat the ever-living f--- out of him,” the trooper said in a 27-second audio clip obtained by The Associated Press. In graphic, matter-of-fact chatter picked up on his body-camera mic, a Louisiana State trooper implicated in the death of a Black man can be heard talking of beating and choking him before “all of a sudden he just went limp.”

The troopers initially blamed his death on injuries from a car crash at the end of a chase. It was covered up as usual...

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/ap- ... k-73372086

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6S3xiovgWM
He's on spotify. Tune in during your commute. Perhaps he can help you debunk critical race theory, which says that you and me are both racist and benefit from white privilege. The fact that you've bowed down and confessed your racism doesn't mean the mob is going to let you off the hook. You still have a Fitzpatrick skin type of less than II and therefore are still a racist. The guy getting kicked in the head on the left coast while kneeling before the black mob phony security guards this summer had politics closer to you than me.
And when the confederates saw Jackson standing fearless as a stone wall the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
_Icarus
_Emeritus

Post by _Icarus »

ajax18 wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:30 am
He's on spotify. Tune in during your commute. Perhaps he can help you debunk critical race theory, which says that you and me are both racist and benefit from white privilege. The fact that you've bowed down and confessed your racism doesn't mean the mob is going to let you off the hook. You still have a Fitzpatrick skin type of less than II and therefore are still a racist. The guy getting kicked in the head on the left coast while kneeling before the black mob phony security guards this summer had politics closer to you than me.
So no comment on that murder by cops huh?

Figures. All you ever do is show up whenever you think you've read an irrefutable debunking of something on the left and then run away or derail like crazy when you're proven wrong.

Meanwhile...

UNREDACTED FBI DOCUMENT SHEDS NEW LIGHT ON WHITE SUPREMACIST INFILTRATION OF LAW ENFORCEMENT
"One of the hardest things for me to accept is the fact that Kevin Graham has blonde hair, blue eyes and an English last name. This ugly truth blows any arguments one might have for actual white supremacism out of the water. He's truly a disgrace." - Ajax
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Grand jury recordings.

Breonna Taylor Case: Grand Jury Recordings, Sep 21, 2020 Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0IO6uW7sjY

Breonna Taylor Case: Grand Jury Recordings, Sep 21, 2020 Part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVBlSh4ydgw

Breonna Taylor Case: Grand Jury Recordings, Sep 21, 2020 Part 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gibd2VLpDlk
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Following Wednesday's document dump, the real story about the cover up is coming out. The officer who got the warrant may end up being criminally prosecuted. The internal affairs investigation was marred by a conflict of interest, and the Department spent weeks trying to manufacture a case against Walker to justify their actions. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/lo ... d-n1242657 There will be more as reporters sift through the documents.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Icarus
_Emeritus

Post by _Icarus »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:33 pm
Following Wednesday's document dump, the real story about the cover up is coming out. The officer who got the warrant may end up being criminally prosecuted. The internal affairs investigation was marred by a conflict of interest, and the Department spent weeks trying to manufacture a case against Walker to justify their actions. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/lo ... d-n1242657 There will be more as reporters sift through the documents.
So in other words, the "real" story isn't coming from Ben Shapiro.