Rittenhouse Trial: Calling Res Ipsa

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
K Graham
God

Re: Rittenhouse Trial: Calling Res Ipsa

Post by K Graham »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:33 pm
canpakes wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:20 pm

And this is what the trial is about. Did Rittenhouse act reasonably considering his circumstances.

On the face of it, he has a right to defend himself. What I can’t speak to is how strongly he may have believed that he was going to die unless he started firing, or how he ended up running from a crowd to begin with. I thought that at one time he was caught on video walking towards a larger crowd prior to that point (‘the action’) with rifle in hand. Is it reasonable for some folks in that crowd to have perceived Rittenhouse as a threat somewhere along that timeline, and given chase?
I don’t know if that was a rhetorical question, but I’ll answer in good faith:

F no.

I’m not being facetious. Anyone with half a brain would’ve seen a dude with a rifle and walked away while dialing 911. Once shots were fired?

Double F no. Run away and dial 911.

Hitting a dude in the head with your skateboard is psychotic and stupid. I think there was a black guy who tried curb stomping him, but he got lucky because he ran away. Drawing your handgun and doing a feint instead of emptying your mag into him was absolutely bananas. But you know who wasn’t shot? Everybody else who understood engaging a guy with a rifle was supremely stupid and didn’t do it.

- Doc
I could be wrong, but my understanding was that they were trying to disarm him because shots had been fired and then they see this guy walking down the middle of the street strapped with an assault rifle. So maybe it was more like they were responding to him the way they would respond to a mass shooter at a school...?
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal" - Ajax18
K Graham
God

Post by K Graham »

Kyle was lucky that none of the rounds he fired hit innocent bystanders.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

K Graham wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:40 pm
I could be wrong, but my understanding was that they were trying to disarm him because shots had been fired and then they see this guy walking down the middle of the street strapped with an assault rifle. So maybe it was more like they were responding to him the way they would respond to a mass shooter at a school...?
I think that’s a reasonable assumption. However, it’s terrible reasoning if the reasoning includes hand-to-hand combat. I think in school shooter situations they want you to first hunker down, second run away, and third if a shooter is engaging you in your space then you fight. If a shooter is running toward law enforcement then let him make that mistake.

Personally I think x-amount of people there were there to “F” crap up. When they saw KR shoot, I forget the pedophile’s name (Rosenbaum?), the first guy it was an opportunity to hurt or kill ‘the Other’. And just to be fair, I honestly believe KR was there hoping crap would go down the way it did. I think he wanted to kill some ‘communists’ or ‘antifa’ or whatever he thinks of the rioters. I’m not watching the trial, so I’m not sure if the prosecutor tried to get KR to admit to his true motivations - I think is the only real chance at securing a conviction for murder.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
K Graham
God

Post by K Graham »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:52 pm
K Graham wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:40 pm
I think that’s a reasonable assumption. However, it’s terrible reasoning if the reasoning includes hand-to-hand combat. I think in school shooter situations they want you to first hunker down, second run away, and third if a shooter is engaging you in your space then you fight. If a shooter is running toward law enforcement then let him make that mistake.

Personally I think x-amount of people there were there to F crap up. When they saw Kyler Rasmussen shoot, I forget the pedophile’s name (Rosenbaum?), the first guy it was an opportunity to hurt or kill ‘the Other’. And just to be fair, I honestly believe Kyler Rasmussen was there hoping crap would go down the way it did. I think he wanted to kill some ‘communists’ or ‘antifa’ or whatever he thinks of the rioters. I’m not watching the trial, so I’m not sure if the prosecutor tried to get Kyler Rasmussen to admit to his true motivations - I think is the only real chance at securing a conviction for murder.

- Doc
I just think it could have very easily gone the other way. A couple of people were successful at getting the jump on him. But they were horrible street fighters. Had the foot stomp or the skateboard connected as intended, he likely would've been disarmed without any loss of life. They probably would've kicked the crap out of him, but i think if the guy with the gun wanted him dead he would've fired on him instead of assuming that merely aiming it at him would make him surrender.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:25 pm
Chap wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:03 pm
This entire thread leads me to ask - Please remind me how it makes America a better place to live in that people can wander round the streets with loaded guns, just whenever they think it might be a good idea.
I personally think it’s a form of mass insanity that our culture tolerates it. But believe you me, those who fetishize weapons are deadly serious about keeping them, so we’re stuck. It’d be, and I’m not overstating this, a civil war if the federal government attempted to outlaw guns and non-hunting rifles.

- Doc
Sadly, I agree with every single thing you say above.
K Graham
God

Post by K Graham »

255918528_4626490837406004_5646681328426149010_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
K Graham
God

Post by K Graham »

Is his name Rittenhouse or Rasmussen? I've seen him referred to here multiple times as Rasmussen. Is that his name?
Xenophon
God

Post by Xenophon »

K Graham wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:52 am
Is his name Rittenhouse or Rasmussen? I've seen him referred to here multiple times as Rasmussen. Is that his name?
I suspect that Shades changed "K+R" as an abbreviation to Kyle Rasmussen given the threads about him in the other forums. If you have the language filter on it will display as whatever the filter has been set to. The auto-correct function successfully removed all confusion around another acronym/initailism.
He/Him

“If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation.”
― Xenophon
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

K Graham wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:30 pm
The crying is suspect to me, only because he didn't seem emotional at all during the actual "traumatizing" event.
So you think traumatized folks are outwardly emotional?
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

K Graham wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:52 am
Kyle Rittenhouse.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!