Flashback: Hunter's Laptop Russian Disinformation

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
ajax18
God

Re: Flashback: Hunter's Laptop Russian Disinformation

Post by ajax18 »

Stelter didn't call it a Russian disinformation campaign. He said the story was Russian disinformation. He meant that the laptop was fake and the emails were fake. This is certainly what Stelter and the media led their audience to believe at the time. Stelter suggested that the emails were made up at the time.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2022 ... formation/
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Besides that, when the only folks allowed to see anything reportedly originating from the laptop are the WSJ and Fox News (both of which essentially make up a large percentage of the so-called ‘mainstream’ media at this point), just who is doing the burying?
I think the New York Times even realizes that most Democrats understood Russian disinformation to mean that the laptop and the emails were fake and made by bots, not the way Res Ipsa has interpreted the term Russian disinformation as used by Stelter and the mainstream media. That's why they buried their admission in paragraph 24 a year and a half after the debate.

And Stelter spent exactly zero seconds clarifying what he meant by Russia disinformation today.

Last edited by ajax18 on Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

ajax18 wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:28 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:26 pm
Biden says “what they are accusing me of” is a Russian plant. That’s not him saying “the laptop is a Russian plant.” They weren’t accusing Biden of being a laptop.
Is that how you really understood the quote at the time? And why didn't Biden state this in the debate more clearly at the time? Why didn't the left wing media state it this way at the time rather than just try to bury the story?
Because it was clear in context at the time. All the citations you refer to leave out what Trump had just accused him of:
Trump wrote:Trump: If this stuff is true about Russia, Ukraine, China, other countries, a wreck-- If this is true, then he's a corrupt politician. So don't give me the stuff about how you're this innocent baby. Joe, they're calling you a corrupt politician
The only reason you don’t think it’s clear is that the news sources you trust pull quotes out of context all the time. They count on you not to go back and look at the actual context.

Trump accused Biden of being a crooked politician — not of being a laptop. So it’s perfectly clear that when Biden responded with “what they are accusing me of” he meant Trump’s accusation that Biden is a crooked politician.

The whole laptop verification issue is a made up controversy. Hunter never denied that it was his laptop and, more importantly, never denied the authenticity of the emails. The authenticity of both was confirmed last year. So why is this a story at all today? My guess: The right wing folks don’t want to have to talk about their previous parroting of Russian propaganda that Putting was using to drive a wedge between the US and Ukraine.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Here is something else that Brietbart wants its readers To forget. Most of the media criticism was aimed at the Rupert Murdoch owned New York Post’s story that introduced us all to Hunter’s laptop. The criticism was directed first and foremost to a bald faced lie told in the early paragraphs of the story:
Hunter Biden introduced his father, then-Vice President Joe Biden, to a top executive at a Ukrainian energy firm less than a year before the elder Biden pressured government officials in Ukraine into firing a prosecutor who was investigating the company, according to emails obtained by The Post.
When the Post printed that paragraph, it knew it was a 100% lie. The prosecutor the Post referred to was not investigating Burisma at the time Biden pressured the government to fire him. The government had investigated Burisma based on claims of wrongdoing that occurred before Hunter was invited to join the company and brought no charges. Biden pressured the Ukraine government to fire the prosecutor because he wasn’t investigating and prosecuting corruption — not because of a non-existent investigation of Burisma.

What the Post has reprinted was the first version of the smear, which had shown to be absolutely false months before. It was the repeating of this obvious lie that resulted in Twitter’s reaction to the story as well as criticisms by many intelligence officers and journalists criticized. But without the lie, nothing on the laptop would be a major scandal. So the paper led with the lie.

Now Brietbart wants to rewrite history and claim that everyone at the time claimed the laptop itself was the issue. That’s another lie. The Russian disinformation references were to the narrative being pushed.
he/him

Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

ajax18 wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:47 pm
Stelter didn't call it a Russian disinformation campaign. He said the story was Russian disinformation. He meant that the laptop was fake and the emails were fake. This is certainly what Stelter and the media led their audience to believe at the time. Stelter suggested that the emails were made up at the time.

Quote him and what the other “media” said at the time. The story was in the Post. And it was that Joe Biden met with a Burisma official several months before he pressured the Ukaine government to fire a prosecutor who was investigating Burisma. That story is completely false. There was no meeting and there was no Burisma investigation when Biden pressured the government to fire a prosecutor who was refusing to conduct investigations.
he/him

Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

ajax18 wrote:

How do you know what he meant? Here’s the story Brietbart linked to as evidence that Seltzer said That the laptop itself was Russian disinformation. https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/18/media/ne ... index.html The article says the provenance of the laptop is strange, which it was. But the thrust of the criticism is at the entire story being pushed by the post — not specifically whether the laptop was Hunters.

This is what’s called straining at gnats and swallowing camels. The actual story is, Rupert Murdoch tabloid publishes false smear to try to top election to Trump.
he/him

honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

ajax18 wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:28 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:26 pm
Biden says “what they are accusing me of” is a Russian plant. That’s not him saying “the laptop is a Russian plant.” They weren’t accusing Biden of being a laptop.
Is that how you really understood the quote at the time? And why didn't Biden state this in the debate more clearly at the time? Why didn't the left wing media state it this way at the time rather than just try to bury the story and ban it from Facebook?
Jesus Christ, ajax. You can go back and read articles from when this happened all of 2 years ago. I shared one in this thread. The attempts to actually investigate the matter hit an immediate wall when Rudy wouldn't let most outlets access the actual content taken from the laptops. All the Trump campaign wanted was for the media to start talking about the laptop as they insinuated there was a scandal. But it became clear the laptops did not contain evidence of a scandal even by the WSJ and FOX news folks who had access to the emails. It wasn't entirely clear who was the source for pushing the claims (the Trump campaign or a foreign party) so what you are demanding wasn't known. What was known, and what you don't seem to get, is that the emails weren't being shared in a format that would allow their authenticity to be verified. So, I don't know. Maybe you take IOUs from customers whose claims their bank account is totally real with real money in it but won't share verifiable means of confirming, I guess. Or maybe you don't take this stuff as seriously?

Mark - see how this circular nonsense isn't called trolling even thought it's frustrating to engage? Is this what you think legitimate conservative talking points are and this is good faith political discussion? If so, I can see why so many posters feel there is a baked in antagonism towards conservatives on the board. It's because some people have forgotten what conservative politics are, and instead just think opinion ping-pong is discussion.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

honorentheos wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:55 pm
Mark - see how this circular nonsense isn't called trolling even thought it's frustrating to engage? Is this what you think legitimate conservative talking points are and this is good faith political discussion?
Indeed. This kind of thing gives conservatism a bad name.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:42 pm
ajax18 wrote:

Quote him and what the other “media” said at the time. The story was in the Post. And it was that Joe Biden met with a Burisma official several months before he pressured the Ukaine government to fire a prosecutor who was investigating Burisma. That story is completely false. There was no meeting and there was no Burisma investigation when Biden pressured the government to fire a prosecutor who was refusing to conduct investigations.
Biden is on tape threatening to fire the prosector.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

ajax18 wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:54 pm

Biden is on tape threatening to fire the prosector.
There are lengthy threads about this during the first Trump impeachment trial. The prosecutor Biden, as VP and the US admin rep handling Ukraine, demanded be removed was corrupt himself and NOT investigating corruption. The claim Biden did this as a favor to Burisma after meeting with a rep arranged by his son is so much made up BS. You need to be able to recognize that partial verification of a claim is a tool of con men, ajax.