Dr. Shades's spelling and/or grammar lesson of the day

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Lem
God

Re: Dr. Shades's spelling and/or grammar lesson of the day

Post by Lem »

dantana wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:25 pm
Here's a little tidbit that certainly blongs...
Great. No way I'm asking my 20-somethings what 'blonging' is, nor do I drink Bia beer, so yet another need to
"copy a phrase and find" ITS "source easily."

(Notice I didn't quote H's sentence fully, as autocorrect clearly has a thing for unnecessarily adding apostrophes. I'm pretty sure some coder, now cackling to themselves as they descend into madness, did that on purpose. And yes, they is a plural reference to a singular coder. Read Sybil.)
dantana
2nd Counselor
Location: Joined 7/18/11, so, apparently, position of senior ranking member.

Post by dantana »

So, I consulted with my atty. last night and he advised me thus; If I raise my right leg to the square, and declare in open forum, in bold font, that all writings and ramblings of the poster known as 'Dantana' are the sole intellectual possession of said poster, that board administrator known as 'Dr Shades would be then legally barred from holding up any of these writings as an example to his board of how to write like an idiot. He further advised that any non-compliance by Mr. Dr. Shades could result in him being sued "for everything he's got."

I explained to my atty., I believe that consisted pretty much of an obscure Mormon message board and a couple of MAGA hats. He said, "oh."
Last edited by dantana on Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nobody gets to be a cowboy forever. - Lee Marvin/Monte Walsh
dantana
2nd Counselor
Location: Joined 7/18/11, so, apparently, position of senior ranking member.

Post by dantana »

Lem wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:47 pm
dantana wrote:
Great. No way I'm asking my 20-somethings what 'blonging' is, nor do I drink Bia beer, so yet another need to

(Notice I didn't quote H's sentence fully, as autocorrect clearly has a thing for unnecessarily adding apostrophes. I'm pretty sure some coder, now cackling to themselves as they descend into madness, did that on purpose. And yes, they is a plural reference to a singular coder. Read Sybil.)
:lol:
Nobody gets to be a cowboy forever. - Lee Marvin/Monte Walsh
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

dantana wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:01 pm
So, I consulted with my atty. last night and he advised me thus; If I raise my right leg to the square, and declare in open forum, in bold font, that all writings and ramblings of the poster known as 'Dantana' are the sole intellectual possession of said poster, that board administrator known as 'Dr Shades would be then legally barred from holding up any of these writings as an example to his board of how to write like an idiot. He further advised that any non-compliance by Mr. Dr. Shades could result in him being sued "for everything he's got."

I explained to my atty., I believe that consisted pretty much of an obscure Mormon message board and a couple of MAGA hats. He said, "oh."

Just put a copyright notice on each of your posts.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:37 pm
dantana wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:01 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: you know this is how... dare I say it, jubilees get started.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Lem wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:47 pm
dantana wrote:

Alright, you. But point taken. :)
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Lem wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:41 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:37 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: you know this is how... dare I say it, jubilees get started.

Haven't you noticed me doing that with my posts before? I've definitely done that and the reason is, well it's a long story and one involving a knock down drag out conflict! :lol:

Could someone punctuate the above sentences because I clearly don't give a damn.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Chap wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:48 pm
Am I the only one to think that there is a distinction to be made between matters of grammar and matters of style?

For example -

GRAMMAR: "might of done it" is a grammatical error for "might have done it", caused by a misunderstanding of the contracted form "might've done it". It is a misrepresentation of a basic feature of English in common with a number of other languages, which is that a past tense can be formed by using the verb 'to have' and a past participle such as 'eaten', thus 'I have eaten my dinner'. English speakers do not however say 'I of eaten my dinner'.

STYLE: How many dots should be used in an ellipsis, and so on.

The first is a matter of the core structure of the language. Mess that up badly enough, and you will either not be understood at all, or may be misunderstood. The second is a matter of conventions about issues that often don't really affect the meaning at all, such as the example above, and whether one should put single quotes inside double quotes, or vice versa. Editors who spend their time correcting MSS for influential publishers have codified decisions on such matters, mostly to avoid having to spend time arguing what idiosyncrasies an author can or cannot be permitted in their writing. You want to publish with them? OK, follow their rules. Otherwise, do whatever the heck you think makes your writing most effective.

Remember that the ancient Greeks (for instance) originally did without punctuation entirely, and even dispensed with spaces between words. They let the grammar and syntax do the work, and it worked pretty well for them. Some of our obsessions would therefore seem quite bizarre from their point of view.
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. For nailing it. Shades fixates on form while completely ignoring function. I have a little example, but this is the spoken word, not written.

If you'd care to listen to the nurse speak in this video and ask yourself if we should care about how she speaks vs what is being expressed? Please view the entire 3:55 minute video and just take it all in.

Baby cardiac patient dances along with pediatric tech everyday in the hospital l GMA Digital
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKRMcaifkeY

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Hey Lem, dig this.

Copyright © 2020 Jersey Girl. All rights reserved.

Slava Ukraini!
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:57 pm
Hey Lem, dig this.

Copyright © 2020 Jersey Girl. All rights reserved.
Hey Lem, dig this.

I'm stealing Jersey Girl's quote here. Just want to see what happens to this post.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.