In Which Res Ipsa Abandons the Illusion of Control Over What People Post In a Thread f/k/a Thinking About ...

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Lem
God

Re: Thinking About Feminism

Post by Lem »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:10 pm
Some Schmo wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:03 pm

...In short, I'm empathetic to both of their frustration. And as messy as that thread was, in the end, it seems Lem got what she wanted. Analytics sounds like a changed man, vowing never to use those words again. That's a positive outcome, no?
...I don’t know whether Lem got what she wanted. I’d have to ask her.
Speaking just to this idea of getting what I wanted, I already responded about that to Analytics:
Lem wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:22 pm
Analytics wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:50 pm
...Wrapping this up, what do you want from me?
Not a damned thing.
The next time you blindside me with accusations of sexism for transgressions such as using the term "full-time missionaries" to refer to the statistic labeled "full-time missionaries" in the Church's statistical report, what should I do? If I put my hands in my pockets, put a contrite look on my face, look down, and mumble "sorry," will that make you happy?
No. I would be completely satisfied if you just never again say to a woman:

"YOUR THINKING IS CLOUDY. ARE YOU ON YOUR PERIOD OR SOMETHING?"
It's just that simple. The overreaction of some on this topic is understandable as defensiveness, but as was mentioned earlier, their defensiveness masks the actual issue--the harm done by such sexist remarks.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Lem wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:38 pm
The overreaction of some on this topic is understandable as defensiveness, but as was mentioned earlier, their defensiveness masks the actual issue--the harm done by such sexist remarks.
So this is part of what makes progress on this issue slow. There aren't a lot of humans alive, women or men, who don't get defensive when attacked. It's a natural reaction. It would be better if there was a way to make the complaint without going on the attack.

Many would correctly react to this comment by saying, "There's no good way for a woman to make a complaint like this without being accused of being hypersensitive or overreacting."

So the whole thing is difficult. We have cultural traditions that are poisonous to our progress here. Women are reasonably asking men to change their behavior, and men are scared an important part of themselves is about to be amputated, rather than realizing it's their sick appendix, they don't need it, and if they don't have it removed, it's about to explode.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:10 pm
I really appreciate your willingness to talk this through.
Right back at you, buddy. I just want to tell you that you've given me a lot to chew on.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Lem, I've got to be honest with you and tell I hate that we fought. I've been insensitive to your feelings in my communications, and frankly an asshole, so...

I want to tell you that I'm sorry for my part in it. I actually intended to help and screwed it up.

Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Some Schmo wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:50 pm
Lem, I've got to be honest with you and tell I hate that we fought. I've been insensitive to your feelings in my communications, and frankly an asshole, so...
You've got an admirable quality of forgiveness. I am still feeling aggrieved. I could sense they meant those hurtful things and it was not a societal slip like with Analytics. It felt like stepping onto the court with Riff and Bernardo and catching a shiv in the ribs.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Some Schmo wrote:

I want to tell you that I'm sorry for my part in it. I actually intended to help and screwed it up.
Thank you, Some Schmo. I've always considered you a friend here, and I was having a really hard time as well. I really didn't expect the reactions I got, and I didn't react that well either. I apologize as well for my part that didn't help.

(Also, I think your appendix metaphor is genius! Well done. :D )
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Moksha wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:34 am
Some Schmo wrote:
You've got an admirable quality of forgiveness. I am still feeling aggrieved. I could sense they meant those hurtful things and it was not a societal slip like with Analytics. It felt like stepping onto the court with Riff and Bernardo and catching a shiv in the ribs.
Mind. Blown.

You could sense that they meant those hurtful things and you are still feeling aggrieved. I am the longest running female poster on this board and all I can say is it's just a good thing that you aren't me, bird.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:37 am
I am the longest-running female poster on this board and all I can say is it's just a good thing that you aren't me, bird.
I assume you would be calm, cool, and collected. :D
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Moksha wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:34 am
Some Schmo wrote:
Five pages of discussion, and Moksha’s contribution is how he feels aggrieved. Lol. You can’t make this crap up.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:58 pm
Five pages of discussion, and Moksha’s contribution is how he feels aggrieved. Lol. You can’t make this Crap up.

- Doc
Don't have to make it up, you just have to read your posts. Taking unjustifiable poop from you just because you felt like some kind of masked avenger is definitely cause for anger.