Judge Grants Trump’s Special Master Motion

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Judge Grants Trump’s Special Master Motion

Post by Res Ipsa »

Hawkeye wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:23 pm
My recollection is that Manafort was under surveillance before he joined the campaign, but I'd have to look it up. The claim that Trump's campaign was "spied on" is just the usual hyperbolic MAGA nonsense.
So why do you all lend any credence to what William Barr has to say now, if he's guilty of speaking MAGA hyperbolic nonsense?
Because, if even he thinks Trump is in deep weeds over the Mar-al-Lago documents, that's a pretty good indication that Trump is, indeed, in deep weeds. Perhaps ask yourself a similar question.

by the way, have you found the quote from Barr yet?
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:49 pm
My recollection is that Manafort was under surveillance before he joined the campaign, but I'd have to look it up. The claim that Trump's campaign was "spied on" is just the usual hyperbolic MAGA nonsense.
I found a timeline put together by the Johnson and Grassley via the HSGAC. (PDF Download Warning).

An investigation into Manafort had been started in January (he joined Trump's campaign late March). As an added layer of irony, it was "predicated on his activities as a political consultant to members of the Ukrainian government and Ukrainian politicians."

PDF Download Warning -- OIG Report. It's the footnote on page 101 of the PDF [page 66 of the report].
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:55 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:49 pm
I found a timeline put together by the Johnson and Grassley via the HSGAC. (PDF Download Warning).

An investigation into Manafort had been started in January (he joined Trump's campaign late March). As an added layer of irony, it was "predicated on his activities as a political consultant to members of the Ukrainian government and Ukrainian politicians."

PDF Download Warning -- OIG Report. It's the footnote on page 101 of the PDF [page 66 of the report].
Thanks, Dr. Steuss. Good stuff.
he/him

Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

Post by Hawkeye »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:41 pm
Hawkeye wrote:

So why do you all lend any credence to what William Barr has to say now, if he's guilty of speaking MAGA hyperbolic nonsense?
Because, if even he thinks Trump is in deep weeds over the Mar-al-Lago documents, that's a pretty good indication that Trump is, indeed, in deep weeds. Perhaps ask yourself a similar question.

I haven't had time to dig through for it. It's from when Ben Shapiro had him on his podcast. He talks about it in his book, "One damn thing after another."
The best part about this is waiting four years to see how all the crazy apocalyptic predictions made by the fear mongering idiots in Right Wing media turned out to be painfully wrong...Gasoline would hit $10/gallon. Hyperinflation would ensue.
Veritas
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Hawkeye wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:05 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:41 pm

I haven't had time to dig through for it. It's from when Ben Shapiro had him on his podcast. He talks about it in his book, "One damn thing after another."
I couldn't find reference to Shapiro's podcast, but Barr made a number of harshly critical statements of BLM in 2020. This is pretty representative:
And he denounced “these so-called Black Lives matter people,” who—he declared—are “not interested in black lives. They’re interested in [using] props—a small number of blacks who are killed by police . . . to achieve a much broader political agenda.”
https://www.lawfareblog.com/what-bill-b ... t-it-means
he/him

ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

I couldn't find reference to Shapiro's podcast, but Barr made a number of harshly critical statements of BLM in 2020. This is pretty representative:
You'd have to dig through the online transcripts. It's an hour long. Ben Shapiro was not a Trump supporter in 2016. But unlike Mitt Romney or Liz Cheney, he's a real conservative who values preserving, standing up for, and focusing on conservative values.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPQB5YaOpGU
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:12 pm
And he denounced “these so-called Black Lives matter people,” who—he declared—are “not interested in black lives. They’re interested in [using] props—a small number of blacks who are killed by police . . . to achieve a much broader political agenda.”
https://www.lawfareblog.com/what-bill-b ... t-it-means
Wowza. What a difference a speaking platform and time makes.

Here's his statement through the DOJ that was issued during the height of the 450+ George Floyd protests at the end of May 2020. DOJ Link
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

I think the protests in Lafayette Square affected his position.
he/him

Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Hawkeye wrote:
Barr knows that stealing those secret documents is illegal. Barr does not wish to harm America further in Trump's defense. At least you can take solace in knowing that he did not urge the crowd to chant, "Lock him up!"
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

ajax18 wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:43 pm
The idea that former presidents can't have classified documents is wrong.
Confidential and secret documents are not his to steal or sell when he leaves office, nor can they be gifted to foreign governments in exchange for loans. Trump cannot point to the Grifter Exception in the Constitution, because such an exception does not exist.

Anyway, here are all the Fox, Binger, and Ajax arguments on this issue condensed in a short video by reporter Desi Lydic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrQRcWHzuUg
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace