I HEREBY STEP DOWN FOR NOW

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Atlanticmike
God

Re: I HEREBY STEP DOWN FOR NOW

Post by Atlanticmike »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:23 pm
Kishkumen wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:02 pm
What makes obvious trolling of this kind so terribly idiosyncratic that we are helpless in the face of it?

Honestly, we are not. Just put the guy on a holiday, as has been done multiple times in the past.
It really IS that simple... I mean LDSfaqs was put into Spirit Prison for crying out loud. That's not even banning, but it sure solved a myriad of problems. Stick the Trollers down in Spirit Prison and let them thrash at each other for a month or two. How is this so hard to grasp? DO I need to become a moderator to show how it is done?
Man you’re proud of yourself. You went out of your way to break the rules and forced Shades to give up power to your butt buddies because you can’t stand when someone disagrees with you.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:23 pm
Kishkumen wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:02 pm
What makes obvious trolling of this kind so terribly idiosyncratic that we are helpless in the face of it?

Honestly, we are not. Just put the guy on a holiday, as has been done multiple times in the past.
It really IS that simple... I mean LDSfaqs was put into Spirit Prison for crying out loud. That's not even banning, but it sure solved a myriad of problems. Stick the Trollers down in Spirit Prison and let them thrash at each other for a month or two. How is this so hard to grasp? DO I need to become a moderator to show how it is done?
Philo, there are three of us and we all aren't on line at the same time. This is brand new to us, and we're talking right now. Hell, we can't even put someone on the queue because we don't have that level of administrative access. It's easy to be a back seat moderator/administrator. Not so easy when you're responsible for the decisions, including the precedent they set.

by the way, moderator is a crappy job. You want my place? You can have it. But I won't be back here. Ever. Because I have no desire to participate in a forum run by mob rule.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:20 pm
Kishkumen wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:17 pm

I, for one, would welcome being corrected of my possible misremembering of the way trolling has been dealt with in the past. I recall Shades putting trolls on holiday. Anyone can step in to correct me in my error, if I am in error. What broke down that now we are sitting on our hands while a deleterious pest is having us all for breakfast? I feel like I am living in some kind of alternate universe of DM, where good people sit back and let bad actors have a field day. Kinda like the years of 2016-2020, when everyone watched a movement of kooks drag the country into a funhouse of horrors.

This is not a jab directed at you personally, RI. No one gets to this place alone. This is obviously a community problem. There is libertarian, and then there is voluntary sitting duck.
I get it and I don't take it personally. Can you recall who was put on holiday in the past?
Me.

Regards,
MG
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:34 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:

I get it and I don't take it personally. Can you recall who was put on holiday in the past?
Me.

Regards,
MG
Thanks, MG. I recall you being queued. I'm not remembering you being temporarily banned. Was that before or after you were placed on the queue?
he/him

Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

Man. I just went back and read Shades opening post. Am I the only one that realizes Shades probably felt forced to do this? Am I the only that reads his opening post and sees he probably gave up his power to keep his friends? If what I say is true, do you really hate me that much you feel better now after taking away something he loves?
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Jersey Girl was banned for several years. I think Simon Belmont was also put on holiday. Anyone can step in to help me with the details. I am horrible at board history, hence my request for correction and clarification.
"Great power connected with ambition, luxury and flattery, will as readily produce a Caesar, Caligula, Nero and Domitian in America, as the same causes did in the Roman Empire." ~Cato, New York Journal
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Kishkumen wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:00 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Jersey Girl was banned for several years. I think Simon Belmont was also put on holiday. Anyone can step in to help me with the details. I am horrible at board history, hence my request for correction and clarification.
Jersey Girl was not banned for trolling. Belmont was, I believe, before my time. My lack of recollection may reflect the fact that I haven't been here for decades.
he/him

Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

And let me add this. Shades is the founder and visionary of this board and apparently he likes and looks up to Binger enough, Shades has a Binger quote as his signature. But what are you guys doing? You look for any opportunity possible to get rid of a strong opposing view that doesn’t correspond with the progressive board narrative. Have you guys even considered maybe you’re ruining it for shades?
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:39 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:34 pm

Me.

Regards,
MG
Thanks, MG. I recall you being queued. I'm not remembering you being temporarily banned. Was that before or after you were placed on the queue?
Honestly, I don’t remember the details. Memory fog.

I do remember that folks gave Shades a really hard time because they felt he had been too lenient with me. People were asking that I be permanently banned if I remember correctly. At the time I also made comments along the line that this board was somewhat of an echo chamber and alternate voices are squashed in one way or another. There is a difference between outright trolling and expressing views that may not be in tandem with the prevailing community standards of thought and belief.

I was accused of trolling hundreds of times, if not more. I don’t think I’m exaggerating.

By the way Shades, I feel bad that you have been squashed in one way or the other too. Group dynamics can lead to places where good people lose their voice and/or authority to steer things in a positive direction. I hope that your personal struggles balance out and that life goes in an upward trajectory for you.

If you want to do lunch again sometime, let me know! I’d love to chat with you again.

That’s all for me on this thread. I saw the link on Terrestrial and popped in to see what was going on. Kind of sad. I hope things are worked out so that this place can be an OPEN forum where all voices are heard and judged in a charitable way/manner.

I’ve found that at the end of the day a troll is in the eye of the beholder. From my vantage point I observed those ( in the past) that I saw as folks that were exhibiting troll like behavior whilst they were seeing the same in me.

Now, the moderators will have sole control over making that call. Should be interesting to watch/observe.

I don’t want this to turn into another MG thread as other threads have morphed into in the past…so I’m over and out.

Good luck resolving your issues.

On the whole, the three current moderators have been fairly equanimous from what I’ve observed. But what happens if one of those folks is replaced by someone like _______________________ ?

Regards,
MG
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:03 pm
And let me add this. Shades is the founder and visionary of this board and apparently he likes and looks up to Binger enough, Shades has a Binger quote as his signature. But what are you guys doing? You look for any opportunity possible to get rid of a strong opposing view that doesn’t correspond with the progressive board narrative. Have you guys even considered maybe you’re ruining it for shades?
Quoting someone is not the same as approving of all of their actions. This should go without saying, but unfortunately with you it does not.

The lie that you are cultivating here is that there are not strong opposing views on this board. That is absolutely untrue. Regular posters on this board disagree with each other and fight with each other about a lot of things. I have had big arguments, verbal fights even, with numerous people on this board.

What you are talking about, it seems to me, is your bizarro hobby-horse habits of hit and run posting of a certain ideological bent. You don't so much discuss anything as spam all over the place. If you were posting My Little Pony garbage, I would be just as eager to put you on holiday.

You're a childish nuisance.
"Great power connected with ambition, luxury and flattery, will as readily produce a Caesar, Caligula, Nero and Domitian in America, as the same causes did in the Roman Empire." ~Cato, New York Journal