doubtingthomas’s topics MEGATHREAD

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: doubtingthomas’s topics MEGATHREAD

Post by Res Ipsa »

What is your ultimate goal?
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:20 pm
1. Reducing violence. There are many reasons to suspect that social exclusion could lead to violence under certain circumstances.

2. I also want to point out that the Left doesn't care about young men. Many on the Left hate men. The rise of lonely men could be causing some problems in society.

3. The increasing number of single women over 40 could also be a problem. The favorite blog of Marcus, the Medium, points out, "Is there a problem with 45% of women being single? On an individual level, no. But on a societal level — perhaps ... So will 45% of women really be single by 2030? I don’t know. But if that is the case, it will be a symptom of the many challenges with modern dating — not something to celebrate."
https://medium.com/hello-love/study-pre ... bc99bad6a8

4. I also have pointed out other problems, most of them have been ignored here.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:28 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
1. Reducing violence. There are many reasons to suspect that social exclusion could lead to violence under certain circumstances.

2. I also want to point out that the Left doesn't care about young men. Many on the Left hate men. The rise of lonely men could be causing some problems in society.

3. The increasing number of single women over 40 could also be a problem. The favorite blog of Marcus, the Medium, points out, "Is there a problem with 45% of women being single? On an individual level, no. But on a societal level — perhaps ... So will 45% of women really be single by 2030? I don’t know. But if that is the case, it will be a symptom of the many challenges with modern dating — not something to celebrate."

Which goal is most important to you?
he/him

doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:31 pm

Which goal is most important to you?
Not wasting my time, which I been doing all these years here.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

OK. That’s easy.

Bye.
he/him

Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Res Ipsa wrote:

Sigh. Once again DT has googled a topic and thrown up some random piece without reading it.
Marcus wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:26 pm
Violent Misogynistic Extremism in the Skin of “Lonely, Single Men”
by MERCY FERRARS

A RECENT TREND on Tik­Tok is the rise of the “lone­ly, sin­gle man” arche­type, who skill­ful­ly clothes his misog­y­ny and hate for women in what he per­ceives as an exter­nal­ly imposed and per­pet­u­at­ed lone­li­ness. He suf­fers from a lack of sub­mis­sive women in the dat­ing pool who match out­dat­ed, if not out­right medieval, per­cep­tions of gen­der roles. He dis­likes every­thing about mod­ern women that he can pos­si­bly think of...

His nat­ur­al ene­mies are “alpha women,” women who are loud, out­spo­ken and con­fi­dent...

And con­sid­er­ing how much he dis­likes women, he spends a for­mi­da­ble amount of time being all up in their busi­ness...

https://ferrarsundfields.de/2022/09/04/ ... e-men/amp/
Sound familiar?
Exceedingly familiar.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:40 pm
OK. That’s easy.

Bye.
I am just curious, why do you waste your time attacking me? You told me, "I think the problem here is that you are doing your usual lazy shooting from the hip based on a couple of snippets", which is not true.

You couldn't back up what you pulled out of your ass.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Marcus wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:51 pm

Exceedingly familiar.
That's because it comes from a common source. Psychology Today.

Get a life.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Res Ipsa wrote:

2. I also want to point out that the Left doesn't care about young men. Many on the Left hate men. The rise of lonely men could be causing some problems in society…

As usual, DT takes his topics straight from misogynistic manosphere-type discussions. It’s nothing new, and many people have addressed it. Here’s a very well-stated take on his most recent argument. It’s uncanny how exactly DT’s concerns are addressed. :roll:
I've seen a lot of people talking lately about how the left needs to pay more attention to "men's issues" and "offer something for lonely young men." I'm having a hard time putting my finger on why exactly it bothers me, but I think it's something about the idea that men are somehow more lonely than other people, and that men have a special entitlement to NOT be lonely.

We've been in a pandemic for three years. There's war and economic instability and political division and all the rest. Everyone is lonely. Everyone feels alienated.

But our culture tells men they have a right to sexual and romantic companionship from women and attention/respect/praise from everyone. When they don't get it, they freak out.

The problem isn't men not getting sex/attention/their needs catered to. The problem is not that a lot of men are lonely. The problem is the expectation that has been instilled in men by our patriarchal culture that they should get all the sex/attention/care/praise/recognition they want, just because they're men.

The left doesn't need to feed into that expectation any further, especially not at a time when women are losing things like their basic rights to bodily autonomy or when even adult trans folks are living under the threat of government-mandated detransition.
Edit #2: People need to stop with the false dichotomies… "So you're okay with lonely young men turning to violence?" No. There are more than two options.

Edit #3: The argument that "We have to cater to lonely young men or they'll kill women" is very unsettling.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TwoXChromosome ... to_lonely/
Sound familiar? Again?
doubtingthomas
God

Evidence of strong bias against me

Post by doubtingthomas »

Boards like this one usually attract problematic and old people who have extreme views or strong feelings about political debates. It's become very clear to me that most people won't change their mind no matter what. If I choose the wrong words (even when my word are identical to the correct words) I get called a liar. Nobody tells me I made a mistake, people simply call me a flat out liar.

Then, people insist of linking me with Right wing groups. Why? Because people are very unhappy with the things I say even when the things I say are backed up by some evidence. People here simply don't like me.

Here's a good example of a strong bias against me.

Last year, Kukulkan said,
Kukulkan wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:39 am
We know from science that the brain is fully developed around 25 years old.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=155075&start=110

I responded to Kukulkan
doubtingthomas wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:48 am
On average. For many it is around 30. It is around 19 for people in low-income households. We are all different.
But Res Ipsa immediately challenged my comment
Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 1:42 am
The data are all about physical changes to some parts of the brain that typically occur in normally developing brains over time.
However, Res Ipsa had no interest in challenging Kukulkan's false statement. The claim that the brain "develops" or "matures" around 25 years old is false and not based on science.

“This is funny to me—I don’t know why 25,” Mills said. “We’re still not there with research to really say the brain is mature at 25, because we still don’t have a good indication of what maturity even looks like.” said Kate Mills, a neurologist.