Anyone know of some good movies?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Post by _Who Knows »

Runtu wrote:The Office (Ricky Gervais is brilliant)

in my opinion, the british version is better than the american one.
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
Will Schryver: "No, he didn’t." 3/19/08
Still waiting for Will to back this up...
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

Who Knows wrote:
Runtu wrote:The Office (Ricky Gervais is brilliant)

in my opinion, the british version is better than the american one.

Absolutely. Brilliant stuff.

Don't get me wrong. I like the American version, but sorry, no one plays the cluelessly smarmy boss quite like Ricky Gervais.
_silentkid
_Emeritus

Post by _silentkid »

Ricky Gervais is a comedic genius. Have you seen Extras? It's different than The Office, but still very funny.
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

If you want a smart sci fi film I reccomend Primer.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0390384/
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

I would definately put Seven Samurai in the top running for one of the best films of all time. I got a small collection of Kurosawas films from the Criterion collection at a second hand store. It also had Yojimbo in it which was the inspiration for Clint Eastwoods Fistfull of Dollars western.

Someone above mentioned My Neighbor Totoro. My Daughter loves that movie and asks to watch it all the time. Studio Ghibli makes some of the greatest animated films of all time. Totoro is more for kids, but Princes Mononoke is very much a film for all ages, with heavy themes and action. Also I would recommend Spirited Away which has a great message about being good people (Particulary in regards to the "No Face" character).

There havent really been any newer movies I have wanted to see. I did watch the old classic Murphys Romance on AMC not too long ago. that's a really great film to sit and watch with the wife.

Gaz

P.S. Theres a movie coming out soon about the Battle of Thermopylae that looks interesting. Link: http://300themovie.warnerbros.com/[/i]
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_MormonMendacity
_Emeritus

My favorite film of all time

Post by _MormonMendacity »

A Few Good Men -- It touches me on so many levels -- I have watched it a hundred times.

And in the same genre -- The Jerk, Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles.
"Suppose we've chosen the wrong god. Every time we go to church we're just making him madder and madder" --Homer Simpson's version of Pascal's Wager
Religion began when the first scoundrel met the first fool.
Religion is ignorance reduced to a system.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Wow, that was a bit like taking a drink from a firehose. Thanks to everyone!

With all those titles, where do I start?

Mind if I narrow it down just a little bit? Would everyone mind just telling me their single, top, #1 favorite movie?

(Like I said, this is just so I know where to start!)

Thanks in advance!
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley