Anyone know of some good movies?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Thanks, folks, for your recommendations!

I'm not a big fan of Metallica, so I'm afraid I probably won't rent Cunning Stunts. I'm still looking for Def Leppard's In the Round. . . In Your Face, though.

I don't know jack squat about Bob Dylan, so I might or might not rent a documentary about him. I know Bob Dylan is a singer and is a considered a legend for some reason, but I don't know any of his songs.

I've seen Lost in Translation and Fargo. I'll be sure to rent Barton Fink if it's anything like the typical Coehn Brothers fare. I've never heard of Jim Jarmuch, but on your recommendation I'll probably look into his films.

Judging from Ray's description of The Hills Have Eyes, I'm DEFINITELY going to rent it ASAP! When it comes to radiation and mutations, you can't lose!

I've seen Casablanca, but I haven't seen Chinatown, Vertigo, Taxi Driver or Sunset Boulevard so I'll rent those. I don't think I've ever seen film noir, so I can't say I'm a fan.

Is Laura considered film noir?

I'll look into Cache. I'm not too sure how much I enjoy bizarre films, but I'll give David Lynch's and Wes Anderson's films a try. I'll also rent Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Adaptation, and The Squid and the Whale (never heard of that last one).

I've seen, and enjoyed, V for Vendetta. I've also seen the new version of Sabrina. I haven't seen Miami Vice, though, so I'll pick it up soon.

Thanks again for your y'all's input! This'll keep me busy for a while.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Post by _Who Knows »

Have you seen the Saw movies? The matrix and LOTR trilogies? Harry Potter? Walk the Line? The m. night shyamalan movies? friday night lights? 40 YO virgin?

I'm just reeling off what I've seen lately...
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
Will Schryver: "No, he didn’t." 3/19/08
Still waiting for Will to back this up...
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

Who Knows wrote:Have you seen the Saw movies? The matrix and LOTR trilogies? Harry Potter? Walk the Line? The m. night shyamalan movies? friday night lights? 40 YO virgin?

WK and I have a special bond...we both like the same types of movies. ;)

The only one on the list I didn't really care for is 40 Year Old Virgin. I thought the humor was lame. "Animal House" is much better. LOL
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

liz3564 wrote:
Who Knows wrote:Have you seen the Saw movies? The matrix and LOTR trilogies? Harry Potter? Walk the Line? The m. night shyamalan movies? friday night lights? 40 YO virgin?

WK and I have a special bond...we both like the same types of movies. ;)

The only one on the list I didn't really care for is 40 Year Old Virgin. I thought the humor was lame. "Animal House" is much better. LOL

Some films I have enjoyed:

Y Tu Mama Tambien
Dr. Strangelove
Gallipoli (or just about anything else from Peter Weir)
The Official Story (it's really unsettling for me to think of the parallels with Mormonism)
Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown (or just about anything else from Almodovar)
It Happened One Night
Mr. Deeds Goes to Town
Fargo
Wings of Desire
_gramps
_Emeritus

Post by _gramps »

A second hand up for WINGS OF DESIRE. One of my all time favorites. Wim Wenders is superb.

Nice call on that one Runtu. I had forgotten that one even though I had watched it a couple of months ago again.

And Almodovar rocks.

Hey Shades, since you didn't go for my Dylan suggestion (LOL), how about Miyazaki, Japanese animation?

Get Totoro. Still one of my all-time classic favorites. In english, it is something like My Neighbor Totoro. In Japanese, Tonari No Totoro. All of Miyazaki's stuff is great.

And no one has mentioned Kurosawa. Take your pick. All great in their own way.
I detest my loose style and my libertine sentiments. I thank God, who has removed from my eyes the veil...
Adrian Beverland
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

gramps wrote:A second hand up for WINGS OF DESIRE. One of my all time favorites. Wim Wenders is superb.

Nice call on that one Runtu. I had forgotten that one even though I had watched it a couple of months ago again.

And Almodovar rocks.

Hey Shades, since you didn't go for my Dylan suggestion (LOL), how about Miyazaki, Japanese animation?

Get Totoro. Still one of my all-time classic favorites. In english, it is something like My Neighbor Totoro. In Japanese, Tonari No Totoro. All of Miyazaki's stuff is great.

And no one has mentioned Kurosawa. Take your pick. All great in their own way.

My son and I watched Seven Samurai not long ago. What a great film.
_Mister Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Mister Scratch »

Dr. Shades wrote:Thanks, folks, for your recommendations!

I'm not a big fan of Metallica, so I'm afraid I probably won't rent Cunning Stunts. I'm still looking for Def Leppard's In the Round. . . In Your Face, though.

I don't know jack squat about Bob Dylan, so I might or might not rent a documentary about him. I know Bob Dylan is a singer and is a considered a legend for some reason, but I don't know any of his songs.

I've seen Lost in Translation and Fargo. I'll be sure to rent Barton Fink if it's anything like the typical Coehn Brothers fare. I've never heard of Jim Jarmuch, but on your recommendation I'll probably look into his films.

Judging from Ray's description of The Hills Have Eyes, I'm DEFINITELY going to rent it ASAP! When it comes to radiation and mutations, you can't lose!

I've seen Casablanca, but I haven't seen Chinatown, Vertigo, Taxi Driver or Sunset Boulevard so I'll rent those. I don't think I've ever seen film noir, so I can't say I'm a fan.

Is Laura considered film noir?

Film noir is the great, classically American genre that arose right after WWII. It tends to be dark, gritty, and concerned with crime. The protagonist is often a down-on-his luck, somewhat loserish everyman who typically gets lured in by an irresistible yet dangerous woman. (The "femme fatale" is one of key features of noir.) The genre is related to European Existentialism, but is truly and rightly characterized as a fundamentally American genre---it deals with good old fashioned American preoccupations with sex and violence. There are tons of great titles out there, often beautifully shot, acted, and all of that.

There are some variations on the genre, too, such as the Detective Story (e.g., Chinatown, The Big Sleep, Kiss Me Deadly) or the Policier (such as L.A. Confidential), although simply because a movie features police and/or policing does not qualify it as being noir, since noir is always, and perhaps above all, seductive. There are films that sort of "dance around" the genre, too, such as Blue Velvet, or Mulholland Drive, or Sunset Boulevard---movies that are not "classically" noir, per se, but contain enough elements to qualify them as fitting in.

Anyways, if you're interested in checking this out further, let me know, and I'll suggest some more titles. And yes: Laura is considered noir, though I am not as much of a fan of it as richard.
_grayskull
_Emeritus

Post by _grayskull »

I used to spend many hours a night watching movies. I found, after logging a couple thousand hours, that I got more mileage out of watching some of the better TV series from beginning to end on DVD. I would recommend watching all available seasons of:

Six Feet Under
The Wire
The Shield
Lost

That should keep you occupied for a very long time.
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

grayskull wrote:I used to spend many hours a night watching movies. I found, after logging a couple thousand hours, that I got more mileage out of watching some of the better TV series from beginning to end on DVD. I would recommend watching all available seasons of:

Six Feet Under
The Wire
The Shield
Lost

Yes!

And add the following to the list (if you like comedy):

Sex and the City
Seinfeld
Friends
Will and Grace
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

liz3564 wrote:
grayskull wrote:I used to spend many hours a night watching movies. I found, after logging a couple thousand hours, that I got more mileage out of watching some of the better TV series from beginning to end on DVD. I would recommend watching all available seasons of:

Six Feet Under
The Wire
The Shield
Lost

Yes!

And add the following to the list (if you like comedy):

Sex and the City
Seinfeld
Friends
Will and Grace

And some British comedies:

The Office (Ricky Gervais is brilliant)
Any of the Blackadder series
Red Dwarf