The name of Harry Potter #7 has been unveiled

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

The name of Harry Potter #7 has been unveiled

Post by _Dr. Shades »

For those who enjoy the Harry Potter series, as of last Thursday the name of the seventh and final book has been revealed:

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

I'd known about the popularity of the series ever since 2000 or so. But then the recommendations kept rushing in, even from adults, so I figured there had to be something to the whole phenomenon, so I decided to give the first book a try this past calendar year. I finished the first one, then said "why not?" and started the second book. By the time I had finished it, I was hooked.

So 2006 saw me read the entire Harry Potter series to date. I'm now caught up!

Man, that series has everything! It lacks for nothing! When the last one comes out, speculated to be July 07, I'll be standing in line with everyone else at one minute to midnight to pick up my copy. I'll probably be splitting the cost three ways with my two stepkids.

Any other Harry Potter fans out there?
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_OUT OF MY MISERY
_Emeritus

Post by _OUT OF MY MISERY »

Yes I am a big fan...

I understand that this will be JK Rowlings last HArry Potter book

Did you know that she was on welfare and starting writing the very first HP book on a napkin in a pub in England

and she chose her initials because she felt that if everyone knew that a woman had actually written Harry Potter the Publishers would have not taken her seriously.....

J.K. has brought many smiles to my face....
When I wake up I will be hungry....but this feels so good right now aaahhhhhh........
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

I read through books 1- 4, but never picked it up again. I think the movies have been good. I think my wife is current on the book reading though.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Gazelam wrote:I read through books 1- 4, but never picked it up again. I think the movies have been good. I think my wife is current on the book reading though.

That's too bad, 'cause #5 is probably my favorite. I thought it was quite superior to #4, so you ought to give it a shot.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

I hope I would read it before I see the movie. I'm still working my way through "Rough Stone Rolling". Then I need to read Roger Morrisons book he sent me. After that I wanted to re-visit Truman Madsens "Joseph the Prophet". Then I have three Nibley Books to Look at. I need to start asking for different gifts for birthdays and holidays, LOL

Gaz
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_keene
_Emeritus

Post by _keene »

The harry potter books are great, except for one great misgiving -- Harry does NOTHING! Throughout the entire series, Harry is regarded as a great hero, but he's stumbling through life as if some lord were just throwing crap in his way.

Not once has he had to rely on skill, charm, or wit to make his way through his adventuring. He's an observer, and the very few times he actually does something, it's usually only in response to such great emotional trauma that it can't be given to him as a valid act.

The story is told in a great way, but if you took Harry out of the books, it would be just as good of a story.

My girlfriend writes harry potter fanfiction all the time. She's got one idea that actually blew me out of the water, and I would love to see as a book in the series. Her concept is that when Voldemort first split his soul, that the split part went into the newly-conceived harry. Thus, Harry is all the good parts of Tom Riddle, banished from his soul. Hence, why Voldemort can't kill Harry, and their intense connection, etc. She's still writing the story, you can read it on fanfiction.net, her pen name is D.K. Dracona.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

keene wrote:The harry potter books are great, except for one great misgiving -- Harry does NOTHING!

DUDE!!! He went after the Sorceror's Stone, didn't he? He went into the Chamber of Secrets, didn't he? And whose idea was it to go save Sirius at the Ministry?

Perhaps you're the Ebenezer Scrooge of Harry Potterdom. :-)

Her concept is that when Voldemort first split his soul, that the split part went into the newly-conceived harry. Thus, Harry is all the good parts of Tom Riddle, banished from his soul.

Hmm, interesting. VERY interesting.

I'll go take a look at it. I'm glad it's online.

--Louis Midgley
_keene
_Emeritus

Post by _keene »

Dr. Shades wrote:
keene wrote:The harry potter books are great, except for one great misgiving -- Harry does NOTHING!

DUDE!!! He went after the Sorceror's Stone, didn't he? He went into the Chamber of Secrets, didn't he? And whose idea was it to go save Sirius at the Ministry?

Perhaps you're the Ebenezer Scrooge of Harry Potterdom. :-)

No, he kinda stumbled upon the entire situation. Nothing about who he is as a character brought him there. You could have replaced him with anyone and the story would have turned out in much the same way.