Saddam Hussein: Rest in Eternal Torment

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Tal Bachman
_Emeritus

Saddam Hussein: Rest in Eternal Torment

Post by _Tal Bachman »

If there is a hell, I hope Saddam Hussein's in it right now.

Yeah yeah yeah, I know some societies need a strong man. Even I have somewhat of an abiding sympathy for Gen. Pinochet, if only on grounds that Allende I think would have caused much more suffering. But Saddam Hussein...it is hard to fathom how his atrocities served anything but his own perverse pleasure.

Good riddance.
_Sam Harris
_Emeritus

Post by _Sam Harris »

Yeah, I was up at about midnight EST, and got the news. There were a few I've talked to who said let him live...why?
Each one has to find his peace from within. And peace to be real must be unaffected by outside circumstances. -Ghandi
_Brackite
_Emeritus

Re: Saddam Hussein: Rest in Eternal Torment

Post by _Brackite »

Tal Bachman wrote:If there is a hell, I hope Saddam Hussein's in it right now.

Yeah yeah yeah, I know some societies need a strong man. Even I have somewhat of an abiding sympathy for Gen. Pinochet, if only on grounds that Allende I think would have caused much more suffering. But Saddam Hussein...it is hard to fathom how his atrocities served anything but his own perverse pleasure.

Good riddance.

I agree with you here, Tal.
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

I'm not sure why other people wanted him to live, but I have had concerns about him being turned into a martyr and the violence escalating.

I just feel sick over what is happening in general in that part of the world, and for the parts we have played in it all. It's all so disturbing sometimes I think deliberate ignorance (ie, stop listening to the news about it) may be a good alternative.
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com
_Sam Harris
_Emeritus

Post by _Sam Harris »

beastie wrote:I'm not sure why other people wanted him to live, but I have had concerns about him being turned into a martyr and the violence escalating.

I just feel sick over what is happening in general in that part of the world, and for the parts we have played in it all. It's all so disturbing sometimes I think deliberate ignorance (ie, stop listening to the news about it) may be a good alternative.

My mom wonders why I don't listen to the news as much as she thinks I should.

It all started when the US/Britain/France went into Palestine post WWII, ousted some folks and made a home for the Jewish refugees...based on the predominantly Christian belief at the time. It's the Holy Land as the Bible says, so please vacate your house and give up your land for this Jewish family.

Couldn't we have found another way?

Oh, and I forgot, let's not forget all the financial help we've given Israel over the years, not to mention their weaponry as well.

Again, could we have not found another way?
Each one has to find his peace from within. And peace to be real must be unaffected by outside circumstances. -Ghandi
_Ray A

Post by _Ray A »

I agree with the execution, but like beastie I wonder if this will escalate the violence.
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

Here is a link to the execution video:

http://one.revver.com/watch/130549
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_OUT OF MY MISERY
_Emeritus

Post by _OUT OF MY MISERY »

beastie wrote:I'm not sure why other people wanted him to live, but I have had concerns about him being turned into a martyr and the violence escalating.

It can and it will ...I was listening and he was excuted at 10:05 eastern time...after about 20 minutes of flpping to the varoius news channels I watched the Comedy channel and have avoided all news today...

I wanted them to give him life...no martyr....oh well they did not ask me

I can only take so much...But I am very concerned as to what this will mean
When I wake up I will be hungry....but this feels so good right now aaahhhhhh........
_Roger Morrison
_Emeritus

Post by _Roger Morrison »

I too share your concerns. However, i'm one who believes "eye-for-eye" does nothing but create blind people. There is no denial of his atrocities, anymore than there is of US atrocities. Or that of anyother violence infested cultures. Count the US$ spent on wars from Vietnam to now. Imagine that money spent on US social needs to address home issues!! Be that as it is. Sadam was a warrior in a society that rewards warriors. In that he was a winner. Which means there were losers--lots of them. Who can honestly say Iraqu is better off now? Who can honestly say the US is better off now?

Hanging Sadam was a barbaric act to satisfy HIS enemy's blood-lust. Why not exciled as most dethroned dictators? To make an example? Of what? Of him, or his captors and there support team? Both poor examples of advanced societies. Ours just happens to be far removed from where our bombs killed thousands of "God's" children and left millions of others destitute. SHAME ON US!! "God" bless those poor souls! AND, "God Forgive America, as America Forgives others!"

Had Sadam been granted asylum what a great opportunity to de-fuse his supporters! Then to open meaningful negotiations by demonstrating our initial good faith. Hanging Sadam was a stupid nonsensical move demonstrating everything but intelligence and wisdom! Too late now to do anything but prepare for the worse. IMSCO, that is. Warm regards, Roger
_Tal Bachman
_Emeritus

Post by _Tal Bachman »

GIMR

If Israel does not have a right to exist, then no nation has a right to exist.

They have an ancestral claim - Jews have been there for millenia;

They have an international law claim - the United Nations voted in favour of allowing the Jewish settlers in Israel to create a nation;

And they have a (defensive) military conquest claim, as they defeated a multi-national Arab coalition, which invaded the day after the Brits left, though severely outmanned and outgunned;

I think this last claim is bolstered by the fact that Israeli UN delegates pleaded to negotiate a peaceful settlement with delegates from surrounding Arab nations, who however chose unwisely to try to annihilate them instead.

Underlying all this is the fact that, contrary to common misconception, there wasn't some independent Arab/Muslim country called "Palestine" prior to the creation of Israel...

These claims provide Israel a greater right to exist than has Canada, Australia, the United States, or any other country which comes to mind. That its formation was more recent than those of other nations of course has no bearing on its legitimacy, either...