Saddam Hussein: Rest in Eternal Torment

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Tal Bachman
_Emeritus

Post by _Tal Bachman »

Roger

Yes, religious mythology has played, and continues to play, a part in the problems of the Middle East, and in the case of Israel in particular. But to me, that only suggests that life and death decisions ought not be made with reference to mythological considerations.

I confess I am incapable of conceiving how the Jews are destroying Arab culture, Roger (unless you were referring just to the culture of the guys in camps). In the region of the world we are talking about, Israel is entirely surrounded by Arab nations, which are many many times the size of Israel, and which have populations many times the size of Israel's Jewish population. All you gotta do is look at a map and look at the population stats in any almanac. I mean, if the presence of Israel is really destroying Arab culture, then the Israelis must be superhuman or Arab culture ephemeral and useless, or both. But you'd probably agree neither is true.

This will sounds nuts to you I'm sure, but even the concept of "the Palestinian" is historically suspect. Most of the "Palestinians" as far as I can tell, are just Jordanians, or Jordanian descendants; and maybe what's most telling of all is that the Arab countries which supposedly hate Israel so much for their "mistreatment" of these refugees, won't themselves even accept them into their countries! It's almost like they wish to leave them there in order to continue to have something to fault Israel for...and it is at the expense of those refugees.

Jordan under King Hussein even kicked out the Palestinians (of course, he did have a good reason to: they caused a lot of trouble).

Anyway, what are the questions we didn't answer?
_Tal Bachman
_Emeritus

Post by _Tal Bachman »

By the way, Roger, when did I use demeaning adjectives to describe you?
_Roger Morrison
_Emeritus

Post by _Roger Morrison »

Tal Bachman wrote:Roger

Yes, religious mythology has played, and continues to play, a part in the problems of the Middle East, and in the case of Israel in particular. But to me, that only suggests that life and death decisions ought not be made with reference to mythological considerations.

I confess I am incapable of conceiving how the Jews are destroying Arab culture, Roger (unless you were referring just to the culture of the guys in camps). In the region of the world we are talking about, Israel is entirely surrounded by Arab nations, which are many many times the size of Israel, and which have populations many times the size of Israel's Jewish population. All you gotta do is look at a map and look at the population stats in any almanac. I mean, if the presence of Israel is really destroying Arab culture, then the Israelis must be superhuman or Arab culture ephemeral and useless, or both. But you'd probably agree neither is true.

This will sounds nuts to you I'm sure, but even the concept of "the Palestinian" is historically suspect. Most of the "Palestinians" as far as I can tell, are just Jordanians, or Jordanian descendants; and maybe what's most telling of all is that the Arab countries which supposedly hate Israel so much for their "mistreatment" of these refugees, won't themselves even accept them into their countries! It's almost like they wish to leave them there in order to continue to have something to fault Israel for...and it is at the expense of those refugees.

Jordan under King Hussein even kicked out the Palestinians (of course, he did have a good reason to: they caused a lot of trouble).

Anyway, what are the questions we didn't answer?

A question: When Jesus said, "...i bring you a new law..." in your observation of human relations, and conflict resolution have You seen that new-law applied in many cases? In Your considered opinion, do You think humanity would experience a better world IF humankind applied the "new law" rather than continue to live under the 'old law'?

Tal, i respectfully suggest we cannot continue to defy "God", as we have historically done--as you point out--and pretend to be guided by the spirit of peace, justice and good-will to ALL humanity. Borders are a construct of tribalism and serve only to differentiate and protect us from one another. Not "God's" way but Mammon's way. As i see things...

Tal, you seem to be more conciliatory in the above, thanks :-) The nasty adjectives--blood thirsty--were directed to Palestinans. suggesting the Israelis to have no blood lust. That we both know, from biblical "history" just ain't so.

I recently returned from a tour of Egypt--where my daughter is serving with a special International Force. One thing that impressed me was the Aswan Dam and how it expanded the quality of life for Egyptians on all socio-economic levels. A project that was not supported in anyway by Israel or by the USA. However there is a monument in appreciation for the support of the former USSR...

The difference between Eastern and Western cultures is obvious. As are the similarities of our culturally defined peoples. I saw mothers and fathers attending to, and loving their children--i venture to say with more open affection than i've generally observed in NA. My wife and i enjoyed the hospitality of a Moslem couple for dinner in their Cario home. There the young mother of two small children, one a few months old, was over joyed to share their family albumn's pictures with us.

I think we make grave mistakes discounting our similarites as we attempt to foster our ways on the differences that we see.

The middle east is a challenge for both cultures. It is an opportunity to demonstrate, and embrace the best of both. To be over whelmed by each others worse, serves NO CONSTRUCTIVE PURPOSE, IMSCO.

In an enlightened approach to Terrorism--which has always existed in some degree--i suggest it imperative that WE find out what it is that Terrorizes them. That they might have any reasons seems beyond our imagination... Roger
_MormonMendacity
_Emeritus

Post by _MormonMendacity »

I would rather welcome them to the United States than inject them into an impossible situation and then provide them with arms to fight their enemies.

Until they understand that "the right to exist" doesn't have any meaning if you're dead, then that plot of dirt will only be a graveyard and not a home.

Who came up with that stupid plan?

Oh...right...we did.
"Suppose we've chosen the wrong god. Every time we go to church we're just making him madder and madder" --Homer Simpson's version of Pascal's Wager
Religion began when the first scoundrel met the first fool.
Religion is ignorance reduced to a system.